Do these speaker models look familiar?

charlieboy

I was visiting with a forum member who has been in his shop in Houston. He said Gary fabricates his own horn flares. Don't know what kind of drivers and/or crossovers he uses. His cabinet carpentry looks to be excellent. He also will sell his cabs empty, upon request, for someone who wanted to build up their own clone. Definitely a one man shop and he will not ship. His stuff is for local pickup only.

Suppose it doesn't bother Klipsch LLC, or they'd have one of their corporate attorneys write letters to Shinall. That they haven't done that, is an assumption on my part.

I'd think, if someone wants Klipsch, Shinall and Co. just wouldn't be the same.

Heard one forum member say, somewhat skeptically, that Gary Shinall told a story that he thought he'd inspired PWK's design on the Belle. Also, should offer a disclaimer, on third, fourth or fifth hand conversations... I have no clue about the association Mr. Shinall may or may not have had with Mr. PWK.

"Suppose it doesn't bother Klipsch LLC, or they'd have one of their corporate attorneys write letters to Shinall. That they haven't done that, is an assumption on my part."

The K'Horns patents would be LONG since expired. Once they expire they are fair game. Trademarks would still be protected so if he was using them Klipsch would have a reason for a letter.

Shawn

----------------

On 7/18/2005 8:07:04 PM Seadog wrote:

I have visited Gary at his shop and have seen his vintage K-horn. It is the real deal. Where is it advertised for sale? I did not see that on his web site.

----------------

Here you go!

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?spkrfull&1126890795

He doesn't claim his speakers are Klipsch. I can't say that for some here who have built cabinets to LaScala, Belle, or KHorn specs and then say they have LaScalas, Belles or Klipschorns. Copies yes, but NOT the real deal, even if loaded with Klipsch parts. They may sound exactly the same, but they aren't the same.

----------------

On 7/19/2005 8:30:49 AM Colin wrote:

has anybody heard them?

----------------

I am driving out by the Spring area tonight... I wonder how late his "shop" is open. Anyone know where he is located? Is the shop out of his house?

• Like 1

I have revised my opinion of Gary Shinall's work.

I think that it's fine, and hope that he does well. Somebody has to carry the PWK designs into the future.

From what I hear from people here on the forum who know, he's a nice guy with a nice line of products and satisfied customers.

DM2.gif

----------------

On 7/19/2005 8:30:49 AM Colin wrote:

don't know how he can make a product that looks just like a Khorn!
6.gif

has anybody heard them?

----------------

I heard them last year, and they sound very good. If you are interested, I posted a short report from my visit. It is on page 5 of this thread:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?mode=viewtopic&topicID=48823