should i upgrade to klf30,klf20 from my kg5.5

hardiride69

Hi all. I have pair of KG 5.5 speakers that I use as front mains and have been thinking about upgrading to KLF 30's, KLF 20's, CF 4's or CF 3's. I plan on still running these in 2 channel audio which would be ran by a Carver TFM 35X amp, but I also have another pair of KG 5.5's I use as rear surrounds, front and rear center channels which is ran by Yamaha receiver and Carver TFM 35X amps.

Would like others opinion on running KLF 30, KLF 20, CF4 or CF3 as the front mains VS. the KG 5.5 for 2 channel audio and SACD/DVD audio.

Also, your thoughts on the power to run the above speakers like the Carver amps.

Right now I'm incredibly pleased with the KG sound, but I'm just wondering what the others have to offer in sound, clarity, quality, bass, treble, loudness, etc. for 2 channel audio and home theater use.

Thanks.

Right now I'm incredibly pleased with the KG sound...

A lot of people love the KLF series -- I don't. I think they're obnoxious beasts. They have a very forward 'P.A.' type sound. Since you are happy with the sound you have, you might consider improving it by upgrading the parts in the networks, and shooting for a higher quality separate preamp/processor. If you are dead set on a speaker upgrade -- go for RF-7s, LaScalas or Cornwalls.

Dean still answered your question...either upgrade your KG 5.5's crossover network (he can certainly help you there), or purchase a pair of RF-7s, which I believe would be a significant upgrade from the KLF-30, Epic Series line.

Just my two cents. Good luck with your search.2.gif

thanks i realy havent gave much thought about upgrading the parts into my kg but your right the might be the way to go , but like you say. i might think about going with the rf7 , but as 4 pre amps right now im useing my yamaha rec. as my pre amp and realy dont know where to start on looking 4 one of thoughs , but please keep in mind i still do use this 4 home theater as well as audio. i do love the sound that i get from my kg,s but i happen to want a more of room filling sound then what they tent to give off there great when run in 6 channel stereo. but to run the front 2 kg,s bye them self there seams to be a little more that i disire, i was thinking about going with the klf30 because i would like to bi amp them with i tube on the highs and use my carvers in the mids and lows ,

I own both...the KG series and the KLF series. The KLF series is more "forward" and I found them great for use in my home theater setup. I use the KG 3.5's for two channel listening as they are quite detailed and have a very nice, broad soundstage. For sound quality per dollar spent, I don't think you can get a better speaker line than the KG series...espcially the .5 line (3.5,4.5,5.5)

One major factor is room size. The larger your listening room the more the KLF's are likely to have a advantage to your ear.

Just my humble opinion. Hope this helps.

I think you would like the Epics. They are a fantastic speaker. There

is an ad for a pair of Epic CF2's including a Klipsch sub on Ebay right now. They have a buy it now price of $595.00 I believe for all. That is alot of speaker for the money. IMHO.

redtop your right about the kg,s all the way around they do sound nice , but im also looking into new amps to or a a tube pre amp ,but as my house gets larger so does my need for better and louder room filling sound i realy enjoy listening to. bob seager, eric clapton,rattand some old ac/dc at rather loud leavels and then switch over to watch a great movie in theater mode

I would stick with the KG series. I had some KG 5.2's that were the best bang for the buck. The KLF from what I have heard have a cheap construction of the cabinet. There rear firing ports will however, shake the roots out of your hair.