New Crossover for Cornwall II

BEC

This is just to check on interest in a completely new build of the Cornwall II crossover. I thought I would ask before investing the money to have the inductors built. My idea is to build it like the older Cornwall crossovers with a terminal strip to connect the driver wires to and better parts to stay in spec longer. I have attached a picture of what the crossover in the Cornwall II looks like now.

Bob Crites

post-9312-13819269702788_thumb.jpg

Dean,

I have been rebuilding them. Just think a completely new one is best in the case of the Cornwall II. That speaker deserves better than it got.

I am sure the inductors would be available somewhere. I just like UT to build them to Klisph specs for me. How did you know the right attenuation? I had to measure that oddball autotransformer.

Bob Crites

I have them send the original networks and I strip the autotransformers. I've only done three sets -- amazing to me considering how many out there use them and how pathetic the networks are. This of course makes me wonder why you would want to have anything built to "Klipsch specs":) I don't get the 3mH ferrite bobbin for the K-33 at all, I wouldn't even bother to have it wound. The Erse iron core is a better part and the DCR is dead on.

Bob,

My experiend with Cornwall networks says that you will need to keep the price down. I built a grand total of 11 set for the original Cornwall. Since I turned the design over to Dean, I think he has only built 2 more sets. The price was too high for the speaker to offer a top quality redesign network for them. You may be able to do it just rebuilding them using the same parts.

AL K.

I have them send the original networks and I strip the autotransformers. I've only done three sets -- amazing to me considering how many out there use them and how pathetic the networks are. This of course makes me wonder why you would want to have anything built to "Klipsch specs":) I don't get the 3mH ferrite bobbin for the K-33 at all, I wouldn't even bother to have it wound. The Erse iron core is a better part and the DCR is dead on.

Dean,

I have rebuilt several sets of the Cornwall II crossovers. The parts and construction of that crossover certainly do not exude an image of quality. What I see there is decent engineering but implementation of that engineering at the lowest possible cost.

What I meant by "Klipsch specs" is built the way that Paul Klipsch instructed Chris at UT to build the parts. The Cornwall II deserves a better built crossover than the one it shipped with. That better built crossover using parts many times as good as the original still does not have to be very expensive. It would sell for a few bucks more than the Type B that I build now.

Bob

Very nice work, professionally laid out. You should have used the much nicer spade lugs from Parts Express instead of those automotive ones. Part number 095-672, I know everyone is a critic! I bet it made a big difference in the overall response from the original network parts.

Very nice work, professionally laid out. You should have used the much nicer spade lugs from Parts Express instead of those automotive ones. Part number 095-672, I know everyone is a critic! I bet it made a big difference in the overall response from the original network parts.

the only way it would make a difference in response is if the esr values from the caps and inductors dcr vary from the original design. which they may very well be. i have no idea what was spec'd out, i just laid out the parts and wired it up. the automotive spade lugs are all i buy so i can pick them up at lowes or wherever easily available. although i have purchased some lugs from parts express before, i thought they looked identical.