opinions on Samsung 42"&46" DLP TVs please

BobbyT

The new ones are 1080P, where the current models are 720P.

IMO the current ones have the best picture of any of the current DLPs. I would expect the new ones will be top notch, but they'll come at a premium. TVAuthority has preorders for the new ones, the 56" 78W model is $3,700.

I've had a 5685W for about a year and had no problems with it. Excellent picture quality & plenty of inputs. If the prices come down, and the new ones are out of your budget, I would definately look into one.

----------------

On 7/12/2005 4:19:51 PM JJKIZAK wrote:

They are ok. My buddy has one and although it isn't as sharp as my Sony 34" tube model it should be fine. The newer models are coming out with 1080P resolution and HDMI input jacks for upconverting DVD's.

JJK

----------------

It's ok, not as good as my 34" though. HaHa. Keep telling yourself that, buddy.

Recently was admiring a 42" Samsung... best picture quality in the store, IMHO.

Related: Best darn Service Dept. I've seen in years.

Couple years back..I picked up a old ("it works") 27" Samsung tube off a lawn sale for a couple bucks.

The picture wasn't sharp as it should be & I couldn't get the colors rite.

Couldn't find the manual on their Web Site, so called the toll-free.

A single touch-tone selection.. ring-ring.. talkin' to a very pleasant young lady, who told me how to reset the factory defaults, then mailed me a PDF Owner's manual & gave me her personal extension# in case the reset didn't work.

It did. 2.gif

Which of their competitors gives that kinda' service? 9.gif

Wonder if Amy useta' work for Samsung..... 9.gif

My observations are confirmed by Consumers Reports. You should read that issue. Tube models are sharper, brighter, have better black colors, and better contrast and provide the best quality picture when compared to LCD, DLP, Rear projection, Plasma, and Projection. Only drawback is picture size. My eyes say they are right.

JJK

I have the HLP4663, 46" (BB for <2k) beautiful picture, occasionally the color wheel or processor locks up, reset is to turn off for a minute or two, finicky with using anything other than OEM remote for controls. Was at BB the other day, saw new replacement model and no less than 4 "open box returns", couldn't find anyone to tell me why so many had been returned, looks like older model on sale may be the way to go until Samsung works the "bugs" out of the new models.

Good luck with your decision.

I have a major problem in my living room with light. It's so bright that when I bought a 42" projection DLP TV I had a very difficult time seeing the picture on the screen. The only way to view the TV was to put a black curtain up over the bay window. Well the wife would have nothing to do with that she calle it the "bat cave" so I brought it back and got a 36" tube tv. Now at least I can view the tv with out having the living room look like the "bat cave".

----------------

On 7/13/2005 11:26:30 AM Smokem wrote:

I have a major problem in my living room with light. It's so bright that when I bought a 42" projection DLP TV I had a very difficult time seeing the picture on the screen. The only way to view the TV was to put a black curtain up over the bay window. Well the wife would have nothing to do with that she calle it the "bat cave" so I brought it back and got a 36" tube tv. Now at least I can view the tv with out having the living room look like the "bat cave".

----------------

This could be the deal breaker. I have a huge front window in my room. Lets in a lot of light. And my wife is not gonna go for a rug over the window either.

The Samsung HD DLP TV will be great.

It has a non reflective screen as well, so if windows side or behind you.. you will not be looking into a reflective glass. A HUGE PLUS!

I use the DVI outputs of my DVD player straight to my Samsung 61" HDTV. It does depend on the movie, but MOST of the time it upconverts it and it looks like Hi Definition. Optical outs for the Sound too.. In DTS ES/ Dolby Digital EX...etc., etc.

We have High def dvd players coming...(CEDIA 2005 or CES 2006) When prices do drop, it will help. (Don't worry your old DVD's will work in them this time.) There is some, but not a ton, of great HD content too on TV.. Supposedly..... by the last day of 2006 everything starting on Jan 1st 2007 will be broadcast in a Digital signal.. (I will not hold my breath, but wish it to happen..)

Get a good DVD player too.... And Enjoy!

----------------

On 7/13/2005 3:45:17 PM BobbyT wrote:

This could be the deal breaker. I have a huge front window in my room. Lets in a lot of light. And my wife is not gonna go for a rug over the window either.

----------------

I have the HLN 46 DLP in my bedroom, inside a cabinet. It has a great picture, but when the bathroom light is on (TV in corner-light slightly off axes in diagonal corner) there is a slight glare.

If your window is behind the TV or on the same wall, I wouldn't think there would be a problem. Another option to consider is the Mitsubishi Diamond DLP's. I believe they have an antiglare screen and a great picture. {edit: also if your window is on the side wall there should be no problem, IMO}

.. Supposedly..... by the last day of 2006 everything starting on Jan 1st 2007 will be broadcast in High Def.. (I will not hold my breath, but wish it to happen..)

Indy, as far as I understand the FCC regs, the conversion is to be to digital broadcasting, not hi-def. The date keeps being pushed back by stations applying for waivers. Maybe, one day everything will be in hi-def. When that happens, I'll probably never leave the house. Let me know if you know something else. 10.gif

----------------

On 7/13/2005 6:56:08 PM Whathesae wrote:

.. Supposedly..... by the last day of 2006 everything starting on Jan 1st 2007 will be broadcast in High Def.. (I will not hold my breath, but wish it to happen..)

Indy, as far as I understand the FCC regs, the conversion is to be to digital broadcasting, not hi-def. The date keeps being pushed back by stations applying for waivers. Maybe, one day everything will be in hi-def. When that happens, I'll probably never leave the house. Let me know if you know something else.
10.gif
----------------

...And as far as I understand, this only applies to OTA broadcasters, it doesn't affect Cable. There will be lots of non-HD stuff after the "magic" date of 2007.

As far as content available now, there is a LOT. If you are the type that sits and watches the History channel, you might be out of luck, but if you watch the Popular, High rated programs, you can do ~80-90% High Def easy.

As far as content available now, there is a LOT. If you are the type that sits and watches the History channel, you might be out of luck, but if you watch the Popular, High rated programs, you can do ~80-90% High Def easy.

I'm definitely a hi-def junky. Currently have Dish and subscribe to all the hi-def programming available. Also receive OTA CBS and FOX. Local NBC affiliate has a digital broadcast but doesn't do hi-def7.gif ABC station is too far away.