Initial review of C7 with KG 5.5

t-man

I hooked up my C7 this morning right next to the KG 2.2V I currently have. I plopped in my favorite test DVDs including Roy Orbison, Eagles, Toy Story 2 and Antz. First I played several selected scenes with my current 2.2. Sounded pretty good, as I'm used to this by now.

Then I hooked up the C7, and played all the same scenes. I did notice that the C7 was clearer, and produced better treble and dialogue than the 2.2 (it has a much much bigger horn, as well as woofers) Whereas the 2.2 is a tad bid muffled, the C7 goes to the other extreme. By itself, it sounds great, but compared with the 5.5s, it's a tiny tad bit over the top. All in all, I prefer the C7. It did produce dialogue and especially vocals much closer to the 5.5s than the 2.2 could. A good test is to toggle back and forth between having center set to small, and then none. There was less difference when I did this testing with the C7.

I then relistened to the scenes with the 2.2. With normal HT movies, it's hard to tell the difference. It's more noticeable with audio DVDs. I didn't test 5 channel stereo.

The bottom line: If you have the space, you should consider the C7 with the KG 5.5 mains. However, the 2.2 or 2.5 does an excellent job in a more confined space and pocketbook. Unless you had a side by side comparison, you would have a hard time discerning much of a difference when you consider the trade-offs. Those being the size, weight, and price. If you consider the $400 difference in price (retail) between these two choices, I do not think the C7 is $400 better than the 2.2/5 in this particular application. If money and size are no object, get the C7. Either way, you won't be dissapointed with either center channel.

As for me, I'm keeping the 2.2 where it is, and putting the C7 in storage. When I get my new TV, I'll use the C7, as I will have to modify my ent center for a larger TV anyway.

I hope this helps.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KLF-C7 (in storage)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

This message has been edited by t-man on 09-17-2001 at 09:27 AM

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am suprised to hear you say that T-man. When I upgraded to my C-7 (replacing my 2.2) to me it was like a whole new experience in HT. It opened up my system's clearity, range and power more than I thought it could. The 2.2 sounds like a muffled walkman headphone compared to the C-7.

My mains are the KG 5.2's which are almost identical to your 5.5's (but sound a little better with the passive radiator) and they match up perfectly with the C-7.

Maybe the size of the room really makes a difference.

Monty AKA Montigue

Monty,

Yea. I am surprised to hear me say that, too. I guess I was expecting a more night and day difference. Perhaps your 2.2 was broken? I always run my center on 'small', how about you? That may make a difference.

Don't get me wrong, the C7 is great, and it is better than the 2.2. I just can't justify going through all the work right now to modify my ent center again. The sound difference wasn't that much better.

How big is your room? My HT area is quite small. I sit only 10 feet from my TV and speakers. The wall is right behind me.

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KLF-C7 (center in storage)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

t-man,

I agree with you as well. I used a C7 for nearly 3 months with my Cornwall & Heresy fronts. It performed well, but I was always aware that it was the most pronunced speaker in the front array. I also have an KG2.2V which (to my ear), was more pleasing as a center speaker with this setup. I'm now using an Academy, the C7 is long gone, but the KG2.2V is still here, and will remain for a long time to come.

Wes

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 09-20-2001 at 06:51 PM

Shapeshifter,

That's very interesting. The C7 most pronounced when put up with Heresy and Cornwall?!?! Everybody seems to keep dogging me and my KG2.2 on this board, and nobody but me seems to recommend it. Glad to hear I'm no longer alone.

I guess what is also confusing is that the speaker matching info on this new website says that the KG2.5 is the speaker that matches the 5.5. We all know the 2.5 and 2.2 are identical. However, if you look at the KV3 on this website, it says it matches all the 2nd and 3rd generation KG series mains. On the 5.5 info, there is no mention of the KV3.

So what gives! Anybody from Klipsch care to give us an opinion of which speaker would go BEST with a KG 5.5? The KG 2.5/2.2, KV3, or C7. Maybe even the ACADEMY??

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

When the KG series were current the KV1,KV2,and KV3 were sold as matching centers.Seems Klipsch at that time was just beginning to think about HT.Later the RS3 and RC3 were shown in the matching chart for use with KG5.5's.

The Klipsch Synergy Premiere Series was designed with dedicated center's and rears,but now the chart shows the C5 center and S5 surrounds matching the KSF-8.5's and 10.5's and the S6's and C6 as matching speakers for the KSP300's.The C5 and S5's were designed to be used with the 300's.

