FANTASTIC

for more detail than that...2.gif

lets talk about the Music that was used as a reference for comparison--

Anderson, Wakeman, Bruford, Howe

....prog , i guess , if you need a label

Busy,congested mix- lot's going on ...Synth, Chimes, heavy Bass , Piano

Adam Holzman

..... jazz+fusion

clean open mix ....,Keys of all types, Synth, Hammond, Piano,close mik'ing on the drums, Bass / rotosound strings, Sax, Vibes, Chimes

after you get to a certain level in equipment, the differences are small in detail....

well, actually, they are small details ...

you find a great preamp will resolve details that pertain certain instruments, like ....

the attack of the "Percussion" Drawbar on a Hammond B-3

...the decay on Reverb- long, the decay of Woodwinds- short

...Splash on a Cymbol

..."ssshhht" of Brushes on a High hat

...Head "slap" on the Kick Drum

...the attack, and resonance of a grand piano

...the "woody" sound of Vibes

...woodwind details, like breath fluttering on say, a flute, lip action on a Sax

Wow..! does the Merlin ever deliver ! ! !

here's the Signal Chain for this review

Audio Alchemy transport > A. A. DAC > Merlin > Crown MX crossover 2/way > Crown K-2 bass amp / Pro-Valve 6L6 based mid/high amp > JBL 4430

The MERLIN delivered ..

a huge 3-D image

Taunt, well defined bass

slighly recessed mids, maybe the voicing, the tube, equipment interaction ??

excellent resolution of the aforemention "details"

an unobtrusive high register with nice sparkle

i tested this A/B next to my $2500 Pre-amp...

the Merlin gave litle away, and produced a more expansive Soundstage..

what a FANTASTIC job it did ...maybe Mark should raise the price...!.. a LOT .!

more specific's if you've read this far , you want to know ...

A,W,B,H

Merlin absolutely shown it's mettle with this busy, busy mix...

instruments were clearly defined, like heavy Bass, Kick Drum, and Synth..all fighting for room in the lower register

there is a lot of thin, bright high end to this recording

Merlin reproduced this , without becoming harsh, or overly obtrusive..1.gif

Adam Holzman

Merlin came thru here too ....more detail oriented, open mix

sweet Vibes, nice Decay, Huge impact on the Kick , and bass lines

tang, ching, splash on the cymbols, again with the all important decay ..

Sax attack ! Sax growl ..! ..

i have to say ... the Merlin is much more than i expected..

Great Product, Mark....

9.gif

Man all this talk is making me want to dump the HT thing for a 3 channel tubed rig with a Peach and three VRD's. I don't do vinyl or else I would get the Blueberry Xtreme-Cream. Does the Peach have a center channel and subwoofer output? It need not have a crossover just an output for the subwoofer.

You guys are a BAD influence!

----------------

On 8/25/2005 2:14:28 PM Daddy Dee wrote:

Frozen,

The Peach has L and R main outs. You could certainly use RCA Y cables to get signal to the sub and a PWK mini box to get the derived center to your third VRD.

----------------

Mark has mentioned how many times you can split the signal without deterioration. I can vouch for that. On my right channel main out, I have the signal split three ways: (Marantz tube amp, Rotel amp and rear Dynaco tube amp). On my left channel main out, I have the signal split four ways: (Marantz tube amp, Rotel amp, rear Dynaco tube amp and sub). No deterioration despite the splits.

The Peach does not have more outputs, but it does have the HT bypass, which is invaluable for incorporating it into a HT system (using your mains for both 2-channel and HT).

Duke, glad you liked it. Now, you see what we have been raving about.

Carl.

----------------

On 8/25/2005 2:06:44 PM Frzninvt wrote:

Man all this talk is making me want to dump the HT thing for a 3 channel tubed rig with a Peach and three VRD's. I don't do vinyl or else I would get the Blueberry Xtreme-Cream. Does the Peach have a center channel and subwoofer output? It need not have a crossover just an output for the subwoofer.

You guys are a BAD influence!

----------------

FRZN one thing I believe the Peach and Blueberry both have is an HT pass through. I have heard both the Peach and Blueberry Extreme with VRD's. An absolutely fantastic combo no matter which way you go. If I did not have so many Irons in the fire right now and had a surplus of disposable income I would drive VRD's all the way around for my HT with a good Pre/Pro and get a Blueberry for two channel use with the passthrough.

I stuck this on the bottom of James' talk about the Merlin, but here goes here:

Still have the Merlin in the bedroom office.

Switched out the Alesis power amp and set up my Dynaco ST-70, rebuilt with a Curcio Audio upgrade board with 3 JAN/Phillips 6922 tubes in it. Also has the P.S. upgrade and a replacement power tranny from Uncle Ned (that is one heavey sucker!). This is powering the Heresy IIs.

Still feeding the PC to it at the moment. I let everything warm up for probably 15 minutes before sending any music to it. Mainly because I got sidetracked.

Put in one of my favorite CDs-- David "Fathead" Newman/ Mr. Gentle Mr. Cool, a tribute to Duke Ellington.

Biggest impression (again) is the imaging is rock solid. These guys are IN the room, and you can place them across the soundstage. Changing the gain on the Merlin only makes it louder or softer. The eq doesn't change a bit. That stupid line "straight wire with gain" comes to mind, but hey, it seems to be that way even if it isn't true.

I'm still impressed with how cool this runs. I think I have had a pocket watch get warmer than this. Like the 8 ft. long power cord too. What else can I say. Very quiet (does it actually make any noise?).

I love the looks as well. (gush... gush...)

And it isn't just because someone on the forum made it either.

Great job Mark. If the other models are as nice as this (and users seem to think so), you have designed something really special.

Bruce

----------------

On 8/25/2005 6:29:55 PM Marvel wrote:

If the other models are as nice as this (and users seem to think so), you have designed something really special.

Bruce

----------------

They better be!2.gif

Glad to hear everyone enjoying their new toys. Mark certainly hit a home run with his line of preamps. Now just waiting impatiently for some juicy watts to arrive.4.gif