Help choosing vintage Klipsch

groover

Hello Klipsch faithful. I have decided to venture down the low pwer tube/Klipsch path. I have a dedicated "listening room" which is 12x14 with 8 ' ceiling. I would appreciate oppinions on which models would work in this space. I would consider the Heresy, Cornwall, La Scala, and Chorus lines. I would prefer La Scala but understand my room is too small. Is this true?

I listen mostly to jazz, blues, vocals and some classical and pop/rock from the 60s through the early 80s on vinyl and cd.

Thank you for any and all input.

Ben,

If at all possible, you should try to listen to each of those - the La Scala / Heresy and Cornwall / Chorus are somewhat similar to each other's sound, but very different from anything else. However, given that the Cornwall and Chorus are only available used, and the odds of find a dealer somewhere close to you that has a La Scala or Heresy pair to listen to are slim to none, that could prove difficult.

Where in Connecticut are you? I live in Oxford (check Mapquest if you don't know where that is) and have a pair of 1974 La Scalas with Al's crossovers. I'd be happy to have you come over and play some tunes. My room is bigger than yours, but it presents a difficult load to the system. Room is 17 X 21, but the house is an open contemporary with no wall between the music room and the rest of the house, plus one whole side of the room on the 21 foot side is sliding glass doors, so what you hear in my room will probably sound much WORSE that what you'll hear in yours. I was using Epic series CF4 before I got the La Scalas, which are fairly large speakers, and before I moved here I had them in a 12 by 15 foot room, and had no problems. If you can fit the La Scalas or the Cornwalls in that room and still have room left over to sit on a chair, I think you'll find it works fine.

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Having owned the Cornwall, LaScala and Heresy's, I would say it depends on how far you will be seated from the speakers. I have found that the Cornwalls and LaScala's need to be 10+ feet from the listening position. So if you are seated near the rear wall on the 14 foot length, with your speakers against the wall at the opposite end, you should be good. The Heresy's seem to be OK from about 7+ feet. All 3 of these speakers, but especially the Heresy, will need to be up against the wall or in the corner for the best bass results, IMHO.

Hope this helps.

------------------

L/C/R: Klipsch Heresy II

Surround: Klipsch RS-3

Subwoofers: 2 HSU-VTF-2

Pre/Pro/Tuner: McIntosh MX-132

AMP: McIntosh MC-7205

DVD: McIntosh MVP-831

CD Transport: Pioneer PD-F908 100 Disc Changer

Turntable: Denon DP-72L

Cassette: Nakamichi BX-1

T.V. : Mitsubishi 55905

SAT/HDTV: RCA DTC-100

Surge Protector: Monster Power HTS-5000

Of the forementioned speakers, the Cornwall probably has the highest owner satisfaction rate, IMHO. May not be the best performer any one area, but it does everything well - a "jack of all trades." Also, the Cornwalls are only about 15" deep, so they tuck nicely into the room, despite their large overall dimensions. I don't think I've ever read a complaint about the Cornwalls here, except: they don't make 'em anymore (can you say "Ebay").

Conversely, the Heresys have the highest instance of complaints (I have a pair of Heresys, guys, so please don't give me a hard time, as I do like them). Most of the complaints center around the bass and brightness of the loudspeaker.

If you want a speaker that will really rock a party and crank beyond belief - get the La Scalas. Great speaker - I've spent many hours listening to them.

If you want some big Klipsch, but you will be sitting closer and/or lean towards a smooth, audiophile type sound (you know if your not into a "horn sound", but love the dynamics), go for the Chorus - many hours listening to them, too.

I must say, overall, the Cornwalls have never worn thin with me after 10 years.

Just my opinion.

Warm regards,

KG

Ben,

All the aforementioned Heritage speakers are truly great choices. I've owned Chorus II's which were a wonderful pair of speakers. I currently have a pair of Heresys...love them too, two pair of Cornwalls which are the cornerstones of my music and HT rig. The Klipsch Forte I & II's also receive great praises form their owners.

