At what levels do you guys listen to???

RAPTORMAN

Slow C on ratshack, I find about 60-65db quite pleasing. I like to be able to pick up phone or hold conversation without screaming above the music. Maybe my meter is off. At top volume on the Cornwalls, with Yammie at like +5, it does show like 120 db though.

Is there any way to calibrate these thing?

Michael

I perceive 100db to be too loud, 90db to be loud, 80 db to be turned up (and normally the loudest I play..maybe 85), and 70 db to be typical.

The recordings make a big impact in how fatiguing the 80+ db sound is to me.

I was never happy with my Cornwalls and tubes or SS above 80db for music....the treble just sounded "spitting in your face" loud. The pounding bass was kinda fun though. The quality of the source and the material does vary the experience...top recordings can play louder.

A lot of this may also be my closed 20 x 16' room without wall treatments.

Am I a wimp? Is my meter off? I can't believe you guys normally listen at 85-90 db! How can I check my meter? If I put my Yamaha receiver at -20 for movies, it's about as loud as I want.

Michael

Yes Michael - we both are, but:

1. One of the major determining factors on chosen music volume level is the background noise level. In the car I tend to listen louder because I have to if I want to hear anything over the noise of the traffic. Similarly I tend to listen louder during the day at home than I do at night.

2. I am not at all sure we are all measuring the same thing. My measurement, and I guess yours, is at the listening position. some here could well be measuring (properly) at 1 meter distance. Also bare in mind that some are quoting C weighting, some A weighting and it can make a big difference.

3. The vast majority of my listening is to classical music and opera. In the main these do not need huge volumes to come across well. When I listen to Rock I listen louder - it is part and parcel of the music experience.

4. People are competitive and some like bigger numbers. Asking them what volume level they listen to will yield a similar level of accuracy as asking for penis size measurements.

5. Blaming your meter is perfectly reasonable (like blaming the tape measure!!). 65-70 dB is conversational level - if your music appears to be louder than that to you then your meter may well be slightly off - but I would be surprised if it is more than 3dB out.

I listen to regular music at 115 dB and Bass music at 126 dB. My dream wish is to break 180 dB

***********************************************************************************************************

Dude--I'm not an expert on this field, but I think your listening levels should shred your bodyparts into pieces literally. So, what your saying here---NOT TRUE.