Good CD Player..

audiobliss69

If you're able to give something unconventional

an open-minded try, the Toshiba is a good suggestion. An even

cheaper and equally outstanding player is the Toshiba 3960/3980 DVD

player. 3980's are currently available at your local big box retailer

for $59.00.

Interesting!

Someone on anothe forum suggested the same model and provided this link for mods:

http://www.referenceaudiomods.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Tosh_3960&Category_Code=MODS

Something to consider! Thanks!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also, the Toshiba SD3980 is only

C$79.99 with free shipping from Future Shop (C$10 off until sept

15th). Doesn't cost too much to try it! Wish I had a Future

Shop close to me because I have a $100 gift card for them in my wallet

(whic I can't cash in using the web store).

Pauln I think most people do not want to go thru the hassle of replacing their cd collection.

Some may not have heard vinly before and not realize it can sound incredible.

My best friend use to dj at parties with vinly and La Scalas that sounded fantastic.

But I also remember hearing cds for the first time and the 3 things I remember is no pops, hiss, and the convience of them. That was back in 1982 and the quality of cd players and SACD, DVD Audio, and much better recording capabilities has improved.

It was not so much cds sounded better but mainly the convienence is why they replaced vinly. The majority of people do not spend more than $500 for their whole system and did not hear any real difference in sound quality between vinly and cds. Vinly takes up almost 4 times the space that cds do.

You ever try to pop a vinly record into the car record player while driving, it never happened that is why cassettes were so popular and almost replaced vinly they were small, easy to use. After cassettes came out is when you started seeing boom boxes, convienence. Then CDs came out and CDRW on the computer replaced the cassette.

I know people that buy new cds save them to their hard drive and then resell the new cd for a small loss or just borrow a cd and save it to their hard drive. Then they can make cds with whatever songs on it they want. I have many cds that I may only like 2 or 3 songs on it. So I can take 2 or 3 songs from 5 cds and burn them onto a cdrw in the order I want the songs to be in, convienence.

It has been almost ten years since I have heard vinly thru La Scalas and you are right vinly can sound incredible. But unless the record players today have gotten rid of the pops and hiss I don't see myself trying vinly again. Sure I would like to hear vinly on your system just to know how much of the negative aspects(negative to my ears) of vinly are still there or not.

Unless vinly today has been reduced to the size of cds and be used in a cd player people will not use them it's all about convienence.

Xman

Apart from the surface noise, vinyl also suffers from obligatory the RIAA compression and EQ. Not ideal for highly dynamic recordings and ironically it goes against the theory of a simple signal path... [:#]

In any case, I don't think Peter is looking to a new vinyl setup as an alternative to his CD quest...

Rob

• 2 weeks later...

There a used Sony DVP-NS999ES DVD/SACD player available for

C$500. Is it a mistake to buy this as a CD player? I'd love

to get SACD capability as a bonus if Red Book playback is as good as,

say, a Nad C542 or Rotel RCD-02 (neither of which I have ever heard).

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got the Rotel RCD-02 this weekend and got it hooked up

yesterday. A review might follow. So far I love the

autority of the drawer operation; nothing flimsy about that! It's

a quiet unit which is a nice change from my DVD player, and I think I'm

hearing lots of nicely imaged low-level details I hadn't heard

before. But haven't done a A/B compairison against my old

DVD player yet to confirm this. So far I like it quite a bit!

I give my nod to the rotel rcd-1072. I can't wait to pair it with separates. It's a little pricy, and i actually was going to get the rcd-02, but the 1072 is the reference player from rotel and one heck of a machine. Almost 13 lbs. it weighs. Read absolute sound's review of this player. A good source for hi end hifi. They pair it with goldmund electronics, which cost from $15000 to like $30000. This $700 cd player performs very well, if not excellent with this equipment which is something because with that expensive of amps and preamps, not every cd player at this price or even ten times the price could be able to perform with outstanding results. Read the review though.

Sony CDP-D11
Professional Rackmount CD Player

google_ad_client = "pub-9199590482707901";

google_alternate_color = "FFFFFF";

google_ad_width = 336;

google_ad_height = 280;

google_ad_format = "336x280_as";

google_ad_type = "text";

google_ad_channel ="1453359089";

google_color_border = "000000";

google_color_bg = "000000";

google_color_link = "66CCFF";

google_color_url = "CCCCCC";

google_color_text = "FFFFFF";

//-->

Sony CDP-D11 - Professional Rackmount CD Player

The Sony CDP-D11 is the world's first 1U rackmounting CD player. It is designed for commercial & professional applications, such as recording studios, theatres and A/V presentations. The up-to-date design features include instant start of tracks, a wired remote, RS-232C & programmable parallel remote control. Audio outputs are both on balanced XLR and phono connectors. Coaxial & optical digital outputs are provided. Superb audio performance is guaranteed thanks to the High Density linear Digital to Analogue converters.

A special "fader play" mode is provided on the parallel interface to automatically play tracks in order as the fader start switch is opened and closed. The slot-in loading mechanism (adapted from the top-of-the-range CDX-880R in-car unit) is designed for high reliability & shock resistance, and a 3 second Advanced ESP anti-shock memory is also standard.

Finally got the Rotel RCD-02 this weekend and got it

hooked up yesterday. A review might follow.

That's great... I've heard good things about it although i

haven't auditioned one myself. It would be nice if you got around

to doing an A/B to see where the differences really are.

My girlfriend had volunteered to turn my A/B tests into a semi blind

one, so that I could prove if there really was "any" difference.

Even after my high score, I'd still describe the differences as subtle.

Rob

PS: funny how you are still getting recommendations after you've actually bought a unit