Review on the DeanG xover mod for RF7

Fast1

Well I modded the xovers on the 7s and thought I would post my findings. WOW! They really do sound different. The first thing I did was grab some unplugged acoustical music and found myself pushing on them very hard because they were sooo deep sounding and did not hurt my ears. I then tried some more metalic stuff from Bon Jovi, very sweet. I did opt to pull the horns back a bit with the resistor tweak, but this is optional.

The biggest thing I heard was more detail and much more dynamic sound. They are no longer an in your face type of speaker, but more deep. I did opt for the more expensive film and foil caps for the series pieces in the HF board, but that is on preference because it does cost more. If you are on the fence with this mod, do it, you ears will like you for it.

PS

Thanks for all the help Dean.

I'm still not convinced from changing mines from Stock. My RF-7's sound so fantastic already. I'm afraid to change the sound evens one once since I'm in such a spell with the stock sound.

I hears all this talk with some say HOT TOP, but I donts get that but creamy smooth sound.

If it aint broke, donts fix it, is what I say. If you gets a hot top or what ever others are gettin, than the fix is for them. Really creamy smooth with extreme detail, the sound is bliss and mind blowing how fantastic these RF-7's are. Enjoys your new mods.

Had a full listen to 1812 Overture-Telarc last night, and WOW. the detail. I also listened to Hendrix 1983 from Electric Ladyland. The sound stage was huge. The speakers are 9 feet apart, and I swear the center channel is on and the left guitar is 4 feet left of the left speaker. There's no reason to jump this quick because I am enjoying them so much. They say that RF-7s break in too. I will prolly get Dean's x-mod eventually, though.

If everything sounds great, then keep what you have. Many of the older members find that the highs can be a little brittle on the ears and like the detail, but not the ear-wind. I have a friend who's system I find way too bright, but he loves it that way, so... I also think some of it has to do with the type of music you listen to and the quality of the recordings. The detail with a bit of subtlety is a good thing for many of us.

Listening to my RF-7's some more tonight, I still can't believe how beautiful these things sound.

I don't get any bright or harsh highs, not even at high volumes, I'm just not getting what some of you are saying here. I'm running a McIntosh with my RF-7's and it doesn't allow bright, just a very smooth, warm, and creamy sound, with very revealing details. The way these speakers sound with this equip, I've decided, I aints gonna change nothin here. I love the stock sound and I think Klipsch did good with the hard research and final outputs of these things! 9.gif

Subdue these by changing what I gots, hell no, no way. I'm staying the stock way, the way it was design and meant to be for this Klipsch Boyee.

"If everything sounds great, then keep what you have. Many of the older members find that the highs can be a little brittle on the ears and like the detail, but not the ear-wind. I have a friend who's system I find way too bright, but he loves it that way, so... I also think some of it has to do with the type of music you listen to and the quality of the recordings. The detail with a bit of subtlety is a good thing for many of us."

Actually, the mod is not just for the so-called "older members" who find the highs brittle to the ears. My review outlined increased soundstage and detail benefits, and others have noticed some changes:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=49074&forumID=68&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={19255191-DF7C-4AB8-8551-F32E67390663}

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=49654&forumID=68&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={19255191-DF7C-4AB8-8551-F32E67390663}

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=53603&forumID=69&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={19255191-DF7C-4AB8-8551-F32E67390663}

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=57287&forumID=69&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={19255191-DF7C-4AB8-8551-F32E67390663}

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=63950&forumID=71&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={19255191-DF7C-4AB8-8551-F32E67390663}

But, I agree that if a person believes that his or her RF-7s cannot improve in any respect, I would leave them as is.

Carl.

Brandon, congrats on the mod. As you are hearing, there are very tangible improvements that accompany the mod that go far beyond the issue of a hot (or not) top end. For me, the mod also worked well with my RC-7, and it still ranks up there with some of the best money I have ever spent.

Sometimes, the quality of parts does make a difference.

Carl.

