why, why, why!!!!!?

samuel r

you know, when i purchased my klipsch rf3 speaks, i HAD to get them in black ash because there were no other wood colors for them. four months later, what comes out? rf-5's and now rf3II's? both can be had with a nice cherry finish. that's what i wanted in the first place. i turned down the same price, lesser desired, yet cherry optional wood finish that paradigm monitor 9 had to offer. but now this. i never really dug black for speaks, but i know klipsch are vastly superior so i took the black. i contacted the place of my purchase(tweeter etc.) to find out if i could switch the blacks for the cherries when they come out. but guess what? i have to upgrade 50% total cost of my rf3's. so now i have to spend another 700 bucks to get the rf5's. that sucks. why couldn't klipsch make the rf-3's in cherry in the first place? why come out with some NEW model that's actually the same thing with different "name brand" wiring? and then not be able to exchange them unless i get the more expensive rf-5's. this sucks big time and i am going to vent! i just hope klipsch takes into account on future models that if they plan on making a new speak, please make it in different varieties of colors so people won't be cheated into having to buy the color they originally wanted, but settle with what they have to buy. i know these rf-3's been out a couple of years now, but i still feel klipsch knew back then that they would eventually come out with the same product, but in different colors. anyway, i still like my speaks, but why didn't i wait 'til now to get the color i wanted, instead of the color i had to get. perhaps next time i will wait.

Hi Samuel - I know what you mean, but I think we run across this same thing all the time. Why oh why did Ubid remove the reserve price on their Acurus auctions the week after I bought mine with a reserve, causing me to spend $40 more than I might have with a more recent auction? Why do all the PC manufacturers update their models the month after I buy one and the return period has lapsed? Why do new car makers come out with that fancy dashboard redesign just after we buy our prized new vehicle?

Me thinks it's called marketing and technological advancement. It helps drive incremental sales. Not sure it can all be predicted by manufacturers, or even should be disclosed. Elsewise, present sales could be undermined, leading to dropping revenues, which could prevent the future stuff from ever coming out.

Just a thought Smile.gif

DD2

Samuel, you have my sympathies. I for one have never understood the "black thing" with audio gear. And most women just cringe when you suggest putting something the size of a Klipsch tower or lord forbid Heritage speaker in black in their house. (Yeah, yeah some women are okay with it...) But in general large black chunks of cabinetry are decorating nightmares. (No flame intended and if black cabinets make you happy please enjoy them.)

And as long as we're on the subject, can we please please please bring back the medium oak finish and use it on the Reference line if only as a special order item? Otherwise the RSW subwoofers won't match my lovely set of six medium oak KLF-20s and matching KLF-C7. Good luck!cwm30.gif

This message has been edited by Ephemeris on 09-13-2001 at 07:26 PM

yeah, i kinda understand. the thing that just burns me up is that before i purchased my rf-3's, i asked my sales rep if they come in other finishes because black wood simply does not exist. why would they not originally make them with different colors? it just makes me mad because now i have to spend more money. maybe i'll put them in e-bay and wait for the "RF3II's". how corny is that? it's like saying pro logic II. a useless "new" format to make more money and make people mad. what is the use for it? i don't even own a vcr anymore and i'm not even kidding. just ploys to make money. i'm sure the klipsch guys sat around their round table and said, "lets see how we can make some money and piss people off who originally opted for wood finish but could only get black". it's like the ford model "t". henry ford stated "the people can have any color they want, as long as it's black". i'm really pissed. i'm gonna go whine to my girlfriend now. damn!

I believe the black thing is a Japanese development. I just love the way my gold faced Sonic Frontiers preamp and Cary amps look in my setup. My visitors have no comment about the black pieces but go bonkers over the gold and silver stuff. However, it costs more to be different.

drobo

The problem with mass transit is the masses.

i'm not concerned with black components, just speakers. especially the ones that look like wood. but i guess it matches everything. would just look soooo much nicer with real wood finish. would also match the wood trim and hardwood floors in my apartment. for now they just match my components. by the way, what does "lol" and "nt" mean? hope i don't get laughed at.

LOL

I got lucky for once!!

My dealer had only one pair of KLF 30's available in mahogany and said he could supply them in oak but otherwise I was "stuck with the reds." My house is a 100 year old bungalow with Red Fir Floors and my coffee table and end table are finished in red mahogany and the trim on my sofa and chair are reddish brown.

I whinged for about 0.3 seconds and said I would live with the "Reds" Smile.gif

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca. 1304 BCE)

This message has been edited by lynnm on 09-14-2001 at 12:17 AM

NOW YOU GUYS ARE PISSING ME OFF!

All of my speakers are BLACK! Except for the MAHOGANY ones.I like BLACK! I like my BLACK speakers! My truck is BLACK and I like it. Heck, even my wife is BLACK!

YOU GUYS ARE REALLY PISSING ME OFF!

Keith!