Try the C7 set large.As ShapeShifter said it will easily overplay most all Klipsch speakers I've heard.But then again I haven't heard them all and generally don't know what I'm talking about.

Keith

TTK,

Your new-found humility is nice to see. At one point in history, you used to make all kinds of statements on this board referencing that you believed to know everthing.

T-mancwm1.gif

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

hey t-man

From the pictures you posted I can understand why you can't justify spending the extra money on the C-7. Your room is just too small. If I were you I would probably do the same thing.

My room is about 12'L x 12'W and even I have to set the center at about half the output as the mains keeping it on large. With these settings it really blends in very well with my system. The only thing I don't like about the C-7 is that it sounds a bit harsh. Not really noticable until you put your ear right up to it and then you can hear that the highs are just too high. I have heard many other people complain about the KLF's as being too harsh. I think that maybe they are just senative to what type of connection is in between them and the receiver.

Anyway I payed $300 for mine. That is about the most I would pay for it. If I had to pay what Goodguys want's for it then I too would still have my 2.2.

Although I stand by my earlier statement that I think the C-7 is one of the best center channel speaker's on the market.

TTK, Thanks for the additional info on the KV centers. It will be helpful in choosing a replacement for the KV2.2V that I'll keep for myself.

I would like to clarify that my preference for 2.2V over the C7 in no way deminishes its performance. The C7 is truly a great center speaker, and I can envision it displays its true potential when matched with KLF fronts. Its just that my ears with the two sets of fronts I use, I was more pleased with the subdued sounds from the 2.2V. The Academy...now that is indeed a heavenly match for me.

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 09-21-2001 at 06:19 PM

The C7 overplays the KG5.5's but IMO is perhaps the best match for the 5.5's I've ever heard.The KV-3,and even the KV-2, will do a good job if you drive it with some REAL power.

t-man, I used to know a lot about the audio.But in the last 10-15 years other more important things have crept

into my life.Now it often bores me.As you do.

Keith

------------------

KSP-300 FL/R

KSP-C6 CENTER

SW8II C/SUB

KSP-S6 SURR

KSP300 SB

SW12II

SONY KP53XBR35 RP

DENON 3801

DENON DVD3300 DVD-AUDIO

SONY MDP455 LDP

ACURUS 125X5

ACURUS 100X3

MONDIAL M.A.G.I.C. BOX

PANAMAX MAX 1000

PANAMAX COAXMAX (2)

AQ SLATE

AQ COPPERHEAD

AQ SIDEWINDER

AQ VSD

TRIBUTARIES S-VIDEO

MONSTER INT.400MKIII

the c7 is 1 bitchin dedicated center. if it sounds anything but great then most likely there's something wrong elsewhere. i'll probably even cut my front & rear C7 at 40hz w/ the new denon 4802 global adjustable

crossover. don't tread on the C7, it's apple pie baby Biggrin.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front)

2-KLF C7 (front center & rear center)

Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Acurus A200X5 power amp

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS2500 & HTS1000 powercenters

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Technics dual cassette deck

rock on!

Hey boa, Congrats on Denon 4802!

Did you miss these comments in my previous post?Confused.gif

"I would like to clarify that my preference for 2.2V over the C7 in no way deminishes its performance. The C7 is truly a great center speaker, and I can envision it displays its true potential when matched with KLF fronts. Its just that my ears with the two sets of fronts I use, I was more pleased with the subdued sounds from the 2.2V. The Academy...now that is indeed a heavenly match for me."

-------------------------------------

Main System Setup

NAD T 761 Receiver (Pre-outs to Outlaw)

Outlaw 750 5 Channel Amp

Klipsch Cornwalls (Front w/Outlaw)

Klipsch Heresy's (Front w/NAD)

Klipsch Academy (Center w/NAD)

Klipsch Cornwall (V) II's (Rear w/Outlaw)

Klipsch RS-3's (Rear w/NAD)

SVS SV20-39CS SUB (NAD 2400THX Bridged)

Klipsch KSW-12 (Sub)

Klipsch RF-3's (NAD T 761 "B" Channel)

Denon DVM-3700 DVD

Sony CDP-CA80ES

Sony MiniDisk Deck MDS-JE320

Mitsubishi Stereo VCR

Mitsubishi 52" Wide Screen

Sony Remote Commander RM-AV2100

Monster Cable HTS-3500 Audio/Video Power Conditioner

Bedroom HT Setup

Onkyo TX-DS484

Sony DVP-530D

Sony Dual Cassette Deck

Phillips Magnavox 27'

