KHorn product upgrade history?

mr-b

Does anyone know which upgrades have occurred over the years?

I'm interested to know what the differences are between 5/10/20 etc.

year old KHorns, and also whether ppl have experienced any degradation

of components over the years.

I did some searching and found some details of a major crossover &

horn unit upgrade a couple of years ago but not much else.

Gee this new software makes searching tough.

A few months ago I'd posted an article from VTV which lists changes to the K-Horn over the years. It is well worth reading for the information.

Now the search function does not allow me to find it. Perhaps someone can give you a date of post, or they may have downloaded and will post it again. It is in Technical Questions.

There was a post 2000 change in the X-Over to the AK-4. x-over. A lot of us would love to be left in a room with one and testing equipment to determine what is inside. The facory is not making the info available.

It is my position that changes since 1948 (yes) are not so large that anyone should worry.. The qualities of horn loading dominate the sound more than the many changes. But eveyone has a favorite, nonetheless.

There are many good folks here who point out that old capacitors in the crossovers have degraded over time. It is hard to argue the possiblity.. There is also the argument that caps of newer design work better even if they are both fresh from the factory. I keep an open mind; a little.

This war is fought on many battlefields. I believe that hotrodding and tinkering is beneficial, fun, and ultimately a part of the human intellect. Whether any given mod to the K-Horn really results in "better" sound is an ongoing debate.

Best,

Gil

The VTV Klipsch article is OK to a point.

The JBL 130/2220 is a poor choice for the Klipschorn. JBL made a version of this driver for their cornerhorn, it was called the 150-4C. It used the same frame and magnet assembley with a stiffer straight-sided cone, with a spacer ring on the frame (because the new cone was deeper). Their later horn speaker was the Paragon, it used the LE15/2215. It had a much larger underhung magnetic assembly (like an Altec 515) and more cone travel. The K145 used this same magnet assembley. CAR used this driver in their Hartsfield (JBL cornerhorn) reproductions, later switching to the newer E145 version. The E145 was sold in Japan as the 150-4H, an obvious tie-in to the classic 150-4C. An E140 with the aluminum dust cap replace by a paper one would be my second choice in a JBL woofer, followed by the 2205. CAR currently usees a TAD driver that was designed by the JBL engineer that designed the JBL LE series drivers (it is quite expensive).

The only K55 needing the 'P' trap is the push button version of the K55V. The solder terminal version, and the EV version (K55M) don't need it.

The smaller magnet T35 is 'sweeter' (if you consider less output and less high end to be such).

What a great read thanks for reposting! If you have anymore please share. I'd love to have a Brook 2A3 amp seems PWK was happy with 10watts.

YES! 2A3 push pull amp sounds great with Khorns. It will be very hard to find a Brook 2A3 but you might want to try one like this or similar models by them!

mike[:D]

post-14473-13819269745934_thumb.jpg