$1500 or less turntable options?

If you're able to spend $1500, there's a ton of right choices out there. My Scout/Glider combo makes me very happy.

If you don't already have something, budget for a realistic cleaning method for used vinyl as well.

Even though I realize the importance of a quality cart, I'd spend $400 on a VPI 16.5 and $100 on a cart if I were starting out, rather than the other way around.

Well im buying the rf-3 today...ill post pics when i bring them home...and well the cornscalas got put on the back bunner. I want to upgrade my sources first. As for haveing a turntable yes i do have one. Not very nice a MCS...its a tecnics but marketed under a different name. Audio-technica cart.

I have about 100 records however that is ever expanding. I have yet to buy a cleaner...i use a micro fab cloth...I'm going to buy a nitty gritty manual deal.

Please keep the sugestions coming...I'm looking for bang for you buck...1500 is the most i can spend...1000 would be better...then i would have 500 to put into cornscalas or the dynaco st70 i want...i only have an h/k 430 right now.

----------------

On 7/17/2005 11:59:14 PM ben. wrote:

If you're able to spend $1500, there's a ton of right choices out there. My Scout/Glider combo makes me very happy.

If you don't already have something, budget for a realistic cleaning method for used vinyl as well.

Even though I realize the importance of a quality cart, I'd spend $400 on a VPI 16.5 and $100 on a cart if I were starting out, rather than the other way around.

----------------

I think I'd go the other way around, if I could find a 16.5 for $100...2.gif

Nothing wrong with the RPM 6 but I would check out the compliance of the Grado cartridge you are thinking of fitting. Grados have very high compliance often and are more suited to lower mass arms than the Project 9 that is fitted on the RPM 6.

A friend had to return a Grado Sonata (I think) for that very reason on an RB250.

There are many other choices out there that would be a safer match - Sumiko make a goodly number and I have quoted Denon on these forums too often to mention them again (which I just did - sorry).

I'd see about either VPI or Rega.

I'll be selling my Rega P25 in the near future. It has an upgraded platter and a Benzo Micro Glider (high output so no step up tranny or MC stage req.). PM me if you have any interest.

the nitty gritty manual deal cleaner wont do 1/2 the job of a vpi 16.5 i know i sold the nitty gritty to get the vpi and the differance was huge, as far as a table i would look alot further than project your budget will allow a much nicer table i had the(not sure here about the rm, may have been rw, cant remember) project rm 4 and i found build quality was CRAP the plinth was pressed wood painted flat black, and the platter was also pressed wood painted silver the bearing was steel and the clutch some sort of plastic or nylon in my opinion a very cheaply made table for the cost i realize you are talking about one of there higher end models but my opinion is if they will skimp on one model they will on others., i was able to buy a basis 1400 with upgraded rega rb300 arm and a grado referance sonata cart for 1300 shipped to me off audiogon, and have seen several vpi scouts available around 1100 (all good reviews) i would even say a music hall 7 would be a much better table than the project, and leave money for the cleaning machine to boot, i would suggest looking around before buying the project JMHO.10.gif Joe