Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Aug 23

thebes

This week exscuse for posting late is that I have been plagued by screwed up internet service and literraly could not post yesterday.

The format's simple, name of artist/group, name of album, type of music (cd/lp etc.), and genre, rock classical, jazz etc. as best you can.

As usual I'll start it off with:

Clockwork Orange, soundtrack, cd, various music

I'm not a huge fan of most soundtracks because they are cluttered with music designed to move the plot or fill in spaces between scenes, and the same can be said for part of this soundtrack. However, the death of the inventor of the Moog synthesizer called this one to mind and I threw it on the changer. I just love how well the moog works with the Ludwig Betthoven's music. Wonderfull, and this cd is still widely available after all these years. Says something for the music and Mr. Moog's invention.

So what do you have to share?

Three for the MOOG!!!

-----------------------------

Kraftwerk, Computer World, CD

-----------------------------

Audio CD - October 25, 1990 - Elektra

Great CD. Yes "It's More Fun To Compute".

- a Sequential Circuits Prophet 5 synthesiser

- a Moog Minimoog synthesiser

- a Moog Polymoog synthesiser

- Texas Instruments Language Translator machine (for electronic voices, it has different language memory cards)

- Roland MC8 MicroComposer sequencer (although this was not used on any Kraftwerk records)

- Custom-built 32-step analogue sequencers by Matten & Wiechers

- Texas Instruments Pocket Translator

- Dubreq Stylophone (this is a small handheld 'synth' made in the 1960s, which operated via a stylus touching a metal keyboard, the original versions could not switch octaves; for the sounds of Pocket Calculator)

- Mattel BEEGEE mini keyboard

The calculator used to make sounds in the song Pocket Calculator was probably the Casio FX-501b. Some of the other sounds on this track were made using a

Mattel Bee Gees Rhythm Machine, a battery-powered keyboard released in 1978.

A Friendchip "Mr. Lab" unit (aka "Music and Rhythm Laboratory") was used on the 1981 album Computer World. This offered TR808-style rhythm programming and a TB303-style miniature keyboard that allowed the programming of sequencer patterns

1. Computer World

2. Pocket Calculator

3. Numbers

4. Computer World2

5. Computer Love

6. Home Computer

7. It's More Fun To Compute

---------------------------------------------------

Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, CD

---------------------------------------------------

1970 Rhino

Audio CD: May 21, 1996

Keith Emerson at the controls of the Moog synthesizer and the Hammond B3 organ.

"Lucky Man" is one Moog song that will last from generation to generation.

1. Barbarian

2. Take a Pebble

3. Knife Edge

4. Three Fates: Clotho/Lachesis/Atropos

5. Tank

6. Lucky Man

In 1986 Emerson is still playing the Moog with the now "Emerson, Lake And Powell". The song "Touch And Go" is strong and forcefull... I love it!

------------------------------------------------

Rick Wakeman, Journey to the Center of the Earth

------------------------------------------------

THE MOOG MASTER!

Audio CD: October 25, 1990 - A&M

Journey to the Center of the Earth is one of progressive rock's crowning achievements. With the help of the London Symphony Orchestra and the English Chamber Choir, Wakeman turns this classic Jules Verne tale into an exciting and suspenseful instrumental narrative. The story is told by David Hemmings in between the use of Wakeman's keyboards, especially the powerful Hammond organ and the innovative Moog synthesizer, and when coupled with the prestigious sound of the orchestra, creates the album's fairytale-like climate. Recorded at London's Royal Festival Hall, the tale of a group of explorers who wander into the fantastic living world that exists in the Earth's core is told musically through Wakeman's synthesized theatrics and enriched by the haunting vocals of a chamber choir. Broken into four parts, the album's most riveting piece entitled "The Battle" involves Wakeman's most furious synthesized attack, churning and swirling the keyboards into a mass instrumental hysteria. With both "The Journey" and "The Forest," it's the effective use of the strings and percussion section of the London Symphony Orchestra that causes the elements of fantasy and myth to emerge from the album's depths.

