Recommendation on a good used turntable?

akirk

A couple of years ago the cartridge on my Bang and Olufsen turntable was damaged and became unusable. I ended up selling the turntable because it uses a special B & O cartridge and I didn't want to pay the high replacement cost. I was planning on selling my record collection but now am having second thoughts. Although CD's are so nice and handy there's still something about vinyl albums - maybe it's nostalgia hitting me, I don't know. Anyway, I'm thinking about trying to find a good used turntable on eBay or elsewhere for not a great lot of $$$'s. I was wondering if anybody had any good recommendations on a good brand/model, etc? Also, any recommendations on good cartridges would be appreciated. Thanks for your help!

I think it depends on what you think not a great lot of $$$$ actually is. Some great deals on Thorens as mentioned . mabye a Thorens160. Also some great DD like pioneer pl-61 or pl-50. It really depends on your budget.

OK, here is a bit of clarification on what I am looking for in a turntable: budget - less than $200, new or used - definitely used (more bang for the buck), manual or automatic - probably manual or semi-automatic, direct or belt drive - unsure. I was kind of under the impression that belt drive turntables were better, since the belt acts to dampen out any vibrations that the motor might impart to the platter. Is that correct or not?

I wanted to replace my B&O RX turntable and went through several 1970's vintage TTs recently. The best I found by far was the Dual 701. It was the top of the line for Dual in the early seventies and came mated to a very good cartridge - the Shure v15 III. The Dual 701 cost over $400 new in the seventies. I picked up a nice one off of ebay for about $150 with the cartridge. I picked up another fuctional one in reasonably good condition for $80 just for the cartridge and spare parts. I've seen these used Shure v15 cartridges go for over $75 alone on ebay. The German build quality, operation, and especially the performance are much more robust than the B&O or others that I tried. I have no plans on ever replacing it. It is a very quiet direct drive semi auto operation TT. The platter is massive - about 8 to 10 pounds. Here is a link to comments on Audioreview.com.

Dual 701

I'm sure that you'll get some other good suggestions. Good luck.

I'm looking for a TT too so though I'd try to keep this thread alive. I'd like to replace a TT in a console and end up with a good secondary system so appearance and dustcovers don't mean much and I'd be looking to keep it under $150. Obviously, for that budget it needs to be vintage which is fine since it's going in a vintage console. Any other specific recommendations besides Thorens160?

Many members swear by vinyl over CD's. The albums are not costing you anything to keep..

I'm in the CD group but that's because the vinyl that wasn't stolen is scratched up terribly...

I rergret giving away my good vinyl to this day. Hope you don't make the same mistake..

WOOF!

I had thought about getting rid of my vinyl more than once as I hadn't been listening to it for quite a while but hearing everyone talk about their records got me to listening to mine again and I'm enjoying them. I even purchased a few recently at a garage sale. I have a decent table and cartridge for my main unit but was hoping to pick up someting relatively cheap for a secondary system. It seems like cheap and TTs just don't go together too well. I guess we low budget types will have to get lucky.

Another 'ditto' for Thorens. I run a TD-145 with an AudioTechnica 440ML. Does very nicely for not much cash at all.

The arm is somethin' else, tho.. got hit with the ugly stick, and likes medium-to-low compliance carts.. lower the better. ;)

(Any recco's for carts for this old beastie? MM please.. can't swing MCs with my preamp.. eff. mass is 16.5 g.)