Poll: Who thinks polls should be banned from the forums?

maxg

To quote from my own "ball elimination" poll:

"I can see right now (just from my own poll concerning post ratio balls) how the addition of adding polls to these forums can be downright detrimental to their integrity and to some of its members."

If abused, I can see how using polls can be the downfall to many a good thread that turns ugly, or to hurt the reputaion of many (if not all) of Klipsch's forum members. I think we'd be better off doing away with polls altogether. I started my "ball" poll just for $hits and Giggles and to have some fun, and then it started turning political. That was NOT my intent, so it can be very easy for these polls to totally get out of hand.

I think once the novelty wears off, we'll find a real use for them.

For instance, instead of asking a multi-part complex system-building question and then sifting through the responses, a member might ask something like:

I'm trying to upgrade my two-channel system for HT use 5.1 or 7.1 channels.I have $3500 available, of which $1000 is pegged for a new receiver. I currently have a pair RB 5 speakers. Should I:

Buy a RC7 and RF35's and move my RB5 to rear duty

Buy a RC35 and two sets of RS3's for 7 ch surround

Buy any center and surrounds and a sub, forego extra 2 ch for now.

Something like that. Or poll on various mfg's of recievers, DVD players etc.

Give it some time, some good will surely develop.

Michael

How about someone taking a marketing survey course and simply learning how to construct a valid survey that does not lead answers or force others into choices that do not encompass the full range of reasonable options!

Oh, wait! Then they might come dangerously close to resulting in a valid survey!![:P][:o][:D]

Never mind! I wasn't thinking...

How about someone taking

a marketing survey course and simply learning how to construct a valid

survey that does not lead answers or force others into choices that do

not encompass the full range of reasonable options!

Great idea! And since you thought of it, you can go first!

How about someone taking a marketing survey course and simply learning how to construct a valid survey that does not lead answers or force others into choices that do not encompass the full range of reasonable options!

Great idea! And since you thought of it, you can go first!

[:D] The irony is that I have! That's why I suggested it to those who are so intent on creating them! And boy, what fun!![:P]

Now, if someone could just come up with a real need for a survey or poll![:D]

And we are such nice folks. Why Max? [:)]

We are indeed Stan - but worrying that almost as many people want to ban Neo as these polls.

Overall I think they could add some interesting aspects to the forum if used for audio discussions as Dean mentioned rather than for other issues - especially political ones.

On the ACA forum, which I frequent from time to time they use them alot with some interesting results - but the posting population over there is rather small so the results get massively skewed with individual votes.

Obviously this poll was entirely tongue in cheek (hopefully obviously) and mainly aimed at me figuring out how they work.

I think some guidelines on acceptable poll practice are in order....