New high for CW's? $1204!

intotubes

1125268938139_DSCN8873.JPGThey are nice looking. They're listed as Teak Oil, when they are in fact a lacquer finish.

This would be a minor niggle if not for the fact that he indicates they were oiled regularly as matter of maintainence. My understanding is that oiling lacquer finishes will soften the lacquer.

----------------

On 8/12/2005 2:22:55 PM ben. wrote:

They're listed as Teak Oil, when they are in fact a lacquer finish.

This would be a minor niggle if not for the fact that he indicates they were oiled regularly as matter of maintainence. My understanding is that oiling lacquer finishes will soften the lacquer.

----------------

I emailed and asked him about this and haven't received any reply. I have a friend who is watching this auction so we would really like to hear the guy's reasoning behind it.

OK, I stand corrected.

I gave nearly $800 for my BR's a couple months ago and thought I overpaid. They were within driving distance tho and that was no small matter. The stain on mine looks very similar to the finish on those "Teak Oil" Corn's. Guess I'll keep 'em. 10.gif

"we would really like to hear the guy's reasoning behind it."

You may not. It's being auctioned off by an E-Bay auction house. Not too personal.

-Mark

The guy responded to my question and said "I was trying to figure out what CTL Means." If you look at the auction now, all mention of them having been oiled has been removed. Maybe I shouldn't have asked him. Either they were oiled when they should not have been or he was not completely truthfull in his original posting... Either way, I think my friend is gonna have to pass on these.

Research is always a good thing.

A) These have just been listed @ 999.00 + 205.00 Shipping with NO bids as of a few minutes ago.

B) My records show a pair of 1978 CWO's as the record at 1906.00 + shipping which was not stated, on 11/28/04. They were very nice and came with the original boxes.

Mike

I've not seen any that were ORIGINALLY Teak. There was one pair of 1971 CBR's that had been veneered in Teak by a pervious owner and they sold for 1499.00 + shipping, but remember in 1971 these were Verticals. In addition they had the wrong K-77 mud tweeters.

What we are presented with now is a 1982 pair with god knows what for drivers and crossovers, unless you see pictures.

This is a store front eBay reseller. They and many others go and get the "easy specs" from the Klipsch site which are really for the 1985-1990 Cornwall II, which show the weight overstated, construction of MDF, and in this case one of the veneer selections as "Teak Oil"

You just have to know what you are bidding on!!

Mike

P.S. I have a "snap shot" of the listing before it was changed.

----------------

On 8/12/2005 4:46:13 PM Good2BHome wrote:

I've not seen any that were ORIGINALLY Teak. There was one pair of 1971 CBR's that had been veneered in Teak by a pervious owner and they sold for 1499.00 + shipping, but remember in 1971 these were Verticals. In addition they had the wrong K-77 mud tweeters.

Hey cousin Mike, those 71's are sitting in my living room and they started out as decorators. 1499 plus 250 to ship. have also changed the tweeters back to original and just had Bob (BEC) rebuild my crossovers. Love em

Russ,

In the dim pictures of the Serial number labels, what looks like a CBR could also look like CDR! Records have been updated! Glad to hear you have originals back in them.

I also had to find "original" tweeters for the 1974 CWL's I bought last year. Within a month, I really got lucky. A forum member wanted to trade K-77 Alnicos for Muds straight-up, so for the price of a FedEx package I had originals.

Mike

As someone here once said "We don't really own these Cornwall speakers. We are just privileged to be their caretakers, until the next caretaker is given that responsibility."

ive got a pair of cornwall walnut laquer (CWL). they would be perfect cosmetic condition if not for a couple of small spots where laquer looks to be coming off. it looks like it may have had a reaction to some sort of polish. i considered refinishing but then decided that i might make a mess out of them.

I am waiting for a pair Originally factory finished in Brazilian Rosewood to show up! Hell I'd pay close to $2K for a pair of those.

Mike is correct this is the first set factory finished in Teak Lacquer that I have seen, it's obvious the seller does not know much about what he is selling.

In addition, since those are so close to the transition point to the II I bet they have the B-3 networks and the K-57K midrange in them.