Crown Amplifiers

arfandbark

Crown is a good amp. I've owned their DC-300A, DC-300A Series II, Power Line Three; and PS-400. They have a tremendously high damping factor which works well with acoustic suspension speaker systems. I think McIntosh's autoformer sounds better with Klipsch horn-loaded -- IMO -- so I got rid of all my Crown when I went back to Klipsch.

Mick

HERE GOES, actually I have a good working BGW 75, do I NEED a Crown 60 for my mid/tweets LSI when/if I bi-amp?

The guy on ebay will BIN now with me. What's this worth? Looks like this one saw studio use, probably headphone mix amp, good working condition. Got a minimum bid of $45, no bids so far, so he can BIN.

$$$ Ideas????? (I've got lots of amp just lying about, would the BGW be 'just' as good?)

Michael

Its just a guess, but I would try the BGW.

If you don't like it, the Crowns are common enough that I suspect you could borrow one for a day or two - and I would even check with a few MI shops in the area as they probably have one or two sitting around if they deal in used equipment.

But if you can get the Crown for ~$45, I would say you can't go wrong buying it either!!!

I was a bit surprised to see negative comments about Crown amps.

I have used these in a few different labs over the years. They have always sounded great, looked good when we checked via scopes and spectrum analyzers. They are also very well built (or at least they used to be)

-Tom

I'm using the 402 right now as a subwoofer amp, but had it connected to my mains for a long time before that. I'd say it is one of the better sounding amps that I've heard. But in it's price range it can't be beat. The only downside to it is the fan noise. I've got it in my cabinets behind a door with insulation surrounding it and it's just audible when the music stops. There are however aftermarket fans that can be swapped out that will be much quieter.

without even knowing anything about the unit, i know of a good quit fan. don't know if it spins fast enough or not. anyhow.. panasonic panaflow available through digi-key. use them in all my PC's and can drop ambient 15db. suckers are quiet!

• 8 years later...