I would like to suggest another sometimes overlooked member of the Chorus/Forte family. The Klipsch Quartet. They are the baby brother of the Chorus and Forte, although they're smaller in statue, they are indeed willing and great performers. So if size is a real consideration, don't overlook these fine sounding speakers. I have a pair and continually realize that they are truly wonderful speakers. Their performance reminds me of the versatile KG4's, very good at high volumes, smooth and distinguishable sounds at low volume. Bottom line, you can't really go wrong with any speakers from the Heritage Line. I know so many good choices don't make the decision process easier. But be assured you'll be pleased with any model you choose.

Regards,

Wes

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 09-21-2001 at 07:38 PM

I'd find some Cornwall I's.'81 or older.I just like the older metal horns.

Chorus I and II.Both will give plenty of bass.

When I bought my Cornwalls I listened to them with low power tubes.Wonderful,but they would not play any louder than 90 or so dB.That might be something to consider.At least 15 or more wpc.But the room was at least 25 X 14 and we were about 10 feet away.

As you can see below my Cornwalls are in my 21 X 12.5 bedroom and I'm only 7 feet from them.They are sitting on 2'high end tables and sound GREAT.They are SS powered.

Except for the Classical my music is the same as yours.

I love my Klipschorns and my Cornwalls,have a hard time choosing sometimes.

------------------

Main HT:'77 Klipschorns w/ALKs,

'75 Heresy center,modified with,K-Horn sqauwker & AA network.

KSP-S6 at sides

2 KSP-S6's rear.

Denon AVR-3801

2 Denon POA-2800 200X2

1 driving the Horns

1 driving the bi-wired Heresy center.

2 DIY 12"4ohm subs,Carver A500x 400 watts per ch.feed.

1 12" powered sub(behind the couch)feed from the surrounds pre-outs.

Sony DVP-C650D.

Dishnetwork Echostar 4700 w/DD

JVC S7600U S-VHS

Pioneer CDL-D501 laser

Music in "Direct"only!

DH Labs T-14 speaker wire to the front 3.

Room size;15.5 X 25' opening into dining room.

Old RCA 52"RPTV w/matching cabinets

Bed room HT:

KSB 2.1 mains,SC-1,SS-1's,2 SW 8 II subs.

Cornwall Is for music only

Denon AVR-2800,

Dishnetwork,Sony SLV-975HF VCR,Panasonic DVD-RV31.

27"RCA

I would probably jump on the best bargin that comes along, and build on that -

sometimes I wish that I had the more efficient LaScalas (the more horn sound, the better, plus they are not making them right now and it opens up more choices for you in flea powered amps, which really puts you into the horn/tube class) -

and sometimes I wish that I had small set that could fit into a small room, and need only a modest integrated amp and a powered sub-woofer -

I don't think you can comfortably crowd the big old Cornwalls into a bedroom sized room, but get them if you can, live with them until you get a larger room, but be aware that something about them makes you want to get further away; they really throw a large and wide soundstage, and while not crucial to some people, I think that the wall reflections may require some work at first -

how is that for a big qualified "IF"?...

------------------

horns, tubes, subs, leather couch & female vocalists

Hello, i also have 2 pair of cornwalls, me and shapeshifter are very happy owning 2 pair!!

Id like to visit shapeshifter, and use all our cornwalls for 8.1!!

Ive owned a pair of kg 5.5s, kg 4s, kg 3.2s, and have a set of quintets doing nothing, there boxed up!!

I would consider the size of your room, before id buy speakers!!

I set a pair of cornwalls, in a 16x16 foot room, one set is for a 480 square foot room, needless to say with both pair, ill never need much power!!

The kg 5.5 is a good one for a standard size room, that would be the same as the KLF 20 and KLF 30!!

Im in a single wide moble home, and they had plenty of sound!!

The kg 4s were the best sounding speakers ive ever heard for there size!!

And still are my favorite today!!

I only gave them to a freind, because with the cornwalls on, i couldnt even hear them!!

That was 1 pair of cornwalls at the time!!

The kg 3.2s, really had no bass, they were like a midrange set of speakers, i bought them new, and didnt have them very long!!

The quintets, im ganna make a set of headphones out of!! LOL!!!

