Audio DVD's...

kepople

I bought a couple Audio DVD's, no video. With the 5.1 dolby or DTS5.1 these things sound GREAT!

I am only seeing a handful carried at local stores. Are there any well stocked online stores?

I know this is a new format, but the first thing to come out should have been Pink Floyd. Sting and Santana sound awesome in surround.

Kirby

These are only DVD Audio: First anything done by Silverline should sound very good!!

I'm going to start with the best sounding ones I have(my opion) you may not like the style of music but of the 30 or so I have these are the best sounding.

Title

1. Silverline--Inside the MUsic New Age--

2. Silverline--Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band XXL--Big Band music

3. Silverline--Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat Band Swingin For the Fences-Big Band

4. DTS International --Music Experience Esteban Enter the HEart

5. DTS international--Blue Man Group Complex- very good bass DVD

6. DTS International-Music Experience Les Brown & His Band OF Renown-Big Band

7. Telarc surround- 1812 Overture(has DTS, Dolby Digital)

8. Fleetwood Mac Rumours

9. Lyle Lovett--Joshua Judges Ruth

10. DTS--Steely Dan Gaucho

are all very good I'll post some more later. Just about anything from Silverline is usually very good. Not sure what kind of music you like but try one of these.

Xman

Xman

It's not clear to me from your post, but if you DO NOT mean hirez "DVD-Audio" discs, and just the multichannel DD/DTS ones, I doubt you'll find very many.

I have the Steely Dan Gaucho one mentioned. As well as a Clapton (461 Ocean Blvd) and a Moody Blues (Nights in White Satin).

But if you DO mean hirez DVD-Audio discs, almost all of them contain DD/DTS tracks, as well. They ARE pretty tough to find in stores but they are out there. Some mega-stores (Tower, Virgin, etc.) have a decent selection. Circuit City stocked a few of them at one time and may still. Best Buys does too, although I just read they're going to stop stocking them.

There are multiple online sources.

Sorry to answer your question with a question, but aren't you missing something listing to an audio DVD (assume this is DVD-A) through "5.1 dolby or DTS5.1" Won't this go through the processor and be treated very much the same as a CD? I thought to get the impact of DVD-A or SACD you needed to run use the multi-channel connections with the 6 analog cables?

Excuse my ignorance 2.gif

and... the DVD-A format isn't really new. Some say it never took off and is dying. I'm still on the fence on whether I will buy a universal player, considering HD-DVD formats will likely replace both SACD and DVD-A.

----------------

On 7/5/2005 8:12:51 AM sivadselim wrote:

I don't think that the poster has a hirez player, but has enjoyed the DD/DTS tracks on some DVD-Audio discs. Still unclear, though.

----------------

There are apparently a handful of disks, essentially CDs, that have DTS encoded sound, but are not DVD-Audio or SACD. I have one by the Police, a "Hits" collection. There is no video information on it at all, not even a still image. On the cover it states that one needs a player (does not specifically indicate a DVD or CD player) that decodes DTS tracks. These may have been released before the widespread introduction of DVD-Audio and SACD players and disks. It does have 5.1 channel sound, but does not sound as good as other DVD-Audio disks I have purchased.

----------------

On 7/5/2005 6:34:05 AM Darren wrote:

Sorry to answer your question with a question, but aren't you missing something listing to an audio DVD (assume this is DVD-A) through "5.1 dolby or DTS5.1" Won't this go through the processor and be treated very much the same as a CD? I thought to get the impact of DVD-A or SACD you needed to run use the multi-channel connections with the 6 analog cables?

Excuse my ignorance
2.gif
----------------

No, not exactly. You can still listen to a DVD-A disc through the optical connection and get 5.1 surround sound. You won't however, get the High Resolution part of the disc, which is much better than standard Dolby/dts.

There are also several dts CDs that only have dts, no dolby no DVD-A.

I think a huge part of the reason these formats haven't succeeded, besides consumer indifference, is that it is too confusing. Even on an Audio Forum, we have several people that don't understand. How can you expect "regular" people to get it?

Thanks for the replies guys.

