Dean, Bob c what do you think?

3dzapper

What do you think? Are these tybe B crossovers from my 1975 Cornwalls original or somebody's idea of a bad joke?

In my first review of these Corns, I said that the mids were "brittle" sounding. I wonder why. These CDE (Cornell Dublier) caps are cute though!

typeB.jpg

Rick

PS: The caps in the background are the replacements.

post-12829-13819268551134_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 7/18/2005 5:20:08 PM 3dzapper wrote:

What do you think? Are these tybe B crossovers from my 1975 Cornwalls original or somebody's idea of a bad joke?

In my first review of these Corns, I said that the mids were "brittle" sounding. I wonder why. These CDE (Cornell Dublier) caps are cute though!

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/typeB.jpg" border="0">

Rick

PS: The caps in the background are the replacements.

----------------

Looks like some of these I found in some original Type AA crossovers. Yes, they are someone at Klipsch idea of a bad joke I think. Truly some of the worst caps I have ever encountered.

Bob

yelcap.jpg

post-9312-13819268551954_thumb.jpg

Nicely done Rick! You're on your way. I just got in contact with Bob about getting all mine done- 13 in all - yeouch. Some will be new (LS AL's no more), some I'll probably let Bob rebuild and I'd like to do a couple just for the fun of it.

Michael

Al,

That is my picture that I like to show people who think reading capacitance is good enough. Notice that thing is still in spec on capacitance but with 48 ohms ESR you sure won't get much signal through it.

Bob

Well my '77 cornies came with those shiny cans that look like they should be holding pipe tobacco, not those yellow thingies.

Wonder if that is one of them that Bob's got on display. So what should the values read? Got to check up to make sure Bob dind't slip in an old pair he used chrome polish on.3.gif

Ole bob wouldn't do that. Would he?????

Thanks Michael. Just the caps I used for your 13 Xovers would run you over a grand. Bob's repolished stuff is a great deal. 2.gif

I highly recommend the P-traps with spring terminal K-55s. The parts can be had for about 3-4 each dollars from Parts Express.

Rick

Guess I should show what a shined up-- I mean good new cap tests like. This one is a 2 uF and you might notice that it reads darned near that. Low numbers are good on the ESR, but are of less importance if you are going to use a P-trap.

Bob

goodcap.jpg

post-9312-13819268555694_thumb.jpg

Well I opened up those cans and tobacco did fall out!

Bob will probably try to convince me that it's really esoteric magnetic shavings designed to realign the thingabobber with the whatchamacallit.

I read previously about these here P-traps, but Rick's a born again liar so I was wondering why a Possum Trap would do anything for sound besides remind me of the yelling I did when I stepped on one once?

So I've got a mutlitmeter (sounds foreign to me-how many inches are there in a meter anyway) lots of settings, should I use Ohlmie (that's white for Homie) setting or something else?

----------------

On 7/19/2005 8:17:15 PM thebes wrote:

Well I opened up those cans and tobacco did fall out!

Bob will probably try to convince me that it's really esoteric magnetic shavings designed to realign the thingabobber with the whatchamacallit.

I read previously about these here P-traps, but Rick's a born again liar so I was wondering why a Possum Trap would do anything for sound besides remind me of the yelling I did when I stepped on one once?

So I've got a mutlitmeter (sounds foreign to me-how many inches are there in a meter anyway) lots of settings, should I use Ohlmie (that's white for Homie) setting or something else?

----------------

Readings such as those above are not obtained by using the typical multimeter. But then the meter shown above is almost useless for doing anything your normal multimeter will do. You have to have a deep burning desire to know what is going on inside capacitors and inductors to want to spend what one of these meters costs.

Bob

Steve, On push terminal K-55s a P-trap blocks the return peaking at 9Khz as seen in this plot done by Al K:

K-55plot.jpg

Klipsch networks rely on the natural roll-off of the K-55 above 6KHz in crossing over to the tweeter. The comback after the drop off is audible and is IMO a distraction. It seems to me to cause a "honk" in piano, vibraphone and horns in the harmonics of C over middle C or there abouts. It used to really drive me nuts.

Rick

post-12829-13819268556984_thumb.jpg