Tom??? What the hell is THAT!!??

Tom Adams

Tom Tom Tom -

I am sooo jealous. Do you have any imaging problems with the tweeter of the Heresy off to one side? Have you tried it upside down in the center of the TV? Just wondering cause a Heresy is one of my options for my next center speaker.

Humm are those socks on top of the electronics on the right Cornwall? They seemed to have moved from the table berry berry interesting wink wink nudge nudge

Laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

FOR SALE OR TRADE COMPLETE R*3 SYSTEM FOR 3 HERESY'S

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

This message has been edited by eq_shadimar on 09-16-2001 at 12:50 AM

Way to go Tom!!!

I caught hell when I put up my C7, I can just imagine the dues I'd be paying with SWMBO if I put one of my Heresy's up there! LOL

I'll bet the sound is awesome!

Mike

Front - Cornwall 1

Rear - Heresy 1

Center C-7

Sony db940

Soon to add:

Kenwood KR9600

Pioneer SX1250

Sansui 9090db

Cool! Here's another line..."but sweetheart, it also has motion sensing capabilities for intruders." Now Tom....how many times has she reminded you to fold and put away the laundry! cwm24.gif

Curious as to what year are your Cornwalls, one pair of mine have original PWK emblems, but they're in the right corners of both cabinets, they're 71's. That appears to be an early model Heresy as well.

btw - Does that left Cornwall extend past the entrance opening?

Wes

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 09-16-2001 at 07:32 AM

HOO-RAY!! Let's hear it for eq for getting it right. The socks were indeed on top of the CD player on top of the right Cornwall. For his efforts, eq will recieve a duplicate cassette recording of Warren Zevon's "Excitable Boy". LOL

As for the Heresy's performance - I like it as a center channel and don't seem to notice much of a problem in imaging. I've not tried it in any other position, but now that you've put that bug in my ear, I may have to give it a shot tonight. In all honesty, it performs as well as my RC-3 (or does the RC-3 perform as well as the Heresy?). Dialog is clear and has a different tonal quality (which is to be expected) than the RC-3. OTOH, this may not be a fair comparison since I did do the Klipschguy Heresy mod of moving the tweeter to a different tap on the autoformer. Regardless, I feel the Heresy matches up to the Cornwalls better than the RC-3 (duh!). I find I also like it better for 5ch. stereo than the RC-3, like a fuller, warmer sound? Once again, maybe the mod - maybe not. Then again, maybe my ear is just use to "that" sound, I dunno...

Jobman - I didn't get off totally unscathed. Got "the look" that only wives can give, followed by a shaking of the head in disbelief. Smile.gif

ShapeShifter - My Cornwalls are 1971 vertical horn models and the PWK emblems indicate which side the tweeters are on/up. Your comment about your emblems being on the same side has me curious. Have you ever taken the back off your speakers?? You might have two "right" speakers. And yes, the left Cornwall extends into the hallway opening, but ever so slightly. If & when my *#^%@&% custom A/V cabinet comes in <ARGHHHH!! Mad.gif>, the Cornwalls will be relegated to a music only room and the Heresy's will resume full time duty as mains until I can invoke the cloak of darkness and bring home a pair of RF-?? Smile.gif. As for the Heresy's, they are 1979 models and have been with me since new.

Thanks guys for all of the comments/questions/jokes. Have a great day!! Smile.gif

Tom Adams

Hi Tom,

You're gonna have a real nice setup when all your custom work is completed. A dedicated music room sounds real nice.

My 71's are a matched pair, serial no's 1J966/967. I've never taken the backs off, but the verticals are mounted in upper left of one and upper right of the other. I've seen pictures of other Cornwalls that were mounted this way also. My guess is that Klipsch must have had some reason for the variation in emblem placements. Well it's just one more Cornwall configuration thing that has my curiosity bugging. Thanks for the feedback and I'll be watching for your updated pics when you're done.

Wes

Tom,

Cool setup! Your Heresy should work fine on its side. Some of the original Heresy documentation indicated that this was one of the install options for the "first center channel speaker." I had stereo Heresy's mounted on their sides, and I found it actually helped with imaging in my old setup. In my new HT room, my Heresy center will also be on its side. Once I move the drill press, of course... Smile.gif

R0ss

------------------

"Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana."

Tom,set the Heresy upside down so the riser is on top.Find a small under cabinet floresent light that will fight in the base.One that small could be placed on it's side aginst the front inside of the riser.

If you can find one that has a "day light"bulb or find a bulb at an electrical store.Day light is 6500 degrees kelvin,will make the color on the RPTV closer to true daylight.

The tweeter will then be closer to the Cornwalls on a more even plain.

The light will add just enough light and reduce any glare.

I had a 4'daylight fixture behind mine for years.4' was a bit too much.

Just a thought.

