ebay academys

dtel

Nope, I am getting rid of the additional center speaker altogether. With the center La Scala having 400W X 1 available to it, no additional center is really necessary.

The reason I was looking to trade for a pair of Heresy's is I have another idea in mind for them.

It was I that bought them. Something came over me this morning and I figured this would be a way to get my hands on at least one to try out. I figured it wasn't that likely that lots of people would bid on a 3-pack, plus a SW8 to boot, so I jumped in.

I'm feeling a little chagrined, as I'm not sure what to do with them. (No flames, please.) I HAVE always wanted to hear one to see what the fuss is about, but I already have a Forte center between my two Chorus mains. However, with a new HT in the works, and a projector that will throw a 120" image (screen about 5' high in 16:9 format), and a low ceiling (less than 8' once it's finished), I've been puzzled about how a Forte would fit as a center in that environment. Putting it above the screen would likely push the screen too close to the floor (especially for the 2nd row of seating) and putting the Forte on the floor aimed up would likely not be the best acoustic option. Plus, as Frzn points out, there's that rear passive radiator to contend with.

I also am using Forte's for surrounds, but again, not sure if they'll fit in the new HT. So, maybe the Academys become center and surrounds for me.

For those who have them, would you recommend using them as surrounds for 5-channel music (a la SACD), which is why I'm using my Forte's for surrounds now?

----------------

On 8/7/2005 2:22:01 PM Frzninvt wrote:

Nope, I am getting rid of the additional center speaker altogether. With the center La Scala having 400W X 1 available to it, no additional center is really necessary.

The reason I was looking to trade for a pair of Heresy's is I have another idea in mind for them.

----------------

all heritage in your daughters room?9.gif

just get her some khorns

Dougdrake, Once you get em play with them a bit. In a previous incarnation of my HT I had Chorus, Forte II and 3 Academies to work with. What I found worked best was:

Chorus/Forte/Chorus up front with Academy/Forte/Academy in the rear.

Obviously that was a 6.1 set up. Not sure if youre new plans call for 5, 6 or 7.1. As good as the Academy is for a center I really liked the Forte between the Chori. The two academies as surrounds were very, very nice.

I did not find that the rear radiator on the Forte II was that big of a deal at center. I had it about 6 inches off of my front wall just below the frame of my screen.

I know what you mean about tight space with the Forte below the screen. Dont forget you might get an extra couple of inches by taking the riser off the Fortebut I am sure you knew that.

Good luck and nice score on the auction. If it does not work out you should surely be able to get your money back out of them.

Doug, congrats on the pickup. I think the Academy is an extremely versatile speaker. I've used it between Fortes and am using it between Chorus IIs now, and for kicks and grins I even hooked my two up and used them as stereo mains with a sub. There were some things I like about them better than I liked my Heresys in that configuration, especially their detail and smoothness at low volumes. They would do well at moderate levels too, but when pushed to high volumes . . . well, Heresys are hard to beat in that department when you're talking about small speakers. 9.gif

But I digress. What I mean to say is that I think you'll be able to do just about whatever you want to with those Academys, and if your expectations are at all reasonable, I doubt they'll fail to meet your hopes no matter what you ask of them -- center, surrounds, whatever. Congrats again. You're in for a bit of fun.

O