My klipsch (khorns) story -long

stephan t

This is my first post on this forum. Ok. It all started a year ago when I found a used pair of black (fairly ugly) La scala ('75). Got them for cheap at $500 CAN. The cabinets came with handles on the sides and were in bad shape. Despite their look, the sound was great with my Bottlehead amps 3.5 watts, 2A3 SET.

I wanted more and was hoping for a pair of nice khorns (for WAF) + I have the corners. (LR is 21"X10" with 7"ceiling)

After 5 or 6 months of search on a regular basis, a friend of mine contacted me to let me know that there was a pair on a new website. I live in Montreal and they are super rare here as some members have said before on this forum.

So, I contacted the seller and they were still available. They were in good condition acccording to the seller. The price was within my reach and an excellent deal I believe (1.5K can$). We agreed on a date for the pick up and I was moving everything around in my living room the day prior to pick up when the phone rang. The seller told me that he changed his mind. That they were not for sale anymore. Believe it or not, his wife (77 yr old!) told him not to sell them because she likes the sound.

I could not believe it, my heart was pumping, but I stayed calm and respected their decision. They promise me, I would get them when they will be ready to part with the speakers. Actually, the lady called me back on that evening and we spoke for 1.5 hr. She invited me to go to their house to see and listen to the speakers.

I did that two months later. They left me speechless, a very impressive look. I listened to them for a few minutes at their house and was not impressedby the sound though. It lacked the dynamics. They were in corners 10 ft apart.

3 weeks ago they call me back to say that the k-horns were available again. The only thing is that they wanted to sell the electronics before (mac 2105 and c-28). So guess what? I bought the electronics too! I listened to them for a few days and sold them in one day at a higher price which makes the deal even sweeter!

Yes, I now have the k-horns in my living room 21 feet apart and playing great music. I swapped the crossovers (I changed the caps in the lascala AA's). They are gorgeous and oiled walnut b style. Vintage is 1974. I will try to post pictures later.

Stephan

CAN

Congratulations on your Khorns. I wonder why the good folks changed their minds? I also wonder why the speakers lacked dynamics at their home?

I'd have kept the McIntosh stuff and sold the Bottlehead, though. You're seriously underpowering your speakers.

Parrot, they changed their mind because they are moving and selling their house as the lady's health is fragile.

As far as the sound, i noticed a big difference when i installed the C-Over from my LaScala (auricaps 2 uf and solen 13uf) over the original K-horns cross over.

There was no way i would have kept the mac amp over my Bottlehead gear even though it was gorgeous. The SET amps actually plays very loud. Does not have as much punch as the mac, but it does everything else better (to my ears). I also have a pair or tubed Heathkit w-4 -20 watts that i can use if i want more slam.

In any ways, there are plenty of amps to try, but not too many k-horns!!!(especially in Canada)

stephan

Congratulations!!

Those cabinets look fantastic.

It is interesting to speculate on why the sound was so different in the two different locales. I have seen this occur in other setups also.

Folks typically assume it is the electronics and source. It could very well be true. But I believe the speaker setup and room treatment plays a tremendous role also. The speaker set up isues are probably fairly straight forward; however, the room issues can be quite tricky. Rooms are seldom just an empty rectangle (with predicatable modes) with uniform & easily understood absorption coefficients. It's tricky business and requires a bit of experimentation.

I am glad it worked out for you.

Enjoy & good luck,

-Tom

Thanks guys,

yes they are in stunning condition. You can't find any marks unless you are within a foot from the speakers.

Only one logo pie is missing. Not a ding on the grills, all corners perfect. Only a small water mark on top of one speaker which i may try to fix later.

I know it is a lucky find. Previous owner had them in his house for over 25 years. Plus, they were a 10 minutes drive from my house.

stephan

Man, those pix look great! Nice, very nice. However, I must have my khorns installed wrong. I have them situated up and down (not side to side like your pic) with the HF section/grill on the top. I can't wait to get home and throw them on the floor like yours to see how they sound.2.gif11.gif

Seriously, great score and many happy years of listening bliss.

Thanks Tom,

regarding the sound, I found the mac c-28 pre to lack dynamics when i hook it up to my amps and to its brother the mac 2105. That could be part of the answer. Also, CDP source was from the 80's I believe by just looking at the style. Finally, the speakers were in corners but not tight and not sealed.

Stephan

Salut Stephan...

Glad those Khorns finally worked out for you. Obviously I don't have to tell you the steal they are at that price, and even more so considering the distance. Very few Khorns were purchased new around here during their boom in the 70's and 80's...

My local searches and ads produced very little fruit, so I had to "import" mine, as i think i had mentionned.

Welcome to the forum...

Rob

PS: If you decide on using the LaScala as a centre... I'm looking to split a pair, that i will reveneer, with someone... 1.gif