How to make a Subwoofer go deeper?

toussi1

I have the KSW-12: According to the specs it's suppose to go down to 26HZ... I don't know if that is an honest enough, because i have run a sound generator from 20-80HZ and this sub has most bass produced at 45-65 HZ : sure you do get 20HZ bass out of the unit; but its just PORT NOISE.

- Is there anything to do to this sub to make it hit deeper? Loudness is not an issue, since its located in a 10X9 room with two SF-2's and a Yamaha RX-V800

------------------

http://www.autodirectsave.com

There is an upgrade available. Sell your Sub, and get an SVS. For $399 you can get one that is flat to 25 hz.

------------------

KG 5.5 (mains)

KG 2.2v (center)

KLF-C7 (center in storage)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12 (sub)

Denon AVR 681/1601

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Kenwood LVD700 LD

Sony CD changer

Sony 27" Trinitron

Sony PLX I

Acutally, if i wanted DEEP bass, i would go with an EarthQuake Magma 15" subwoofer (25mm Xmax 500RMS) in a SonoTube 8+ cubic feet enclousure + a Port Tuned at like 20 HZ. Also, a 250 RMS Amp from Partsexpress.com I think that would give some breathtaking results. I would estamite it would cost something around $600 - But i don't have the cash Nor the space for a gigantic Tube.

------------------

http://www.autodirectsave.com

This message has been edited by toussi1 on 09-25-2001 at 10:29 PM

• 3 months later...

Guys, the question was how he could make his CURRENT sub go deeper, not which multi thousand dollar sub could go the deepest. Of course anytime Earwax posts it's usually about all the snazzy **** he's got, and hardly ever about the topic at hand.

If you want the KSW-12 to go deeper, there arn't too many options. Polyfill might do it, but I highly doubt it would make a difference. If you really wanted to, you could make another box for the sub and amp, and design the box and port to make it go deeper?? That would be a lot of hassle though.

------------------

JVC 36" tv

Technics DA-10 Reciever

Klipsch KSW-10 sub

Klipsch RC-3 II Center

Klipsch RB-3 Surounds

Nuance Fronts

Hitachi DV-P415U dvd player

This message has been edited by APPLEBITE on 01-31-2002 at 12:53 AM

t-man,

Yes you can get a svs for 369.00 but this is for the enclosure and sub "only".. Add about 200-250 for a amp and you have exceeded 600+. The most logical thing to do is try different placements, and if there is no big difference, well there is only 1 other choice, sell it.

------------------

Home Theater:

Yamaha RX-V1000

Klipsch RF-3's

Klipsch KSC-C1(LOOKING FOR A RC-3 OR RC-3II)

Kenwood KSV64 Bipolar Speakers

Klipsch Subwoofer KSW-12

Television: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

DVD Player SONY S-360

CD Changer CDC 585 5 Disc Yamaha

Philips Pronto ts-1000

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire

APPLEBITE I think you may have polyfill for brains.

Taking the driver and amp from the unit and placing it in a long tube a la SVS or HSU is a major mod.It would not be a KSW12 anymore.What a genius you are.I did not know this could make the bass deeper. DUH

Just get a inexpensive SVS CS or SC Plus and you dont have to do any mods to get great deep bass.Better drivers and large cabinets with a solid Samson amp will bring true sub bass home.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

my suggestion for a new box was just that, A SUGGESTION. Yes it would make the sub go deeper, if you tune it to do so, and would cost ALOT less than going for an SVS etc etc etc. I didn't see anywhere in the original post saying that they wanted to buy a new sub/amp combo, so I was going with what was stated. Every post from you seems to be about "just get an SVS, Krell, Dynaudio etc etc etc, to solve your audio problems". Don't assume poeple have the money for that stuff, and if they do, who's saying that they want to drop the cash for that stuff??

Take a post for the imformation that's in it. Don't look at it for the flame that you think it hold's.

------------------

JVC 36" tv

Technics DA-10 Reciever

Klipsch KSW-10 sub

Klipsch RC-3 II Center

Klipsch RB-3 Surounds

Nuance Fronts

Hitachi DV-P415U dvd player

This message has been edited by APPLEBITE on 01-31-2002 at 01:02 AM

do you have it placed in a corner? if not, put it there, try different distances from the wall. hope this HELPS-that is a big part of what this bb is about,isn't it? avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15 on the way!!

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

any SVS sub will give you kick *** bass and if you want a sub that can go reaaaaaaaaaaaaaalyyyyyyyyy low for not to much $ get the 16-46PC. its flat to like 20HZ and SVS says it can go doiwn to 10HZ (WOW). or if you want REALLY powerful bass get the svs ultra. two svs ultras will be more powerful than the velodyne HGS-18.

------------------

Receiver:Pioneer VSX-D850S

Display: Mitsubishi 46 inch HDTV

Fronts: RF-3II

Center: RC-3II

Surrounds: RS-3II

Sub: SVS 20-39CS+ w/ Samson S-1000 Amplifier

Toussi---With a vented box one would expect most of the sound near f3 to come from the vent, that's the nature of vented boxes. Stuffing the box will most certainly screwup the system and performance will suffer. Vented box design is very exact based on TS specs, volume of box and vent volume, that and the chosen alingment. Change any one thing and it all goes to Hell. As has been said corner placement will give lower bass, also EQ might though one must be careful EQing vented boxes below f3 lest the cone, unloaded at frequencies below f3, go into overexcursion causing distortion and possible damage. You were advised to try a different box: it's possible the driver might go lower in a larger box, to find out you need the TS specs of the woofer and an enclosure design program (well you can work the math on a calculator), several programs are available free online.