I would of bought my cornwalls, even if i had to sleep on them, if they took up that much room!!!

But consider your room size, compareds to the cornwall, la scalas, K-horns, belle !

In a small room, these will blow you out of the house!!

I put a little power into both sets of cornwalls, and the porch outside was shaking!!!

I havent broke a window yet!!

in the past, ive had mysterious cracks in the drywall!!

Have fun, Regards Jim

Thank you all for your input. I was hoping to be able to run the La Scalas in my room because of greater flexibility with lower powered amps; the Cornwall being my second choice. It is not the size of the speakers that concern me as much as the issue of them sounding good in this space.

Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

I am pretty much in the same predicament here except I already have the low powered tube amplification... I think your choice of amplifier will also make a big difference here; not sure if you have made any choices or if you have opted for the single-ended triode solution or are going for low power triode or push pull.

I have loved my 14wpc EL-84 based EICO HF-81 more than about any amp I have owned, this including some big names over five times the price and review stature. I sold my last solid state monoblocks over a year ago when I decided I just didn't want SS sound, even if of very high quality.

I heard my first SET amp in 1990. It was the Cary 300se monoblocks...and I will never forget them. Took me years but I finally procured a pair of Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondogs. The 2A3 is an amazing tube and is very extended in either direction with amazing resolution while remaining imminently musical with no glare. The midrange of SET amps is simply in another league altogether... With a well-made SET amp with quality iron, you will get amazing extension with proper speakers. But do not skimp on the transformers as this is the heart of the amps.

I have ProAcs that do amazingly well with most music but just do not fully let go with my more challenging material.

All this being said, I think I am going to make my jump for a pair of Cornwall 1s. I, like you, do not have quite as large a room... but just as importantly, I have so many positive remarks concerning the Cornwall, that I think I am leaning toward that path. I already love my ProAcs (I will never sell these) and you would be amazed how much volume you CAN get from them (key is the benign impedance that does not have dips nor present a difficult load). I think the Cornwall, at near 98-100dB, will be MORE than enough in a room of this size. One thing I do worry about is the distance from the horns.

What amplification are you thinking about? Believe me, it makes just as much difference as the speaker in my book...

kh

s>

s y s t e m

Linn LP-12/Linn Basic Plus/Sumiko Blue Point

Rega Planet

Cary Audio SLP-70w/Phono Modified

Creek OBH-12 Passive

Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

DIYCable Wire - Various

ProAc Mini Towers

Alternate System:

EICO HF-81

ASUSA A-4 EL-34 UL

EICO HFT-90 Tube FM Tuner

Sumo Aurora Tuner

Nakamichi CR-7a

f>

s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 10-07-2001 at 02:45 AM

Ben, I too have LaScala's and have used them in the past in a room of similar dimensions. I had no problems in that medium sized room getting decent sound. If I became heavy handed with the volume, The room would overload.

I agree with Colin that if you are going to be using a very low powered amp, the extra sensitivity of the LaScala would come in handy. Good luck...Joe

I would have to agree with the poster who suggested you add the Forte to your list of candidates: it is the only Klipsch I have owned, so I may be biased... I have listened to the Forte alongside the Chorus, and found the Forte to produce a more realistic soundstage. The Chorus seems to have a slightly more colored sound in the midrange, at least to my ears.

The other great point about the Forte is its narrow footprint; it is still a dominant piece of furniture, but is smaller than the Chorus or Cornwall.

Speaking of the Cornwall, I have not been blessed with hearing this particular Klipsch legend... if any proud owner of these lives near Springfield, MO, I would glady accept an invitation to drop by and give them a listen... I'll buy the sodas (you surely don't expect me to bring alcohol and drive home?)

------------------

McCormack DNA-1 Power Amp

McCormack TLC Pre-Amp

Cheap Sony 5-disc player

NHT SA3 Subwoofer Amp

Hsu TN1220 Subwoofer

Klipsch Fortes (oiled

oak)

Old Akai cassette Deck

Akai AAR22 used as tuner

Nordost Solar Wind interconnects

Kimber 4TC Speaker Cable