Does anybody fly

kohill

I also recommend taking the offer to fly. A private aircraft is much more like the "feeling of flying" than a commercial aircraft is. I was privileged to have numerous opportunities to ride/fly private aircraft in my youth - a much different experience than commercial craft.

I liken flying private planes to driving a sportscar: you "feel" more of the experience of flight/driving, where a commercial craft is like a large sedan - much more "sanitized" from the experience.

Have fun, but remember:

Private flying is 8X as dangerous per mile traveled as motorcycling.

If you have to make a dead stick landing at SAC aircommand (happened to me), keep your hands in sight when the jeeps full of people with M-16s show up.

----------------

On 8/23/2005 7:52:29 AM djk wrote:

Have fun, but remember:

Private flying is 8X as dangerous per mile traveled as motorcycling.

If you have to make a dead stick landing at SAC aircommand (happened to me), keep your hands in sight when the jeeps full of people with M-16s show up.

----------------

I will disagree with the 8x part!!

I have had my licence since 1979 and have owned a piper comanchie 250. I don't fly much anymore due to cost but the pvt aircraft is like a sports car and the commercial aircraft is like a city bus. There is no compairison, take up the neighbors offer, you will be glad you did!

----------------

On 8/23/2005 7:47:55 AM Audible Nectar wrote:

I also recommend taking the offer to fly. A private aircraft is much more like the "feeling of flying" than a commercial aircraft is. I was privileged to have numerous opportunities to ride/fly private aircraft in my youth - a much different experience than commercial craft.

----------------

I agree. I am fortunate to have The Flying Circus but a half hour north of here. It was worth every cent of that $100 to take that stunt plane ride! Makes those roller coasters there at Kings Dominion seem like a kiddie ride after that experience! 6.gif

If somebody offered me a ride in thier plane, I'd be on it like stink on $#!+! 9.gif

Hmmm.... Gives me an idea of something to do this weekened... 10.gif

I have a private pilots license, but it's not current. :-(((((((

Started lessons when I was 18 using the paper route money that should have been used for college. Wanted to be like my Dad who at the age of 15 would run his paper route, then roller skate across town to wash & wax planes at the airport (Roanoke Field) in exchange for flights/lessons. Actually got to meet some of the guys he hung out with and taught him (my Dad is 86, you do the math). LOL....he told me that several times he helped a guy give rides and when the crowds got too big, the guy would tell my Dad to take people up. Yep - Dad had no license. The transportation museum in Roanoke has several pieces of his memorabilia on display.

My first flight was in a Beech Bonanza V35. It belong to the Dad of my across the street bud, George. I can't tell you how many times I used to beg George to ask his Dad to take us flying. Oddly, my Dad and George's Dad got along quite well, yet Don never took my Dad flying much even though he knew about my Dad's military flying.

My next time flying was when I took it upon myself to visit a flight school at the local airport. The instructor was needing to take a plane up, so he told me to hop in. We start rolling down the runway and he says, "Ok, she's all yours." It was my first time at the controls and I was on top of the world.

Told my parents that night what I did and that I wanted to learn to fly. BIG argument between Mom & Dad. Not over money, but that I might die. Later I find out Dad quit flying in the Air Force at Mom's insistance. Dad convince's Mom I'm more apt to die racing my motorcycle than flying. Dad wins (again). Thanks (again) Dad.

Being a military dependant, I took lessons at an Air Force Base (Keesler) and they were cheap, cheap, cheap. An hour lesson in a Cessna 150 with instructor cost me $18 wet (wet meaning including gas) or $16 wet without instructor. That figure should floor some of you. Took my FAA check ride at 19.

Flew some in college when my roommate & I could scrape together some spare coins and split an hour on a Piper Arrow II. After college, I flew less & less as costs kept getting more & more and air space became more restricted/controlled.

I've got time in Cessna 150 & 152, Beech Bonanza, Beech Baron, Piper Cherokee Arrow II, Cessna 310, an hour in a Gulfstream III simulator and almost two whole hours in a F/A-18 simulator.

Kinda miss flying but don't regret not sticking with it. Like racing and several other things, I think I view it as just another item checked off on my "Things To Do Before I Die" list.

Like others here....any chance you get to go flying - DO IT!!!

Tom

ps: If any instructor ever asks you what the propeller is for, the correct answer is, "To keep you cool". Because if it stops turning - YOU SWEAT!!! 6.gif9.gif

I had my license for a short time, VFR only, until I decided I had no business flying airplanes. I'd always thought it would be fun, had a sort of dim idea about learning acrobatics. Didn't realize (a) the *HUGE* amount of dedication and preparation required to fly safely, and (B) I'm a lunatic.

For those that do fly... I was practicing check ride manuvers in a pretty old Cessna 152 (keep in mind I had, like, 50 hours in a 152 at the time...). I was doing accelerated stalls, having a blast. At about 5,000 ft I'd go into a steep left bank at vmax, pull back hard on the yoke, and see how tight a decending spiral I could get into before stall. Last time I tried it, I somehow managed to get the damn thing inverted (well, almost, anyway...), which was something my instructor had told me couldn't happen. Got all flooberated and couldn't recover. Engine started sputtering, which sort of added to the general freak out. Finally got the wings leveled and nose back up at about 1,200. Landed, taxied back to my spot, just switched off the ignition without going through any of the shut down procedures and drove home. Haven't flown (myself) since.

That's sort of the same reason I sold my Virago.

Its not just SAC bases you have to watch out for. I saw pictures of the aftermath of a guy accidentally landing at Palmdale (Skunk Works, Phantom Works and who knows what else, big hangers with several floors underground) instead of General Fox Field nearby some years ago. Two vehicles full of young men with M16s met the pilot about the time he realized he wasn't where he thought he was and explained that he was not going to fly the aircraft off the field. His response reportedly was something like "F*** you! I'm going to leave, now." They pulled out chain saws and cut the wings off his airplane.

For that matter, last time I heard, you really didn't want to land at any military base that isn't joint use without prior permission. At best, you will be required to provide proof of liability insurance for some large amount and get written permission before leaving. More likely, you will be required to truck it off. And that was before 9/11.

As far as the danger of flying in small planes goes, I've certainly come closer to getting killed more frequently when I've been in small planes that in large planes. It is really dicey around airports that have accelerated training for foreign nationals working on their commercial or ATP ratings.

Hmmm...I remember a friend coming back from a business trip on which he had a near midair collision. He said he reported to air traffic control. The conversation went something like this... Pilot: "LA Center. 1234J. I'd like to report a near midair collision." Center: "1234J, did you get the tail number?" Pilot: "No, but there was a beautiful, blond with blue eyes and diamond earrings in the right seat." Too close for me.

"They pulled out chain saws and cut the wings off his airplane."

LOL

At the time my cousin flew out of Offutt AFB and had his ID with him. Later he did a stint in warm, sunny, Minot ND(B-52s).

The plane had to be trucked out due to mechanical failure.

"My first flight was in a Beech Bonanza V35"

Didn't PWK own the 'doctor killer' too?