1. The Journey/Recollection

2. The Battle/The Forest

Journey to the Center of the Earth by Rick Wakeman was one of the 1st Reel-to-Reel running masters I owned which was released in that format back in the year 1974 if memory serves me correctly!

Rick Wakeman will always be the MOOG Master.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Greg

tubularbells.jpg

"Tubular Bells" 1973 - Mike Oldfield

From the "Clockwork Orange" era and more than just the theme for the "Exorcist". It was always great accompaniment music for a variety of illegal and/or immoral activities. I wore out my LP a long time ago and recently got the CD. No Moog, just a lengthy list of instruments and studio mixing. Still amazing. Check the link.

Tubular Bells

To continue with one of the above directions, or at least a tangent, I recommend King Crimson "In the Court of the Crimson King;" originally issued in 1969; I don't know which reissue/remaster CD I have (ripped from a friend's). This (first?) incarnation of KC features Greg Lake (later of ELP) on bass and vocals, and I think I like the combination better than any other KC or ELP efforts.

I do like current/recent King Crimson, however, and will also recommend the 2003 title "The Power to Believe." Robert Fripp has kept to his signature style after all these years, along with collaborator Adrien Belew, and still sounds great.

sputnik: "Tubular Bells" 1973 - Mike Oldfield

Great pick....

On keyboard was non other than "Rick Wakeman".

From your link:

"Lindsay Cooper - British double bass, cello and tuba player, once active in the jazz scenes of London and Edinburgh. Linsay played with the Strawbs (first on cello, later on bass), alongside keyboard player Rick Wakeman. Lindsay Cooper sadly died in 2001. Not the same person as the female Lindsay Cooper who played on Hergest Ridge."

Like I said... Rick Wakeman rules!

Greg

My pick is Telarc's "The Great Fantasy Adventure Album" with selections performed by Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra.

Dynamic recordings of various sci-fi/fantasy films such as El Cid, Hook, Jurassic Park, Robin Hood, The Abyss, The Princess Bride, The Hunt for Red October, and Terminator.

Tracks 3 and 21 feature a T-Rex attack which will pummel your subwoofer! I scared the heck out of my nephews and niece playing it for them once.6.gif

Track 6, 'Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves Main Title' will make you proud to be a Klipsch owner. Open, detailed treble and a few chest pounding and wall shaking drum hits.

Tracks 19 and 20 are back to back and will give any Terminator fan a jaunt down Robots Take Over The World lane.

I've owned this disc for about 10 years and must say I have never appreciated it as much as I have with my RF speakers.

Beautifuly well written Mssr Grog. I'm a great lover of Rick Wakeman and Keith Emerson. Have a Yamaha Mini-Moog copy in my home as we speak, really should fiddle with that some more.

A couple of fave Wakeman albums (and I say albums because yes, I own them on vinyl as well as CD). The Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. Also Six Wives of Henry the Eighth. More classic synth-rock from Rick and his rock orchestra. Sweeping landscapes, beautiful scores, arpeggios galore. Rick has the perfect right hand in all these beautiful works.

Now, where's my gold lame cape?

RIP Dr. Robert Moog

Michael

Here is a really ecclectic mix of some of my favorite albums. Check out

some sound bites on Amazon, WinMX, Allofmp3 or your favorite music stop.

Matt Bianco - Matt's Mood - pop/jazz

Dave Brubeck - Time Out - jazz

Patricia Barber - Modern Cool - female vocal jazz

Stan Getz and Joao Gilberto - Getz/Gilberto - jazz

Stan Getz - Jazz Samba - brazilian/jazz

Brian Bromberg - Wood - fusion/jazz

Ottmar Liebert - Nouveau Flamenco - latin

Yo-Yo Ma - Simply Baroque II - classical

Madeleine Peyroux - Careless Love - female vocal jazz

Loreena McKennitt - The Mask and Mirror - Celtic

Muddy Waters - Folk Singer - blues