------------------

KSP-300 FL/R

KSP-C6 CENTER

SW8II C/SUB

KSP-S6 SURR

KSP300 SB

SW12II

SONY KP53XBR35 RP

DENON 3801

DENON DVD3300 DVD-AUDIO

SONY MDP455 LDP

ACURUS 125X5

ACURUS 100X3

MONDIAL M.A.G.I.C. BOX

PANAMAX MAX 1000

PANAMAX COAXMAX (2)

AQ SLATE

AQ COPPERHEAD

AQ SIDEWINDER

AQ VSD

TRIBUTARIES S-VIDEO

MONSTER INT.400MKIII

TalktoKeith, I am with you 100%, all my speakers are black, my TV is black, my stereo rack is black, my computer is black and my '87 Buick Grand National is black (of course). Just like you I like black, when it come to material things, other wise I am COLOR BLIND!!

------------------

Cruzer

RF-3 II's are not available in any finish other than black vinyl - just like RF-3's. Only the 5 & 7 come in wood finishes and only they have the option of Maple or Cherry.

Jim

I thought that Tweeter and Sound Advice are the same company now...the following is from the Sound Advice website:

One-Year Speaker Trade-Up

Upgrade a pair of speakers within one year and get full value for them. In time, everyone needs different speakers. Maybe it's because you've moved your system into a room with soft, cushy furniture that absorbs more sound. Or maybe you want speakers designed specifically for Home Theater. Or ones that take up less space.

Well, don't worry. We won't leave you hanging. If you want better speakers for your home or car, we make it painless. Bring in any pair of speakers within one year of buying them at Sound Advice, Showcase Home Entertainment, Electronic Interiors, or Bang & Olufsen, and you'll get full value of the purchase price. As long as you buy an upgraded pair of speakers that aren't on sale, you won't lose a penny.

Trade them in as often as you like. The policy applies to any pair of standard bookshelf or floorstanding speakers. However, because of installation, wear-and-tear and possible corrosion, amplified speakers, speakers used outdoors or in-wall speakers aren't eligible for trade-up.

There isn't anything here which says that the upgrade has to be 50% more than what you paid. Perhaps their policies are different, but this one sounds more flexible.

well jim g, apparently you haven't looked into the finish choices you have for those rf-3II's. they come in maple and cherry as well as black. also, this wasn't intended to piss people off, just pissed me off. i never said your black objects were inferior, just said they look better with a natural color that adds to "home decor". especially if you have wood floors and trim. overall, i'm very satisfied with the sound of these wonders. still haven't heard nothing come close, including more expensive pairs. you got to understand people. i stated i originally wanted wood veneer finish for these speaks, but had to settle with black ash. not a problem. i got'em now. i guess i just had to vent a little.

As to the "black" thing, back in the deep, dark 70's, virtually all the affordable audio gear was silver, with the exception of Nakamichi. In those days, SAE and some of the other more esoteric brands were the only things that came in black. I always assumed it was because the smaller-scale American companies couldn't produce that lovely, brushed aluminum finish finish, so they just used steel and slapped black paint on it. But then in the late 70's - early 80's, black began to take hold in the mass market. I remember JVC, Sansui, Technics and Yamaha offering the choice of black or silver, and then in a short while, black was it.

Personally, I think it is just nice to have a standard finish or two (black and/or silver), so people can mix and match brands and keep things looking nice together in a cabinet.

Change. Change can be good, but yes, it can be very frustrating to consumers like myself, who must assemble systems over a period of time. And sometimes it can just be aggravating. Like when I bought my first Klipsch speakers; Cornwalls, in 1985. To my knowledge, they hadn't changed in years, but the very next year after I bought mine, along came the Cornwall II, with flush mounted mid and tweeter horns. DANG! I guess that's just the "price" we pay for the privelege of living in a country with a free market system.

------------------

JDMcCall

all gear should be black so that it all loks sharp and matches and all speaker cones should be copper so that they match too, none of this fancy white stuff, like luttle jewel cube speakers, oh, and it should all be big square boxes too ...Wink.gif

------------------

horns, tubes, subs, leather couch & female vocalists

Well, I have to chime in. I also love black components, racks, TV's, and center channel speakers. However, I prefer to have wood finishes that are not black for the main speakers. Both my Kg-3's and 4's are in oiled oak and I just adore them.

I'm currently considering updating to all reference speakers but I'm a bit annoyed that I'd have to step up to the RF-5's in order to get a wood finish. I guess that I'll have to see whether or not a wood finish is worth an additional $700 to me.

------------------

Primary System:

Main KG-4

Center KV-3

Rear RS-3

Yamaha HTR-5250

Sony DVP-S560D

Panasonic PV-9664

Sony DBS system

Studio:

Main KG-3

Sony STR-AV920

Pioneer PD-4351

Cruzer- we won't tell anyone that your '87 Buick Grand National ONLY came in Black......But I heard rumblings here in Detroit that they are planning on adding new Black Cherry and Black Walnut for retro-fit paint options....Mahogany is an extra $500Wink.gif.

Sweet car BTW....We have more here in one day than you will ever seen in your liftime at the Woodward Dream Cruise.

------------------

My system(s):

KLF-30's Bi-wired

KLF-C7 (2)

KSP-S6's (2 Pair)

KSW-15 Front Sub

KSW-100 Rear Sub

Chorus II's

Monster cable 14 gauge in-wall cable

Audioquest interconnects

Niles SPS-4 speaker switch box

Niles wall plates