Steve

fini - No, I don't have several pairs rolled up to toe down the Heresy. Actually I'm using a precision made item that accurately places the Heresy's angular attitude. That's right, a good 'ol piece of 1x2 right outta my scrap wood box! Smile.gif However, I am using a Thorlo atheletic sock (tried other brands, but to no use) under my Monster HTS2000 in order to eliminate a ground loop hum. Sorry DD2, couldn't resist. Wink.gif

SteveP - Read an article in HT magazine about doing the "daylight" bulb thing you suggested. I have that on my list of tweaks and will try it if & when my *%$@ custom A/V cabinet comes in (ARGHHH!!!!! Mad.gif). As for the attitude of the Heresy, I tried the upside-down placement and didn't really notice a major difference. But, then again, I didn't watch but one movie and it wasn't a major action flick. <LOL> The Heresy is "standing on its head", so to speak and the wife walks in, looks at the speaker, looks at me, shakes her head and then says "You know...I really wanna ask what that is all about. But I'm not. And ya wanna know why? Because I'm afraid you'll tell me." <LOL> I swear, she cracks me up sometimes. Biggrin.gif

Tom Adams

This message has been edited by Tom Adams on 09-20-2001 at 11:54 AM

quote:

Originally posted by Tom Adams:

However, I am using a Thorlo atheletic sock (tried other brands, but to no use) under my Monster HTS2000 in order to eliminate a ground loop hum. Sorry DD2, couldn't resist.
Wink.gif

Glad to know it's working for you. It fixed my hum problem, too. Now, I've just got to get something to keep my feet from sweating in my sneakers. I noticed a nice little adapter at Jensen Transformers for about $1,000,000 that should do the trick. Smile.gif

This message has been edited by dougdrake2 on 09-22-2001 at 01:31 AM

I just did a site search for the word "socks" and came up with 17 topics. I don't know who's with me on this, but interest like this seems to warrant a whole new category devoted to socks. It would certainly be the first place I'd click.

Socks as acoustic treatments. How much do you dump into your socks? Furriously vibrating socks. Can we ever own enough socks?

Really, I DO have a life,

fini

Wes, I have a pair of the old Cornwalls like you with the vertical mids and tweeters. The thing behind the emblem is as follows ... the lefthand speaker has the emblem on the left, and the righthand speaker has the emblem on the right. This is designed to give the speakers the widest possible soundstage, since LF is omni-directional, and the HF is not. Might as well put the upper frequencies apart from each other.

BTW, the vertical mounting of the horns gives the widest dispersion, contrary to conventional wisdom. The narrow dimension (in this case, width) of the horn gives the widest dispersion, and the widest dimension gives the narrowist. If the horn is oriented vertically, you get wide dispersion of the sound. That's why so many people with the old CW "II"'s swear by the imaging of these speakers, which I also testify as being superb.

Hope this helps.

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Chris,

Yes, the imaging of the vertical II's is indeed superb. My greatest pleasure is the level of detail produced in the mid & high freq range. I did a side by side comparison with my 85 I's and the verticals are hands down champs. With their biggest advantage, at least to me, being the mid/high range. Slight advantage in the low freq area.

Regarding the emblem placement. I remembered there were previous discussions in this forum regarding their placement, and recalled someone stating that their pair had the emblems mounted opposite in corners to their verticle horns. I had to run several searches but here's the link to the thread and the quoted post.

http://216.37.9.58/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001399.html (Link Revised 9/30/01)

quote:

Originally posted by Dan-OH!~:

Allan, those look VERY similar to my 65's,

that ARE designated II's, but as yet another

(never ending??) twist to the differences in these "special" Cornwalls, my PWK emblems are mounted on the opp. side of the horns rather than the same corner, as yours are....,

It is interesting, with these being somewhat rare,

that there have been like 3 sets available between here and ebay, in the last month.....

I'm still wondering (and I guess I should post to THAT thread..), about the set that sounded like they were intended for either "standard" or "Lowboy" staging...,

....those must not have risers..., and a pivoting emblem??????

....I think Jim should buy one of these sets of early II's, so he can perform and report...

an A - B, B comparison, to his 2 sets of standard Cornwalls...,

and resolve some of these vertical vs horizontal horn notions, for us.....,

Dan-OH!~

It seems that Dan-OH! and I have Vertical Cornwall II's that were made with similar emblem configurations. I'm now wondering were these configured for use in some 4 Cornwall setup. Matching sets of lefts & rights for both left and right channels or quad setup? If each pair had emblems matched to opposite sides, both pairs would have emblems oriented the same, whether stacked vertically or stacked horziontally. I may be streaching my reach, but there has to be a reason. I'm still buggin' over this one!

The mystery continues.

Regards,

Wes

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 09-30-2001 at 04:28 PM

ShapeShifter, good post ... yeah, it's beyond me to divine why the emblems would be in "those" corners. The nice thing about hand-built assembly is that there are "errors", hence "collectability".

I wouldn't trade these early "II's" for ANYTHING. Yes, K'horns probably outperform them, but the Khorns need so much nursing to get them in the right position, good corners, etc. I'm about to get a pair of '76's next weekend ... not sure the wife is going to let them into the living room ... I heard them 23 years ago and never forgot them. They're soon to be a part of our home, and hopefully the kids will take them when I leave this beautiful world of ours Smile.gif

Ciao bene.

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD