khorns or Cornwalls in a 20'x30' room?

swami49

I currently own a pair of 1972 Cornwalls, situated on the ends of a 20' long wall of a 20'x30' room. I am thinking about going to Klipschorns (1962 version), but don't know if the room or setup are conducive to the bass reproductions. The speakers are driven by an Acurus Act 3 pre and a diy 2a3 amp.

The Cornwalls sound good, and get better the further back in the room you sit.

I would appreciate opinions as to whether this would be a noticeable improvement, as the cost and waf factor are significant here.

Thanks,

Sam

Your room, it seems, is large enough. I agree the WAF, (Wife Approval Factor) when they are in the corners, K horns seem to dissapear. If the walls work out and your in the sweetspot.. K horns, hands down!

Something about that MID HORN is everything soundstage wise.

1962 K horns.... make sure someone like BEC can test and make sure everything x over wise is still up to specs.

Put the K-horns on the 30 ft wall with the Cornwalls in the center for center channel feed. Run the K-horns with one amp and the Cornwalls with another. (if you want). Use the full center frequency spectrum and a 12 inch sub-woofer in between the Corwalls with 80 hz rolloff. If you have 7.1 and the speakers that will give it a bit more ambiance. Set the driving amp to PL-II-C

Remove all pictures and things hanging on the walls as they will vibrate off anyway. What I have described is not a very polite system.

The K-horns should have the "pipe seals" glued to the edges that fit to the walls. The upper midrange horn enclosure should have a least one brace from the top to bottom glued and screwed to keep the top from vibrating. Top it off with "Dean Networks" Use any type electronic stuff you want, it will blow you away.

The Corwalls should be 6 inches from the wall and the sub should be about 8 inches from the wall perpendicular and with the controls facing the wall.

On the back of one of your Corwalls screw on a nice board that sticks out to the side and then mount your master powerstrip whereby you turn on the entire system. One power switch turns everything on. You can set your electronic stuff on top of the Corwalls no problem but not the sub. Somewhere in this mess you have to set the High-Def TV. Good luck.

JJK

----------------

On 7/4/2005 10:04:31 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

J4knee sez: "Gone will be the muddiness in the bass response of the Cornwall."

EXCUSE ME???? muddy- Cornwall- I want you to write 100 times...

I will never use those words in the same sentence again.

Michael

----------------

100 times is not enough!!!6.gif

J.4knee:

If you have a muddy Cornwall your network is shot or somebody subbed some other brand drivers or your electronics are suspect. Cornwall is so clean it squeaks. Sounds to me like you have a real bad tube amp or bad network.

JJK

----------------

On 7/4/2005 6:52:06 PM J.4knee wrote:

(OK Let me qualify: Compared to a folded horn bass such as the Klipschorn the CW bass does sound muddy to me, never said they were a bad speaker just I prefer the folded horn bass sound.) X 100
10.gif9.gif11.gif

----------------

Well said, but allow me also to qualify. Many CW owners who acquire cornerhorns ask "where is the bass"? It is a matter of adjustment. Why is that? The Khorn is more correct, but many miss that mid/LF Cornwall "boot in the chest". IMHO, the folded horn has little punch energy. However, it has a wonderful flowing, consistantly smooth and accurate LF sound. Did I say smooth or did I say snooze?.....(oops,..I have done it again ) Anyway,improve the CW mid horn, and you might change your mind.

Best Regards,

Terry

Michael, I know that you love it when I hang out there9.gif

EDIT: as per Indy....Something about that MID HORN is everything soundstage wise.

TC

2.gif

PArdon me for being a party-pooper, but '62 Khorns could prove to be a weird animal. That's when Klipsch changed woofers to CTS and changed the throat opening size.

Someone reported strange inclusions inside the throat also, evidently stock from Klipsch, but reported to have a debilitating effect on the overall bass output.

Also the crossover (if still stock) is over 40 years old, and should be upgraded. Maybe the drivers, too.

However, the Khorn cabinetry should be fine and the components upgraded to meet todays performance levels.

So I too say go for the Khorns...

DM