Whose time come and gone, but they don�t know it?

Colin

I saw an interview with Joni Mitchell last year. She was lamenting that since her voice changed from the little girl lilt to a more typical adult woman sound, the critics havent forgiven her. I like her body of work, but I disagree. I think her time has come and gone, only she doesnt know it yet.

For who else has their time come and gone, but they dont know it?

Why? And how do you know this?

10.gif

I think Joni Mitchell, just like Billie Holiday come her "Lady in Satin" album, grows with age. The pain behind her raspy voice is so much more poignant, powerful, and moving than her bright-eyed and squeaky-clean vocals decades ago. I don't think her time has come at all.

----------------

On 7/1/2005 10:38:06 AM m00n wrote:

If we can expand this into television and movies? I would say Paris Hilton. She would get my number 1 vote. I never understood why she had any fame in the first place.

----------------

I hope her fame fades away like a bad fart.

Joni Mitchell ... Great songwriter...

She now is an older looking (which she can't help) woman playing a electric gitar still "thinking she is hip"...or relevant (she is not) She just failed miserably last year on MTV.

And I like her.

We do not embrace very often our rock icons, voices of our youth and "allow" them to get old. When they get less famous sometimes they lash out politically at the very audience that made them famous. (John (y Cougar) Mellencamp for instance. We tend to want to say shut up and sing.... and we really mean the shut up part!! LOL

Mellencamp on this last tour (summer 2005) through his hands up in the air and said I asked people, listend to crowd reactions to soungs they wanted to hear, and formed a greatest hits tour. Some we spruced up, some I hadn't done forever..( e.g. "Aint even done with the night..") He said here on the AM radio show... "And ya know, I am having more FUN doing those songs at this stage of my life, having people singing them back to me... Than I deserve.." (heard on a radio interview.. Mellencamp seems to get it too.)

Do we really need a new ABBA CD? NO!!

If rap is + - 30 years old.. Where are those 50- 60 year old "pioneers" still rapping/singing today? I doubt that genre unfortunantly will really have a voice they still like 20- 30 years from now.

As a joke...Bring back flavor flave... woops, he is too busy getting jiggy with it with another 80's model way long in the tooth on a reality show.. fuffi fuffi indeed!

Anyhow the Rolling Stones still tour..

Aerosmith still rocks..

Elvis, I am sure, is on some radio station as we speek right now...

Life goes on!

LOL-

I live very close to Atlantic City, which is the final resting ground of Rock and Roll dinosaurs and Aged Lounge Lizards and evolutionary freaks (A.K.A- One hit wonders)...

Just a few of the Jurassic Park Performers coming to a venue near me.

Abba - They were scarey when the public knew who they were, now they are just errrr....frigging frightful

Doobie Brothers - Were they so stoned that they missed the last 30.

years?....Hey gimme a doobie, I might understand.

Three Dog Night - They must be travelling with the Doobies.

Kansas - I didn't think that they emerged from the 70s.

Tom Jones? He lives? The Little old ladies pulling the arms of the slots still swoon..

Duran Duran? Huh?

Crosby, Stills and Nash .....90 bucks a ticket? Err

Whitesnake...OOOOHHHH Bad boys with Big hair....EEEEEE

Doors of the 21st Century...This is an unknown...Does anyone know if they survived the time warp?

I 2nd The Rolling Stones. I never liked anything they did after the 60s and just can't understand what people still see in them.

Bob Dylan is another. He never could sing but that didn't matter......THEN!!!! It matters now (to me anyway) and his voice is worse then ever.

Aerosmith. Huh????? They haven't written a good song since "Rocks" but still are revered wherever they go. Steve Tyler went from being president of the 45lb bench press club at 30 years of age to being president at age 60 something. I guess that would make Keith Richards vice president and Mick Jagger treasurer???

As long as people keep buying their albums and paying to see their concerts, they'll just keep on truckin.

----------------

On 7/3/2005 8:18:37 PM garymd wrote:

Aerosmith. Huh????? They haven't written a good song since "Rocks" but still are revered wherever they go.

----------------

I so agree with this one. It got to the point that I now start calling them "Aerosuck"!

Sting is another one. I liked him back during the "Police" days, and I'll admit that I do have and enjoy listening to his Dream of the Blue Turtles CD, but has he even put anything out decent since then (maybe The Soul Cages, which I also have a copy of)?

----------------

On 7/4/2005 3:00:11 AM j-malotky wrote:

Don't forget Britney Spears. I can't wait till she goes away.

JM

----------------

I don't think she'll ever be back. I think the world sees her for the trailer trash that she has always been. She'll never lose all that weight from being pregnant.

I think Joni and Dylan have had such longevity, that comparisons to their early work is hard to avoid. They both share the trait of being more or less consistently prolific. Personal taste and preference aside, I think it's arrogant to suggest artists (especially of their stature) should hang it up for the reasons given. It's what they do.

That being said, I think both Joni and Dylan continue to be creative and refuse to recycle their old material like the public so often demands.

Gary, have you heard "Time Out of Mind"? Amazing record.

Ben,

I think Dylan should NEVER stop writing or recording. Have you seen him live recently? That's what I'm talking about. I've seen him about 7 times in the past 10 years when he joins up with Phil Lesh, Paul Simon and others. It's everything I can do to sit through 3 songs. The first couple of shows were OK, seeing one of the greatest songwriters in history front and center, but after the novelty wore off, it just grated on me. I wasn't alone with these impressions either. I love the guy but it's just hard sitting through a set.

When I saw him with the Dead in the late 80s, he was so plastered, he walked/stumbled down into the crowd with a drink in his hand, bumping off people as they tried to help him get back where he belonged. It was kind of sad to watch. I too am glad he sobered up. Sober or not, I wouldn't pay to hear him sing anymore.

BTW - I love the SACD release of Blood On The Tracks and listen to it quite often. It's my favorite Dylan album. I could listen to Tangled Up In Blue a million times and wouldn't get sick of it.

----------------

On 7/5/2005 6:42:37 PM garymd wrote:

Ben,

I think Dylan should NEVER stop writing or recording. Have you seen him live recently? That's what I'm talking about. I've seen him about 7 times in the past 10 years when he joins up with Phil Lesh, Paul Simon and others. It's everything I can do to sit through 3 songs. The first couple of shows were OK, seeing one of the greatest songwriters in history front and center, but after the novelty wore off, it just grated on me. I wasn't alone with these impressions either. I love the guy but it's just hard sitting through a set.
----------------

Ahhh... OK. I can picture that. It's rare to hear his voice even recorded well, so that makes sense.