Klipschhorn Corner Speakers

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you are gonna slide another bid in as the auction goes into the final minute, or you are gonna get the rug pulled out from under your feet. With them being recent models and with that stunning grain they are sure to hit $2.5K with ease. Factor in what you won't have to spend to have them wrapped, packed, and freighted to you.

The bonus is if you lose, there is still the '76's that have been updated in your area so you get another chance. That does not happen often.

Right -- the Shorthorn in the 2-channel thread was just won by a brand-new bidder for only $10 more than the guy who put in a series of open bids. Looks like a snipe to me. Put in a snipe for the amount you're willing to get these for.

Larry

Sniper beat me out. He had not even bid until last minute. $3,100.00 was really stretching it for me. Glad I didn/t win. The guy in Lexington said that his had little if any nicks on them. What do you really think bout them? I may just end up listening to my yamaha ns 1000 speakers longer. Such a hassle on ebay with the snipers. Oh well, I tried. David.

Sonically they are going to sound just as good, they look nice and just have minor flaws that will be rendered invisible with a good wipe down and reoiling. I would bet the '76's will be in the $2.5K range I hope you can get them, once wiped down and put into place the enjoyment can begin.

Just went and saw the 74's (that were new in 76). How easy is it to get deep scratches out of that veneer? I am thinking there is no way you can sand them down enough unless that veneer is a 1/4" thick. The pieces at the bottom could be removed and redone to eliminate the gouges in them. Needless to say, given their proximity to me I will be bidding on them but it will be far, far lower than $2500. The bid currently is near my limit on these based on the cabinet work that will be needed (IMO). I am beginning to think driving a couple hours if I could get a mint pair would be more to my liking even at a much higher price.

The Monster cable on them kind of threw me as well? You Klipschorn guys, does this harm or improve their natural voicing.

Just saw some nice looking LaScala Speakers on Ebay. Item #5788354711. How would they compare to the Cornerhorns? Would they be any better than the Yamaha NS 1000's I have now? I also use M & K subwoofer with them. I have jukebox, old victrola, Old radio, record cabinets, and equipment cabinets, tv in my listening room. I have a long 26'ft. wall, but would have to rearrange everything including surround sound speakers and wiring. I have speakers now on 15 ft. wide short wall with surround speakers in back. I have Dynaco ST 70 tube amp. with MCIntosh preamp, Denon Universal CD player, VPI Turntable with Monolith Phono amp. with Grado Platinum Cartidge. Should I leave well enough alone or go for the Klipsch Speakers. Have also been looking at B & W Speakers. One person said he saw big deep scratch on the Horns in Lexington, but I could not see one and Seller said was no nicks or scratches. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks. David.

Dave,

Take a look at the picture posted in the ad. Those 'white' areas or lines aren't flash effects (it is hard to see from the pic). For me, they likely are reveneered and those kick pieces down at the bottom certainly require fixing as they are gouged pretty good around the edges. It all depends on what is an acceptable amount of wear or damage to you. Good luck.

I would really like to have some in really nice oak cabinet, but they go pretty high. Ones I were bidding on yesterday went for $3,150.00. I had bid $3,100.00 and was really stretching my budget. I contacted the seller and they said was not any big nicks or blemishes on the ones in Lexington, ky., but they might be telling the truth either. I/ll wait a few days and see how high they get before I bid. I live in Southern Ky. and would be great to get a pair that close to me.

The ones in Lexington are up to $1,200.00 and reserve has been met, but still has 7 more days to go. You ever listened to Quad speakers? I am avid reader of Stereophile magazine and recent issue the editors picked the most important products in last 40 yrs. The Quad ESL-63 loudspeaker was number 2 and the Linn Sondek LP 12 turntable was number one. The only other speakers to make the top ten was B & W speakers at no. 7 and 8 and Vandersteen 2 speaker at no. 3. I have been reading about the B & W and Quad speakers and both have rave reviews. Wonder why none of Klipsch speakers made the top 100. The Dynaco ST 70 amp. that I have was no. 15 and my Yamaha NS 1000 speakers were no. 91. I know these are all opinions, but was interesting. David.

----------------

On 7/14/2005 10:30:47 AM musiclover wrote:

I am avid reader of Stereophile magazine and recent issue the editors picked the most important products in last 40 yrs. ..........

Wonder why none of Klipsch speakers made the top 100. The Dynaco ST 70 amp. that I have was no. 15 and my Yamaha NS 1000 speakers were no. 91.

I know these are all opinions, but was interesting. David.

----------------

What do your ears tell you?

Woo

I've owned Quad ESL-63 speakers. They were great in certain respects. Great imaging. Reproduced the most delicate and subtle sounds in a recording. On the minus side: pretty thin bass and the electronics were "fussy". Switches on the speakers kept going bad and grounding was always a problem. You MUST have a good grounding system or you get nothing from you speaker. I finally got tired of fooling with them and sold them.

Mick

I have purchased the Khorns that Forum member in here is selling, Name Tubes And Horns and will be picking them up 7/31/05. I have a Honda Odyssey van. Will they fit ok in it. Thanks to everyone in here for encouraging me to get a pair. I can/t wait to listen to them. David.