Klipsch KLF-20's

ddcobb

I have owned a pair of Klipsch KLf-20's for several years now and have been happy with their performance to date. I want to add a center channel and two (possibly 4 for 7.1) rears to go with my KLF-20's.

However, I am not sure which speakers I should purchase, given that the KLF-C7 (center channel), along with the rest of this series, is no longer produced.

My first thoughts were as follows:

Center --> RC-25,RC-35 or RC-7

Rears/Surround--> RS-25,RS-35 or RS-7

I have heard mixed reviews regarding the Reference series. Most of the people I have spoken with do not seem to like them near as much as the discontinued Legend series (KLF). Did the quality truly drop off?

Any advice on which rears/surrounds & center matches well with the KLF-20's is appreciated. Im open to all suggestions including non-Klipsch products assuming they mesh well with what I have.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum 1.gif

Don't go non-Klipsch. I would be on the lookout for a used KLF-C7 on E-bay or Audiogon.

I personally think an RC-7 (I wouldn't go lower) would suffice and sound great. If you go this route keep the box and packing material in pristine condition so you can take it back in case I am wrong.

If the RC-7 works out (and you can't find 2 more KLF 20's for side surrounds 9.gif ) The RS-7's would be OK, but I prefer a direct radiating speaker over the WDST design (My Denon allows 2 sets of Side surrounds and what I would consider the ideal situation;-). If you don't like the match with the RC-7/KLF 20 combo, the RS-7's should still work as side surrounds.

ddcobb,

Be patient, they are out there. A couple of week ago, a pair of black KLF20's with C7 were listed on ebay by a person in Kansas City. They did not sell at $675 because the minimum was not met. I wish I had kept the link. Sorry. Another pair of '20's would be awesome for your rears.

I recently purchased a nice C7 from Mark in Eugene for $275. The C7's are listed from time to time on ebay and seem to sell around the $275 mark.

Be patient, keep looking. The hunt is half the fun.

----------------

On 7/13/2005 6:35:29 PM bhendrix wrote:

... A couple of week ago, a pair of black KLF20's with C7 were listed on ebay ...

----------------

If you were to capture this deal along with your 20's (or better yet-- KLF-30's) IMO, you would be as happy as anyone on this forum!!! 10.gif Good luck!

I have a pair of SB 3s that I used as rears with my KLF 20s. How big is your room? IF it is big the SB 3s might not work but if not then they might work. I'm using my KLF 20s as rears now with 3 La Scalas up front so I don't have a use for the SB 3s if you want them send me a email.

Xman

----------------

On 7/13/2005 6:28:24 PM ddcobb wrote:

.......If I can't find a suitable match to my KLF-20's I will most likely scrap them and start anew.

----------------

I think that's a great idea. You need to step up to Reference or Heritage, they are far superior to Legend.

So,

Where do you live? I'll be a pal and take the 20s off yer hands.

Seriously though, I started out with a pair of KLF 30s a few years back. Over time, I picked up a KV 4 center and for a long time had hodge podge rears w/ a DPL pre-amp and amp by Carver. I upgraded the pre-pro to B & K Ref 200.7/Ref 50 and started looking to match up the speakers. First, I replaced the KV 4 w/ a KLF C7. Huge Difference. Then I bought 2 RS 7s for sides and 2 RB 35s for back surrounds. This was quite an improvement but I did not like the RS 7s for multi channel music. So, I scored a pair of KLF 20s for my sides and WHOA NELLY. Freakin awesome. I still have the RB 35s in the back but thats ok for now. I WILL find another pair of 20s (or 30s) before its all over. Don't get me wrong, the RS 7s were fantastic for movies and not bad for music but not even close to the 20s. But as for the center, you must find a KLF C7(better yet mod another 20) IMO. If you get the front matched up, you will be well on your way.

----------------

On 7/13/2005 10:02:51 PM wstrickland1 wrote:

Seriously though, ...

----------------

If you want to sell those KLF-20's and live near the DFW area, I will consider taking them off your hands so you can seek out a Reference or Heritage setup. 10.gif I too, am looking for Klf-30's but would consider another pair of KLF-20's.

----------------

On 7/13/2005 6:28:24 PM ddcobb wrote:

Any suggestions on what to use for the Rears/Surround? If I can't find a suitable match to my KLF-20's I will most likely scrap them and start anew.
----------------

I think the ksp6 are the surrounds for the legends they are hard to find though if you have room get klf 30s 20s or 10s I have klf 30s 20s & 2 c7s 9.gif Rich

I would stick to other Legend speakers as others have said. Pick up KLF-30's for mains and move the 20s for surround, or pick up KLF-10's for surround. The C-7's can be found on bay.

----------------

On 7/13/2005 6:35:29 PM bhendrix wrote:

ddcobb,

Be patient, they are out there. A couple of week ago, a pair of black KLF20's with C7 were listed on ebay by a person in Kansas City. They did not sell at $675 because the minimum was not met. I wish I had kept the link.

----------------

Here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5785457175&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5785457175&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I had them in my watch list.

• Like 1

There was one that ended on Wednsday I believe that went for 249.99 with 45 flat shipping.

A month and half back there were as many as three on there.

And yes these were KLF-C7's not RC7s. I would personally not mix Legends with Reference series, especially across the front.

• Like 1

unless space is an issue, use another klf-20 or 30 as your center. it will best the C7 by a long shot. or a heresy II even sounds better than a c7. i was using a HII for about 6 months before i made my klf-20 center channel.