Klipsch Quintets (Front, Center & Surrounds)

Infinity SubWoofer

3rd System Setup - Listening Only

Sony Prologic Receiver STR-D1015

Sony CassetteTC-K444esII

DAK Stereo Power Controller

Technics Turntable SL-D2

Akiai GX-280D 4 Track Real

Klipsch Walnut Quartet's

2 EA. Quintet's

Klipsch Walnut KG2.2V Center

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 09-22-2001 at 09:01 AM

Fellas,

What's up with all the neg vibes on this post? Please read my comments carefully. I also stated that the C7 was BETTER than the 2.2. I never said it was a lousy speaker. I just gave my opinion based on my set-up, in my environment. I made the decision to not go through the hassle of modifying my Ent center to fit it until my new TV arrives. That's why I'm keeping the 2.2 for center channel use - for now. Take it for what it's worth. I just thought my personal comparison notes would be helpful for those making financial decisions with similar set-ups as I have.

Sorry to bore you, TTK. Lighten up. We are all friends here.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

shape & t, sorry just a lil tongue-in-cheek rave on my last post. cwm19.gif

of course matching is just as if not more important than the center itself. i've found the c7 of course to be a great match for my klf & cornwalls, but that's as far as i can go from my own listening except that the c7 is definitely not a good match to rf-3.

oh & shape, i haven't gotten the 4802 but gettin pretty

close to ordering it. hopefully the denon has more preamp output caus even w/ this new A200X5, i have to really crank the marantz to get over 100db in the listening position. depends on the source, but w/ dvdp

i still need to go up to -10 to get to my loud & sweet levels.

This message has been edited by boa12 on 09-22-2001 at 02:25 PM

Boa,

That's cool. cwm12.gif

Be careful with setting the cross on the C7 too low. The specs say that it only goes down to 75 hz.

T-man

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

boa,

Not familiar with your marantz model, but -10 on volume huh. No you've got me curious as to what your channel balance settings are for each speaker. My max fronts and rears +5, Center is usually +4 movies & -3 music, with sub even lower at -4 music & +1 movies. So a -10 on volume level is barely tolerable on music for me. I can get to -3 on movies.

Once you get it, I sure want to hear your assessment after you get a chance to put it through it paces. My dream setup would be a separate Pre/Pro (maybe Outlaw 950) and 2 Anthem Amp 1's for a front/rear setup like Chris Robinson. But future funding restrictions (LOL) may force me to settle for a receiver upgrade only.

Was just my way of kiddin' you back...I'm not thin skinnedCool.gifWes

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 09-22-2001 at 05:20 PM

t-man, using something like the avia disk try a freq sweep on the C7. it'll go down to 50hz & more on my sys. thing about the 4802 is the adjustable crossover is global. should be for each channel group but if i get to picky this audio thing's gonna kill me. Biggrin.gif maybe i'll do 60hz. will definitely try diff setting when i get that 4802.

shape, i have LF+1, RF+2, C+5, RR+1, LR+1. this marantz kinda has a rep for needing to be cranked to get the juices flowing. sounds like not the case w/ denon & others. whatever works Smile.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front)

(2)KLF C7 (front center & rear center)

Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Acurus A200X5 power amp

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS2500 & HTS1000 powercenters

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Technics dual cassette deck

rock on!

Guys,

Very interesting with the volume settings for each speaker. I use the Video Essentials DVD and when playing the tones for each channel, it asks that you set the SPL meter to 70 db and dial the speakers in at 75 db. The Denon volume is set to 0 db. My settings are FL -11, FR -11, C -7, RL -2, RR -2, SW -9. That is with the Chorus' up front, C-7 center, RS-3's in the rear and the SVS 20-39CS sub.

When watching movies or listening to music DVD's, if the volume is anywhere from -5 to zero -- it's pretty damn loud...around 90 to 100 db. It's possible, after looking at some of your settings, I might be doing something wrong. BTW, before getting the Chorus', the CF-2's were set to -5, so there's a pretty big difference with efficiency between the two speakers...

Mike

Troy, sorry I don't seem to understand your warped sense of humor.Please insert a smile or some other code when you post insulting remarks to myself so that I'll know that you are just using your warped *** sense of humor.

I simply enjoy audio and get some measure of pleasure trying to help others.Some people no one can help.Take yourself for example.Please. Biggrin.gif

Your Friend,

Lite'n Lively, Keith