Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Aug. 8

thebes

Yeah for me. It's my birthday. Getting so old I think this may be my last one for awhile. It was much easier when I was 21. I could count my age using fingers, toes and dropping my pants.

The format's simple, name of artist/group, name of album, type of music (cd/lp etc.), and genre, rock classical, jazz etc. as best you can.

As usual I'll start it off with:

Let's show my age by heading back to the age when rock dinosaurs roamed the land and putting the spin to:

Ten Years After, "Undead" ,lp, rock/blues. Yet antoher early British group enraptured by the American Blues. Alvin Lee on vocals for a live recording with whole lots of great guitar licks and very well recorded.

So what do you have to share this week?

Jimi Hendrix, Electric Ladyland, LP, Reel-to-Reel, 8 track cartridge, Cassette, CD, MP3, WMA, OGG, DVD, VideoCD, MTV-Specials, VH1-Specials, PBS-Rock-History-Specials, Rock

Im a "Voodoo Child"!

LP Release Date: 1968 "yeah I bought it when it came out! I also had the Reel-to-Reel 1-to-1 running master release"!

CD Release Date: 1997

Greg

Happy Birthday - hope it was a good one.

I'm watching and listening to The Best of The Mavericks - The DVD Collection. This is a compliation of 5 of their video's including:

1. O What A Thrill

2. What A Crying Shame

3. All You Ever Do Is Brink Me Down (feat. Flaco Jimenez)

4. Missing You

5. Dance The Night Away

This group is hard to pigeon hole into any particular category since their sound changes with each album they release. The bass playing of Robert Reynolds and thrashing of the drums by Paul Deakin really make this group in my opinion. I do enjoy Raul Malo's voice (which reminds me of Buck Owens) but don't think they would be as good without Reynolds & Deakin in the background.

Happy Birthday! August 8th used to be my birthday too! My actual birthday is August 5th but my mother mixed up the days and thought it was August 8th. We didn't catch the mistake until I needed a copy of my birth certificate for a passport.

Anyway, this week I'm going with "Take Me Back to Tulsa" - Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys (a four cd box set!).

bobwillstulsa.jpg

The genre is western swing and Bob Wills was the King. An old time fusion of rag, country, folk, gospel, honky tonk, crooning, blues, swing, and, of course, jazz (for those who like jazz 2.gif). A piece of America. The recordings in this set (109 of em) are wonderful and full of energy. "Sang it, Tommy, sang it......Aww yeeahh, take it away Mr. Leon."

Another CD to add to the collection if you don't already have it. Joe Cocker Ultimate Collection. 20 of his best songs through the years.

1. With a Little Help From My Friends

2. Feelin' Alright

3. Delta Lady

4. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window

5. The Letter

6. Cry Me A River (live)

7. You Are so Beautiful

8. I'm So Glad I'm Standing Here Today (w/The Crusaders)

10. Many Rivers To Cross

11. Up Where We Belong (w/Jennifer Warnes)

12. Shelter Me

13. You Can Leave Your Hat On (my personal favorite!)

14. Unchain My Heart

15. When The Night Comes

16. Now That The Magic Has Gone

17. Summer In The City

18. Have A Little Faith In Me

19. Said Away

20. First We Take Manhattan

I still have trouble watching him (he's a little strange in my book) but there is something about his voice and of course the music and vocals behind him that make him an artist worth having in your collection.

Hope someone agrees and/or will add this to their collection.

Thanks for the comment about my avatar Sputnik - it's actually a large animation but did reduce well.

----------------

On 8/11/2005 10:13:08 PM itsawomanthing wrote:

13. You Can Leave Your Hat On (my personal favorite!)

----------------

4.gif Now that caught my eye. A gentleman wouldn't ask and neither will I 1.gif.

The only Joe Cocker I have is an old "Mad Dogs and Englishman" LP. I dug it out thanks to your post. I hadn't played it in a long time. That "Ultimate Collection" looks like a great CD, looks like all the classics.

Along the same lines (sort of), how about Bob Seger - "The Distance" (before he sold trucks)? It includes "Shame On the Moon", "Love's the Last to Know", and my favorite song of his - "Roll Me Away."

Rubber Soul, Beatles, LP/CD, Rock

While many today still remember the Beatles very few remember the songs that really made the Beatles the #1 group in the World back in the early 60's.

The LP "Rubber Soul" has some of the best music the Beatles ever released.

Songs such as "Drive My Car" and "Michelle" were songs that I remember having some of the greatest air play on radio during the 60's.

Of all the Beatles music ever produced the "Rubber Soul" release in my book was their best work and a must have CD.

1. Drive My Car

2. Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)

3. You Won't See Me

4. Nowhere Man

5. Think for Yourself

6. Word

7. Michelle

8. What Goes On

9. Girl

10. I'm Looking Through You

11. In My Life

12. Wait

13. If I Needed Someone

14. Run for Your Life

Greg

new CD's this week:

Weezer-Make Beleive

Foo Fighters-In your Honor (also available on Vinyl)

DVD's

Heavy Metal- the movie (superbit) $9.99 at BB /sounds great!

The Jeff Healy Band- Live at Montreux-DTS /This Rocks!!

Concert for George- it was OK I guess

----------------

On 8/13/2005 10:22:46 PM grog wrote:

Rubber Soul, Beatles, LP/CD, Rock

While many today still remember the Beatles very few remember the songs that really made the Beatles the #1 group in the World back in the early 60's.

The LP "Rubber Soul" has some of the best music the Beatles ever released.

Greg

----------------

I've posted this before, but Rubber Soul and Revolver are my favorite Beatles records. It was the brief period when they were producing the perfect balance of pop music for the sake of pop, and art music for the sake of art.

Great recommendation.

cover.jpg

In the same vein, I'll suggest a similarly transitional record by Sloan, a band from Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Though perhaps not as widely admired as Smeared and Twice Removed, one chord to another is a favorite of mine. The band is really going from art to pop, rather than the other way around, but still a nice balance.

This band is seriiously worth a listen. I've got several friends that aren't overly interested in music that always ask to throw on "that Canadian band; you know the one with that song with the cajole me line..."

The best of the swamp-rocker -- "Premonition" by john Fogerty. Live rock-n-roll. Available on CD, but the DVD, out of print, but frequently on Ebay, is worth the extra bucks for the songs and the concert video.

I just got a Russian copy of the PAL version off Ebay from some guy in Azerbijian 14.gif -- price was decent, audio and video are great and he didn't nail me for the shipping ($4).

This is the only modern day recording, I think, of Fogerty doing old CCR songs and he knocks it out!

Happy B-Day, thebes.