I am not familiar with the Hirez format, but would like to know. I have a Harmon Kardon AV235 and use optical connections for everything. I also use a Samsung Upconvert DVD player, so if there is a player that can handle the Hirez, it should be this one. If not which.

In either case, the AVR switches automatically to DTS audio or Dolby Digital surround per mode of the DVD.

Please enlighten me if there is more audio quality I am missing, but I think i am there.

I will check Towers sight for others.

Kirby

----------------

On 7/4/2005 3:46:00 PM kepople wrote:

Are there any well stocked online stores?

----------------

Here are a few good places to shop ---

www.dts.com -- home place for DTS surround-disks

www. aix.com -- my favorite surrund music label -- their samplers have lots of good music

www.acousticsounds.com -- a full line store

www. musicdirect.com -- another.

Happy listening!

9.gif

----------------

On 7/12/2005 1:16:36 PM kepople wrote:

I am not familiar with the Hirez format, but would like to know. I have a Harmon Kardon AV235 and use optical connections for everything. I also use a Samsung Upconvert DVD player, so if there is a player that can handle the Hirez, it should be this one. If not which.

In either case, the AVR switches automatically to DTS audio or Dolby Digital surround per mode of the DVD.

Please enlighten me if there is more audio quality I am missing, but I think i am there.

I will check Towers sight for others.

Kirby
----------------

DVD-Audio is a separate format--there's often confusion because people hear DVD-Audio and assume that it must mean audio from a DVD that happens to have Dolby Digital and dts audio information. DD and dts are good sounding audio formats, but Super Audio CD (SACD) and DVD-A are even higher resolution formats than DD and dts (DVD-A is 24-bit, 192 kHz, I'm not sure of the specs for an SACD signal). Conventional DD and dts are typically recorded at lower bit-depths and lower sampling rates. High-resolution formats like DVD-A and SACD are only transmitted via digital over a select few number of connections and protocols at the moment and you must have a compatible receiver to take advantage of them. If you're only using a toslink or coax digital connection, than you cannot take advantage of higher resolution audio formats like DVD-A or SACD. However, some DVD-A discs also include a lower-resolution DD or dts signals (and some SACD discs also include a conventional CD audio compliant track) that IS compatible with the digital transmission limits of the toslink and coax digital connections so that you get some of the advantages of a slightly higher resolution signal. Here's some information about SACD: http://www.sonymusic.com/sacd/index.html and here's some for DVD-A: http://www.digitalaudioguide.com/faq/dvd-audio/faq_intro.htm

Also, don't confuse an upconverting DVD player with one that decodes high-resolution format audio--upconverting most often refers to the video signal (i.e. going from 480i or 480p video to 720p or 1080i), but has little to do with the audio. In fact, an audio "upsampling" DVD player will typically only take a normal, lower resolution bitstream and over-sample it to a 24-bit, 96 kHz signal, but it cannot actually decode the original digital bitstream of these higher resolution formats. If you're looking for a player that actually decodes these signals, they are typically called universal players or explicitly include the DVD-Audio or SACD logos on them--a DVD-Video player cannot decode the high resolution audio information of a DVD-A disc unless the disc includes a lower resolution track and SACDs need their own decoding chip (as far I understand it). I'm sure there are plenty of people here far more learned about this stuff than me, but this should at least get you primed for an understanding about the higher-resolution audio formats that are commercially available right now.

----------------

On 7/12/2005 1:16:36 PM kepople wrote:

Kirby----------------

The player will have a logo that says DVD-Audio or SACD if it is capable of these formats. Even if your player is capable, which I don't think it is, you are not "there" because you have to use The Six-Channel Input to get it.

Sorry if I'm repeating what the previous poster said, but that was too much reading for me.

This DVD player has both logos and as I said, I am using the fiberoptic connections for audio to my HK AVR.

You last statement about 6th channel is confusing. If what you state is correct that would be a 6.1 disc which is not listed on the discs I have purchased.

I looked at a few SACD today, first time I have seen them, but I did not get any yet. The prices are better than the DVD-A discs as well.

