2 things too ashamed to tell the wife

gibby214

Both have to do with Audio.

First is my 2 week headache I got when I listened to my RC35's and RB25's tweeter at point blank range. I highly discourage it. My reason for this is because I heard that a few RC35's had some tinny sound to the horn, mine was just fine. But the vocals of Alanis Morisette will never sound the same again. screech==++++=.

Second is some speaker damage i caused to one of my RB75's. Oh no they handle all the power I can dish out. One of them just had a little trouble with a flying telephone being thrown at it. Normally this happens with the drunk uninvited friend of a friend that makes it over to the house for a after bar party. Not the case. IT WAS ME! 8.gif This was my worst moment ever. Doing damage to something that has given me so much pleasure. She was innocent I was guilty. (I am referring to my front right speaker here guy's) I will seek counseling no more Black Velvet.

Here is my Technical Question

Does a small dimple in a woofer cone make an audible difference?

The phone broke a few plastic grids out of the grille then hit the plastic ring surrounding the woofer and something impacted the copper cone right about where the rubber attaches to it. The rubber did not tear. Just a slight dent no deeper than the thickness of a penny and about 1/3 of the size of a penny.

I am going to go cry now. I needed to get this off my chest since I can't talk to the wife about it. Gib

From your description of the damaged woofer,

I would guess that there is no harm done. I have seen many, many tweeters where somebody just had to touch to the point that the dust cap was caved in. They worked just fine too. Woofers are more hardy.

I usually stay away from Gin do to potential behavioral problems, so I can understand. If its just a dimple as you described you should be fine. It should be purely cosmetic. I have read various recommended remedies on this site, varying from using tape to adhere to the dust cover and pulling it back out to using vacuum cleaner suction. Looking at the RB75 however the dust cover looks like its already pretty flush so I am not sure in your case. My guess is that the dust cover is dented, as the material stretched? If dented then I guess try tape or just live with it.

Take it from me, you don't have to be drunk to throw a phone.

However, there is no excuse for not knowing your target. I sentence you to fourty hours of Mariah Carrey at 100 Db!

The small dent is not a sonic problem, just a not so subtle reminder to control your pitches. 2.gif

Rick

With you fingers spread out like a spider, gently move the cone about 1/8", in and out. Listen for a rasping or scraping sound. If absent, your problem is only cosmetic.

"Things happen". I saw something like that on a bumper sticker!

DR BILL

Thank you all for the comforting words and humor.

The most amazing part of the whole incident is that the phone don't have a scratch. It works fine after I found the battery which i found 20feet opposite side of the room in the track of my sliding glass door.

Thanks DRBILL Just tried pushing the woofer in and out. = No scraping.!

The dent is Not on the dust cap but where the black rubber around the 8" woofer where it meets the copper. Actually most of the indention is hidden beneath that 3/8 of an inch where the rubber attaches to the top of the copper. It's enough to make a very slight ripple in the rubber.

Anyone know approx. how many plastic parts there are inside an Omega Zip-drive thing? Not counting the disk itself, which was hard-stuck inside it, which suddenly made me want to "see what was inside", there are a BUNCH of gears, etc.

The drive simply couldn't withstand an approx. 80 MPH collision with a hard floor. *ALL* of the internal parts were suddenly external.

But *I* felt better---much better!

----------------

On 7/12/2005 12:52:15 PM scriven wrote:

You should consider switching to Khorns. There is plenty of plywood to protect the woofer!
2.gif

----------------

I prefer Bose over Khorns. I khow I may get trashed for this, but they are much superior.

Get a surround sound accustomass system. You can have 5 extreme anger incidents and still have a woofer box to smash! It will be much more fulfillingthrowinmg the actual speaker cube than throwing a phone at teh speaker...

I know the Bose system is way overpriced, but I bet much less than a shrink.

Chris

Ok, you do get 5 anger incidents and one very good woofer trashing out of the Blose system but I bet each plywood reinforced Khorn would take more than 10 times that abuse, or 100 anger incidents, and still produce better music! 2.gif