My brand spankin new home made center channel

billyjoe72

I have been looking for a Klf-C7 on ebay near me for local pick up for a few months now to no luck. So behold I see a scrapped out Klf-10 for sale I got as the only bidder for $69 plus $24 shipping. I had some left over wood from a poker table I built earlier this so I built a box. It took almost 2 weeks for the drivers to arrive because the guy was in Florida helping his parents get out of dodge while the hurricane came through. I received them yesterday, well packed I might add. I took them home and cut my holes for the drivers and crossover. I lined the inside with 1 inch foam and covered it with some heavy fabric from the wife. Bolted everything down to the lifeless box, plugged her in and she was alive. After tweeking with two port sizes in the back, I now have a center channel that rocks, rocks, rocks. I use a harman kardon AVI 200 II in the garage. No clue whether or not it sounds as good, better or worse than a C-7 but it sings real nice and has plenty bass. That single horn puts out some good mids and highs. Cigars to everyone on my newborn.1.gif Here are a few pictures.

Billyjoe9.gif

post-17599-13819267245796_thumb.jpg

I'm torn on painting it. I have black satin 20's. I want to get some 30's for my fronts and put the 20's in the rear. So what ever finish 30's come available close to me for pick up I'll be happy with. I guess it really doesn't matter if they match or not. Just as long as they sound good.1.gif Thanks for the nice words. I must admit, I'm kinda proud of the sound for less than a hundo and can't wait to get home and tinker alittle more.16.gif

I am looking for a KLF-C7 as well. I might be interested in doing what you just finished doing. Does the KLF-C7 use the same x-over/circuitry as the KLF 20's do? If the C7 has a different x-over/circuitry wouldn't that make your rig sound totally different? Just curious because I am definitely interested in what you did.

Thanks

scooter...

Beautiful room. That's what I'm working towards. How does your center sound? Did you tinker with the ports for the woofers to breathe?

Kent...

I don't know for sure if they are the same as the 20's. Someone will probably chime in and let us know. I guess I could open up mine and see. I would highly recommend a try at doing it yourself just for the thrill of it. I have been toying with mine all afternoon. 1.gif

GREAT work on the homemade KLF-10 center. I bet it is actually better than the C7 due to the 10's and lower frequency response. The C7 lacks the lows of the 10.

----------------

On 7/14/2005 1:23:02 PM kentmjohnson wrote:

I am looking for a KLF-C7 as well. I might be interested in doing what you just finished doing. Does the KLF-C7 use the same x-over/circuitry as the KLF 20's do? If the C7 has a different x-over/circuitry wouldn't that make your rig sound totally different? Just curious because I am definitely interested in what you did.

Thanks

----------------

For this KLF-10 Center, it sounds like Billyjoe used the Crossover that came in the trashed KLF-10 box, which would be the right way to do it, instead of the C7 network for the different frequency response.

The C7 and the KLF-20 use a different network. The C7 is a two way speaker, with a frequency responce of 75Hz-20kHz, and a HF crossover of 2000Hz. The KLF-20 is a three way speaker, with a frequency response of 34Hz-20kHz, a HF crossover of 7000Hz, and a MF crossover of 750Hz.

You can always build a C7 and buy a brand new upgraded Kstack network for it from a forum member by the name of Popbumper (Chris). You could also buy a new upgraded Kstack network for KLF-20 from him if you go that route, which would be a better match having 3 of the same going across, even better that the nicely matched, but a little different C7).

2.gif

• Like 1