2/la scala w/sub OR cornscala's?

r.cherry

I have a pair of Industrial La Scalas and I was also on the La Scala w/Sub or Cornscala fence for a while. I did try subs and just couldn't get them to blend correctly. Before going to the Cornscala, I decided to build a version of the DJK mod and I am very pleased with the results.

The bass is strong at 40 hz and has usable output to about 30 hz. The volume of my rear ported chamber is 5.9 cu-ft with a slotted port, which is very similar to the Cornwall. Since my pedestal is 12" high, I had to invert the tweeter and squawker location, so the tweeter was still at ear level. (See picture)

These speakers have had several mods and I listed them below in order of improvement.

1. Modded version of DAH2 crossover

2. Replaced the K-43 woofer with the K-33 woofer

3. DJK bass bid mod

4. Braced side walls

5. Damped horns with rope caulk and duct tape. (I rapped the horn with tape after applying the rope caulk to keep it from falling off.)

6. Added an ambiance tweeter to the rear for frequecies above 12k (Most won't agree with this, but it just adds more realism to cymbals)

I have pictures of all the mods if anyone is interested.

post-13315-1381926874996_thumb.jpg

If you are a 2 channel purist with the need for low, fast bass, I will also vote for the Cornscala or the Cornscala dbb.

I had a pair of La Scalas with ALK networks. I had to get sub to fill the low end. These are 2 HSU TN 1220's. The sound of the LA Scalas are wonderful. The bass would be perfect at times as well. The problem with the sub is getting a perfect match. Al the time was fiddling with the sub to get it to match different sources or different kinds of music.

The Cornscalas fixed that. The Subs only play with movies now. The Cornscala dbb is another level.

My La Scalas and Cornwalls are now sold.

jc

----------------

On 7/25/2005 5:49:16 PM lar418 wrote:

I have a pair of Industrial La Scalas and I was also on the La Scala w/Sub or Cornscala fence for a while. I did try subs and just couldn't get them to blend correctly. Before going to the Cornscala, I decided to build a version of the DJK mod and I am very pleased with the results.

The bass is strong at 40 hz and has usable output to about 30 hz. The volume of my rear ported chamber is 5.9 cu-ft with a slotted port, which is very similar to the Cornwall. Since my pedestal is 12" high, I had to invert the tweeter and squawker location, so the tweeter was still at ear level. (See picture)

These speakers have had several mods and I listed them below in order of improvement.

1. Modded version of DAH2 crossover

2. Replaced the K-43 woofer with the K-33 woofer

3. DJK bass bid mod

4. Braced side walls

5. Damped horns with rope caulk and duct tape. (I rapped the horn with tape after applying the rope caulk to keep it from falling off.)

6. Added an ambiance tweeter to the rear for frequecies above 12k (Most won't agree with this, but it just adds more realism to cymbals)

I have pictures of all the mods if anyone is interested.
----------------

Hi lar418! I got myself a pair of LS ind. and I already upgraded the networks and replaced the woofers. I am really interested in the rest of your work, it looks fantastic and I am sure it sounds that too! If you have pics of the other mods, guidelines, etc. I would really appreciate it. Tim 1.gif