Do they still make the Klipschorn?

bongo4

Well... in fact I was just guessing. And then again... it isn´t all that hard to figure out, is it? Klipsch stopping the Production of the Klipschhorn is like Porsche stopping the Production of the 911.

I think it will never happen, as long as the company exists....

Nick

P.S.: Looks like I didn´t manage to trick anyone into leaking information! 9.gif

It took me six months to get my 2003 Klipschorns through a dealer in southern Delaware who no longer handles Heritage. Another dealer in Dover, DE, does, Sound of Tri State.

I paid $6500 for my '03 Khorns. A 2004 Belle ordered through Tri-State cost $2500.

At the Pilgrimage last year in Indy I asked how many new Klipschorns Klispch currently sells annually. The Klipsch rep was not very forthcoming (proprietary info, I guess), but I was left with the impression not more than a few dozen, if that.

Remarkable speaker, and a bargain at its price in comparison with ultra high end speakers, with which the Khorn fully holds its own performancewise.

Klipsch builds these to order. They do not really keep them in stock. It can typically take a month or more to get them depending on I would assume the dealer's relationship with Klipsch and production levels of the other lines of speakers at the time. I have a single La Scala on order and the lead time was roughly 4-6 weeks. I would assume that very few Khorns are built each year. The current Heritage line in general is doubtfully much of a money maker. There is a very small percentage of potential speaker buyers today that are interested in a man-sized, furniture-esque speaker that needs to be placed in the corner of a large room, regardless of how great it sounds. It is nice that Klipsch still sticks to its roots though. Most other companies would have dumped them.

----------------

On 8/23/2005 9:04:09 AM Anakin26 wrote:

Check out the Klipsch homepage -> Products -> Heritage -> Klipschhorn. The Klipschhorn is off course still in production... and I guess it will always be. It is the companies flagship.....

Or does anyone have different information?

Nick

----------------

You are correct. Available through any Heritage dealer. And even if they don't look like they sell Heritage, they can still probably order them. A simple inquiry from my dealer quoted me under $7k. They don't stock them anymore, but they're available anytime. My guess also is that Klipsch doesn't sell very many of them. At only a few dozen a year I can understand why it takes so long. Klipsch may take them on a build as you order basis!

Hi; I just talked to my dealer and I will be ordering a pair of new khorns in five months and there is a 90day wait,once a deposit is received! These retail at 15K plus taxes up here in Canada. Just to let you all know.

p.s. All current production khorns come with the "pie slice" logo. Later, Huck1.gif

My understanding is that Klipsch makes the Klipschorn (and Belle) to order. I believe the wood panels are computer-cut but everything else is done by hand. Which means that, in addition to the inherent difference in wood grains, each speaker is an "individual" in terms of fine handwork details.

In any event, when my '03 Khorns arrived after a six-month wait, great was my disappointment to see sloppy smeared glue around one of the "Klipsch" nameplates. What to do, return the expensive behemoth for that small defect and wait more months? With a needle, careful work and patience I was able to pry out and clean up and touch up with a tiny bit of flat black paint the dried glue, so you can't see the defect any more unless you put your eye right up to it and look hard. Otherwsie the speakers were, and are, MINT.

We do indeed manufacture Heritage models "to order". Our current target is two weeks from the time we receive the order From The Dealer till we ship to the dealer. I stress this because I know how painful it is to wait after placing the order. Each day seems like a week to paraphrase Steve Martin. This is quite a bit different than a couple of years ago when #1 we lost two of our best and longest tenured craftsmen to retirement and ill health. At that time, it took many weeks to produce Heritage models. Our factory is doing a great job these days with fairly quick production and great care in the process.

We sell a few hundred Khorns a year, more La Scalas and Heresys and not as many Belles. Europe and Asia are popular destinations for Heritage models.

Any Klipsch Reference dealer can order Heritage speakers. Almost none display them. Try as we may, we cannot get dealers to display Heritage or stock them. They just don't sell frequently enough to be economical and profitable for the retailer. If you have a dealer who DOES display Heritage, stop in and thank him every so often for he (or she) is among the rare dealers who focus on a great listening experience rather than only on the almighty $. We continue to work on alternate distribution approaches but have not found the answer.

My hat is off to forum members who work to share their passion for great sound and Heritage speakers with those who have never had the experience. We all remember the first time we heard Klipshorns. Not too many unforgettable experiences anymore.

----------------

On 8/25/2005 10:08:46 AM BobG wrote:

My hat is off to forum members who work to share their passion for great sound and Heritage speakers with those who have never had the experience. We all remember the first time we heard Klipshorns. Not too many unforgettable experiences anymore.

----------------

So true. My first time was nearly 30 years ago and I still remember how I felt when I heard them!

I don't have room or corners for them so I have a pair of cornwalls as my main 2ch speakers.

If we keep buying all the old heritage speakers and making HTs out of them people will be FORCED to buy new2.gif

I have 4 pair and some singles in the heritage line so I am trying to do my part to dry up the suppply of used heritage that is out there!3.gif

Klipschorns at a friends home is what got me started on Klipsch speakers. There were a zillion brands to choose from, but Klipsch was the only quality brand that I was familiar with.

I have a home theater without corners, so RF-7s are my best alternative. If I ever get corners, they will be filled with Khorns.

Bill

I've told this story here before but it was a few years ago so...

I managed a hi-fi store that opened in 1975. Was my second job selling audio. The first sale ever made when we opened the door was a pair of Khorns with a Crown IC-150 preamp and DC-150 power amp. Maybe not the best amp choice for the Klipsch but not a bad way to start a new store. We had a good run. That store just recently closed after several moves and a change in ownership.

----------------

On 8/25/2005 5:08:16 PM BobG wrote:

I've told this story here before but it was a few years ago so...

I managed a hi-fi store that opened in 1975. Was my second job selling audio. The first sale ever made when we opened the door was a pair of Khorns with a Crown IC-150 preamp and DC-150 power amp. Maybe not the best amp choice for the Klipsch but not a bad way to start a new store. We had a good run. That store just recently closed after several moves and a change in ownership.

----------------

I was building amps back in 1953 ( before hi-fi) and got a customer who wanted a decent system for his shiny new Klipschorn. I built a copy of the Williamson amp and a decent pre-amp and when I heard it, it blew me away. I had an RCA LC1B loudspeaker at the time that I thought was the best. I learned what Bass could sound like properly reproduced. Unfortunately it took me for various reasons untin 1976 before I became a Klipschorn owner.

I am still happy with them.