Anyone own JBL L300s?

Dylanl

I have never owned them but a friend'sfather owns several pairs. I have heard them on many occasions. They are a DAMN GOOD speaker. A very different type of sound than horn loaded speakers, but I'd definitely own a pair myself. Trouble is they are WAY more coveted than Heritage Klipsch and command big bucks on eBay and Audiogon. Collectors absolutely love them. The L100 Century is a nice speaker too if you can find a pair in good condition. They are much better sounding than a Heresy IMO.

If you have where would you rate them in sound quality to the heritage KLipsch speakers?

I purchased some L250's back in the early 80's for my parents. They are beautiful speakers, finished in Teak and sound excellent. My parents still have them, but I don't listen to them that much when I go home to visit. Use to be, I would crank'em up with Zeplin or ACDC whenever the folks went out of town.

Anyway, soundwise, they are as near or on par with any of the Heritage IMHO, except maybe the Khorn, I'd have to give the nod to the Khorn. They do more than just edge out the JBL's. But, because of the Ti tweeters in the L250's, they do sound a bit harsh as I recall. But if the L300's are as good or better than the L250's, I just can't see how any one could regrett buying them. The JBL L250's is an excellent all around loud speaker.

Gilbert, you should have picked up the matching B-460 JBL 18" Subwoofer to go with those beauties! I have seen them a couple of times in your folks house and they are pretty. They were never playing though. You just had the woofers refoamed recently didn't you. I assume you got those from Peter at Audio Systems in Laredo. Another issue with the vintage JBL's is the woofer surrounds disintegrating.

I had the B-380 Subwoofer and matching BX-63A crossover with a pair of Klipsch Forte's for years. I thought the Ti Series of speakers was very, very nice.

I think JBL would be my next favorite speaker line behind Klipsch. The L-300's usually draw big $$$ I thought they were the short stubby ones. Anyone have a photo? Don't they have the directional vanes over the midrange and glass tops?

They were never playing though. You just had the woofers refoamed recently didn't you. I assume you got those from Peter at Audio Systems in Laredo.

No, your right there, the folks rarely played them. Only my father, and that was maybe less than a dozen times a year. And yes, I took the woof's to an audio shop in San Antonio to get them overhauled. But the speakers didn't come from Pirita's. He was one money hungry fagg, and was infamous for screwing everyone, even family. The JBL's came from this really cool audio store in College Station. I use to go there every chance I had to drool. The Carver and Naka gear came from another store in Houston.

But they really are good speakers, and I loved it when ever I got to give'em a work out.

They were never playing though. You just had the woofers refoamed recently didn't you. I assume you got those from Peter at Audio Systems in Laredo.

No, your right there, the folks rarely played them. Only my father, and that was maybe less than a dozen times a year. And yes, I took the woof's to an audio shop in San Antonio to get them overhauled. But the speakers didn't come from Pirita's. He was one money hungry fagg, and was infamous for screwing everyone, even family. The JBL's came from this really cool audio store in College Station. I use to go there every chance I had to drool. The Carver and Naka gear came from another store in Houston.

But they really are good speakers, and I loved it when ever I got to give'em a work out.

Are they for sale??? If so I would be interested

Steve

The altecs are great. I mean it, right up there with the Khorns. If I upgraded the crossovers on the 19s like I have done with my Khorns look out Khorn.

So, this procees is what brings me to the JBL L300. How would it stand up to what I already have and heard?

Thanks guys, I am not ready to pull the trigger yet but will be on the hunt if you all think it is worthy prey[:D]

Nice looking set on Ebay right now. Item #5803674509. Not sure how the current pricing on this pair shakes out as I am not familiar with resale value of vintage JBL products. I took a serious look at this speaker back in, oh I don't know, maybe '77, '78 or so but wound up going with a brand new pair of La Scalas. LSBR's, $1118.25 out the door[:)]. I would still like to have a set of the L300's someday, I think they flat kick some butt and they look intimidating as Hell.