Best all-time heavy metal scream?

nuclearay

except "Won't Get Fooled Again" is really more hard rock, not so much heavy metal,

hell it is now actually classic rock

some of the heavy songs lately, they scream all the way through (those guys really need to get laid!)

10.gif

Best one time scream has got to be Roger Waters in "Careful With the Axe, Eugene".

Chris Cornell was an excellent selection, Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden is also pretty damn good. Dave Grohl is moving up the ladder.

Classic metal screams? Robert Plant was always a bit too faye to be "metal". Rob Halford, rightly, struck me as nothing but the long-lost sixth Village Person. Axel Rose was pretty good til he became a wuss.

Think I'll have to go with Sabbath era Ozzy. Not screechy.

----------------

On 8/12/2005 8:14:58 AM Colin wrote:

except "Won't Get Fooled Again" is really more hard rock, not so much heavy metal,

some of the heavy songs lately, they scream all the way through (those guys really need to get laid!)

10.gif

----------------

It's more of a 'Golden Oldie' nowdays Colin. What's next- Who Muzak in the elevators? When Led Zep became the theme song for Cadillac was a sad day for Classic Rock.

But I'll stick to my choice. Those guys from the 70's could out-rock, out-party, and out-write any of these kiddies today. Robert Plant faye???? c'mon!

Roger Waters 'Careful with that axe, Eugene' was always a fave of mine. Six minutes of build up to that single whispered line, then terrific bloodcurdling scream as something apparently went horribly wrong with Eugene's axe handling skills. The video on 'Live in Pompeii' is especially terrifying.

(My dad's middle name was Eugene.)

Michael

----------------

On <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />8/12/2005 8:14:58 AM Colin wrote: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" />

----------------

Colin, I wouldn't worry too much about categorizing the Who, Deep Purple or Led Zeppelin......

While so many want to credit Zeppelin with creating heavy metal, Deep Purple had already defined that niche while Zep was still a concept on a napkin at the table with Entwistle, Moon and Page. And who knows what category you want to put the Who into! Heck, they existed prior to the creation of the categories and defined the standards for what was to follow and for what far too many bands still can only aspire!

I will leave the categories for those bands who build upon what these guys did, and who emulate rather then define a genre.

And to think that they did it with music and not make-up! Go figure

And why can I not get Speed King out of my head!

And on a tangent and speaking of Pink Floyd, why do SO many (including the idiots on radio!) think of them beginning with Dark Side!?!?!?!?! And as far as I am concerned, Fleetwood Mac died with the advent of Buckingham and Nicks! Why does anyone need Nicks when you have Christine McVie!? Not to mention the whos who litany of incredible guitarists up through Welch!! Oh well...

2.gif9.gif9.gif

PS - for you others, thats a PUN! 3.gif

You guys are right! You can't overlook Umma Gumma!

Dragonfyr,

when did you sneak into my house and steal my LP collection? I have a feeling we have IDENTICAL tasted in music. Good to see another rock and roll historian on board. For some great reading on the subject, look up Ian GIllan's autobio 'Child in Time'.

Peace brother,

Michael

I love Zeppelin, but Plant was so "not-metal" depsite his ability to deliver crushing vocals. Long blond curly hair, bell bottoms and embroidered cotton pull overs? Little faye. :)

Even Jimmy Page with his Black Leather or Dragon pants couldn't quite sell the metal look. He was a nice Public School Chap!

Zeppelin, even more than the Who IMO, totally defy any classification. From blues to folk to metal to prog they did it all really, really well.

----------------

On 8/12/2005 9:42:09 AM dgb wrote:

........Zeppelin, even more than the Who IMO, totally defy any classification. From blues to folk to metal to prog they did it all really, really well.

----------------

Not heavy metal, nor the best; however, for screaming to "totally defy any classification"...............

.............................Yoko Ono 9.gif

It's realy hard to define Metal . I thought back in the 80's that bands like Priest , Maiden , Accept , etc. etc. etc. ,were Heavy Metal . Now looking back , and considering where Metal is these days , it just seems like hard rock . I thought at the time I was a Metal Head , but now I would have to say I was just a Rock Head , I guess I still am a Rock Head . My mom used to tell me that I had Rocks for brains , I guess she was right ! Anyway I would still have to give the award of best Metal screem to Ted Nugent . I found the old Double Live Gonzo CD's , pulled up the Motor City Madhouse track and let er rip . At the end , Nuge goes into a full 10 second Blood Curdling Scream that would be hard to beat . Uh , IMO ...6.gif

The Heavy Metal albums I listened to went Gold and some went Platinum and were NEVER played on the radio.....the only way you knew what the band looked like was by the Album cover or saw them live.

Classic Rock stations who play "the Who" and "Zepplin" are as sickning as watching another rerun of "Full House" with my children.

"Who got fooled again" was good the first thousand times I heard it, now I shut my radio off when it comes on.

Roger Daltry is a long way from the best HeavyMetal scream ever......you really need to search past the top 40 classic radio stations for that.

Roger Daultry is a long way from the best HeavyMetal scream ever......you really need to search past the top 40 classic radio stations for that.

-------------------------------------------------

I would agree! That Roger Daultry is simply capitalizing on Roger Daltry's reputation! That slacker!

2.gif9.gif

And since ol' Roger is such a slacker hobbling around on his walker, I am hoping that you will kindly share that LONG list of those much more eminently qualitified!!!!

After all, the Who are just another dinosaur band! (He said with a wry grin!)

And why do I have a bad feeling you are going to trot out David Lee Roth, Joan Jett, or ABBA!?2.gif3.gif You're going to have to do better then that! 9.gif

You dont have to look past "Sad Wings of Destiny", "Rocka Rolla" or of coarse "Screaming for Vengence"

Try listening to the last verse of "Run of the Mill" off of "Rocka Rolla" .....the whole last verse is sang in a Scream longer and clearer and higher than your classic band "The Who" ever imagined.

I realize I am asking for the most lame semantic game ever...

But as John Kay (who???) used the term "heavy metal thunder", and the Who and Led Zeppelin are just "hard" rock, no... "classic" rock. So Please tell us just what "heavy metal" rock is, and HOW it is different! And exactly with whom did it begin?

Suspecting of course that we will simply get some interpretation arbitrarily defining some obscure band as THE standard. But I am sure they will be very fierce and very anti-social!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!2.gif3.gif6.gif

You dont have to look past "Sad Wings of Destiny", "Rocka Rolla" or of coarse "Screaming for Vengence"

Try listening to the last verse of "Run of the Mill" off of "Rocka Rolla" .....the whole last verse is sang in a Scream longer and clearer and higher than your classic band "The Who" ever imagined.

------------------------------

Screaming????????????? Just lots of self-indulgent extended boy soprano/falsetto vibrato notes and 'attitude' (scary!!) No screams there!

Just Uriah Heep with a very scary sneer( and a few very simple, but very intimidating chords)!!!!! 2.gif9.gif9.gif

In my generation we consider bands like Disturbed or Godsmack to be Hard Rock/Alternative, which makes me wonder why AC/DC etc is considered hard? I would just call that rock. Anyway I thought I would say both of those bands lead singers "Sully Erna" of Godsmack and "David Drainman" of Disturbed have pretty wicked voices.'

Just my two cents, but other then that AC/DC's Brian Johnson, who I like alot better than Bon has some good screams in their 80's albums like "Back in Black" and "For Those About to Rock.." before his voice stars to go 8.gif

How about a thread of wicked guitarists 3.gif

Angus takes that one hands down..