Ok, I gets it now. My friend wanted to prove me what a $300 cheap recv. can do, so we hook it all up and abouts 10 minutes with this thing was way too brights for my ears to handle, had to takes a break. Bright, yes, harsh, yes, not any things like the sound I know the RF-7's can be. Was also flat and not much involving, put back my McIntosh and thank goodness to have my smooth musical sound backs, no bright, no harsh. Ok, I get what it is now but you cants blame it on the RF-7's it has to have good equip for sure. It means it is the equip's fault, or you for not picking what goes best for Klipsch. It shows just how important you must makes sure you pick the right equip, like some say - garbage in,, garbage out. So I think it is equip related of what you will get, now I know for sure, I needs no crossover change. I get very large soundstage too but it colaspes in and too narrow with the cheapo $300 recv. and openiness disappears too.

----------------

On 7/26/2005 4:48:38 AM KlipsDude wrote:

Ok, I gets it now. My friend wanted to prove me what a $300 cheap recv. can do, so we hook it all up and abouts 10 minutes with this thing was way too brights for my ears to handle, had to takes a break. Bright, yes, harsh, yes, not any things like the sound I know the RF-7's can be. Was also flat and not much involving, put back my McIntosh and thank goodness to have my smooth musical sound backs, no bright, no harsh. Ok, I get what it is now but you cants blame it on the RF-7's it has to have good equip for sure. It means it is the equip's fault, or you for not picking what goes best for Klipsch. It shows just how important you must makes sure you pick the right equip, like some say - garbage in,, garbage out. So I think it is equip related of what you will get, now I know for sure, I needs no crossover change. I get very large soundstage too but it colaspes in and too narrow with the cheapo $300 recv. and openiness disappears too.

----------------

Ummm, ok. You conclude that you cannot benefit from a crossover mod for your speakers.

However, there have been others (including Trey) who have heard RF-7s run by very nice equipment (including tubes and nice ss) that have heard audible improvements after Dean's mod, and again, those improvement go beyond "no bright, no harsh."

Wow, running RF-7s by a mass-market receiver. Yes, that could surely cause ear pain.

Carl.

cjgeraci, I did nots say some one couldn't benefit from crossover change. I said, I get what some say about it by trying a different equp. and understand now.

What I am saying, is that I find no need to to change my crossovers for me! I dont get bright and I dont get harsh. If I decide to change my RF-7 for any reasons in future for a change, DeanG would be the guy to go to, but like I said too, I very much like what the Stock sound has for my liking and would be nervous to change it for me, just being honest. I would have to hear the change first before I decide to do it for sure, but right now I'm gonna stick with my 5-year warranty from Klipsch, so after my warranty and want to change would be more willin at that times. Warranty means something to me and I dont want to gamble for myself but as others point out, speakers are solid and they dont mind, that is

fine cause its each our own choice just like you did for you.

Now if some one is gettin bright or harsh, they can contacts DeanG to save $$$ from having to upgrade equip to change, would be cheaper for the DeanG mods.

I do not know how Trey feels about the crossover change, never asked him, never read any thing he posted about it. I did call Klipsch and talked to a very nice lady about my questions about the crossover change, she said she knew just who I needed to talks with and I talked to a very nice guy who helped me out a great deal with puttin it in perspective for myself and I trust Klipsch what information they give to help me. I found Klipsch to be very honest and helpful and appreciate that very so much.

I should also follow to say that I have read great things here on the Klipsch forum about DeanG crossover fix, sound like a great many are happy and satified with it. I also talked to a couple guyz here in PM that help fill me in the in and outs of the change and its been positive what they share with me. I donts have any dismay about the DeanG crossover fix, think it is great for who needs it, and that Dean is willin to help others here with his service!

Thank you DeanG for your service provided here! 9.gif, gettin nice positive ratings here with crossover change and craftmanship. 1.gif

woops, I meant to say "crossover upgrade", didn't mean to say "crossover fix", or hot top fix, I understand now, thanks for explaining it to me Dean and others here.

Sorry for the miss-wording Dean, I promise I'll say upgrade from here on out.

Thanks, and thanks for helping me out with being skeptical, Im still learning from you here, even if some think Im still a little sh*t.

Thanks all wit the help and explaining to me.