I have read the DVDA page before but not the SACD, so I know what I am looking at is the DVDA format, and it is playing correctly on my system.

No one ever aswered what the Hirez format that was mentioned previous was.

kirby

To correctly play the high resolution (HiRez) track of a DVD-A disc you have to have 6 cables running from your dvd players 5.1 outs to your receivers 5.1 ext.ins.

Playing a DVD-A disc through an optical cable will only play in DD 5.1 or DTS. While the DD 5.1 or DTS track will sound pretty good they're not as good as the HiRez track.

----------------

On 7/13/2005 2:02:33 PM kepople wrote:

You last statement about 6th channel is confusing. If what you state is correct that would be a 6.1 disc which is not listed on the discs I have purchased.

kirby

----------------

Some in-depth explanations might be required. Suggest you go to http://www.revolutionhometheater.com/howto/dvdaudio/main.shtml for more in-depth information. Other places for info:

www.ecoustics.com

www.soundandvision.com

www.hometheatermag.com

After these, if you are still confused, let us know.

It might be possible that you have an "audio only" DVD. Is there an indication that the disc contains "Advance Resolution" sound? If so, then it is a DVD-A.

If not, then you may just have a "DAD" or Digital Audio Disc. A couple of years after the release of DVD, you could buy a few discs that were audio only DVDs. The audio on some of these discs have 24 bit/96kHz stereo only tracks. I'm thinking you could still probably use the digital (optical Toslink or coax) connections since the tracks are stereo and not 5.1. Either way whether you have to go analog or digital for the connection, they should be able to play on a conventional DVD player.

These discs are different than DVD-Audio. DVD-A (as what has already been said) uses a hi-resolution stereo and 5.1 audio tracks that requires a capable player with a 5.1 output and a receiver or pre/pro with a 5.1 external input. You would need three pairs of RCA cables to hear the Hi resolution 5.1 audio on DVD-As (as well as multichannel SACD discs). Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS (most of the time) tracks are also on DVD-As so they can be played back on conventional DVD players.

The difference between these two discs (DAD and DVD-A) mainly is the hi-rez audio on DVD-As is referred to as "Advanced Resolution" sound. Every DVD-A should have that on the back on the jewel case. It is compressed using Meridian Lossless Packing just like Dolby Digital and DTS are used on regular DVDs, but you get 100% of the signal back when it is uncompressed for playback. It is not lossy (hence the name) like DTS and Dolby Digital.

The single 24/96 track on a DAD is uncompressed (like CD's 16/44.1 track) since there is no need to conserve space for other tracks, video material, etc. Hope this helps.

Ok. I have a question regarding these Hi Rez formats and how to get them to output.

Lets have a look at the Yes Fragile DVD-A.

It has:

Advanced Resolution Surround Sound (96khz/24 bit)

Advanced Resolution Stereo

Dolby Digital & DTS 5.1 Surround Sound

I have a Denon 3805 receiver and a Denon 2910 DVD player.

When I play this disc I see on its menu DTS Surround, Dolby Surround and Stereo ( plus extras).

So my question is this; How do I get the Hi Rez out of this disc with these components?

Dolby is output through digital as is the DTS. So these are not the 96khz/24bit info, or are they?

If I use pure direct and select no digital output is the player using the 5.1 analog outs? What mode do I select on the 3805 to output the Hi rez surround?

When I check the "On Screen" it shows the output as PCM 48khz. I have yet to see anything higher than this.

I am somewhat lost regarding all the different output options so any help would be great.

Thanks

GG

I use a Denon 3803 as a pre-pro, and a Denon 3910 DVD player so maybe the setup is similar.

In the 3910s setup menu under Audio set the Audio Channel to Multi Channel then configure your speakers. Then in the Etc. part of the setup menu you have to set the Player Mode to Audio to play the DVD-A track.

On the 3803 to play the DVD-A track you have to push the Ext.IN button. I'm not sure if the 3805 is the same or not, but with my setup when I put in Yes Fragile or any other DVD-A it automatically plays the Hi-Rez surround track.