Cornwalls up and running!

Weiming

Hi all!

Just wanted to share my joy smile.gif Finally got my Cornwall Is that arrived DOA up and running! Did the repairs to the crossovers after UPS came, took pictures and I received written permission to repair the speakers.

Man...the sound of these speakers are unbelievable! They are so dynamic! I can't wait to run them with my Bottlehead Paraglows with cobalt output trannies when I finish them! Currently running them through a YBA power amp with a Bottlehead Foreplay. Source is a Technics SP-25 TT. Listening to Rick Ashley at the moment and I feel as if I am having a private concert with him! OK, enough raving and ranting now...back to the music!

Glad to be finally a proud owner of a legendary pair of Klipsch speakers after my many months of lurking!

Weiming.

I'm also interested in your SP-25 table. I've got an SP-10 that has been in storage for years. Why? Because I broke one of the hair-thin leads coming out of the SME 3009 arm when changing a cartridge. Rather than take it to a solder-head to make the repair, I put it away and brought out my Rega Planar 3. Anyway, I think the SP-10/SME sounds noticeably better than the Rega setup. My audiophile friends think my ears are stuck. Oh well. I know good sound when I hear it and i pay no attention to audiophile nonsense blather!

Anyway, I know the 25 & 10 are similar. Any comments, tips, warnings...??

Hi mdeneen,

They haven't compensated me yet as investigations are still ongoing. I think they might be trying to shift blame to the packing company smile.gif

My Cornwall Is were built in 1981 and bear the serial numbers 29W671/2. Bought it from one of the members here, a cpurvis.

Only caveat is that these speakers are really HUUUGE. Most of my walking space behind my system is taken up by them. They dwarf even my 29" TV!

Weiming.

quote:

Originally posted by mdeneen:

Hey - congrats! Sounds like a fantastic rig you got there. Did UPS give you any money as compensation?

What age your your Cornwalls?

mdeneen

Hey joemcten,

Thanks...I am finally qualified to post here smile.gif

Regarding the Bottlehead pre, I finished it only a week ago (built it together with my girlfriend) and truth be told, except for a noisey tube which was sent to me and the particular power up sequence one has to follow, the little pre smoked my french-made $$$ SS pre-amp in every department except for construction(it uses an all aluminium brushed casing) and flexibility(inputs galore, balanced in/out, headphone input, remote control). I now believe that simple is better and you can't get any simpler than the Foreplay. Circuit is incredibly easy so you can actually tweak to your heart's content to achieve the sound you want. Also, the support forum there reminds me of the Klipsch forum. Not many manufacturers have this outlet for interaction between their customers. For US$99, you just can't lose.

Weiming.

quote:

Originally posted by joemcten:

Congrats on the Cornwalls and welcome to the fold. What do you think of your Bottlehead pre? I will be interested in hearing the report on your Bottlehead mono's. Keep us posted. Joe

Hey TheEvan,

I have never used a SME 3009 before, so I can't comment on the repair, but I think it should be no problem. You are referring to the headshell leads correct? If you do not wish to repair and decide to purchase new, Music Direct (www.amusicdirect.com) do sell these 4 coloured leads. The SP-10 is a real monster of a TT. I think there was a report on it many years back when it was released that it could actually support the weight of a man while spinning. Is yours the SP-10 MK II with the external power supply? If you perceive that the SP-10/SME combo is much better than your Rega, you should get it fixed smile.gif

The SP-25 is the smallest in the SP family. You can find out more about these TTs at

http://mark.kouts.home.mindspring.com/turntables/turntables.html

Only problem I can see is that Technics no longer makes any spare parts for these TTs. But they are solidly built and with a service manual, one can do repairs easily.

My TT setup is a Shure Vx15VMR MM cartridge attached to a Technics EPA-500 tonearm. With this setup, my CD collection is just collecting dust while my LP collection is constantly growing smile.gif

Hope this helps!

Weiming.

quote:

Originally posted by TheEvan:

I'm also interested in your SP-25 table. I've got an SP-10 that has been in storage for years. Why? Because I broke one of the hair-thin leads coming out of the SME 3009 arm when changing a cartridge. Rather than take it to a solder-head to make the repair, I put it away and brought out my Rega Planar 3. Anyway, I think the SP-10/SME sounds noticeably better than the Rega setup. My audiophile friends think my ears are stuck. Oh well. I know good sound when I hear it and i pay no attention to audiophile nonsense blather!

Anyway, I know the 25 & 10 are similar. Any comments, tips, warnings...??

• 4 years later...

Weiming,

Congratulations on the Cornwalls. I am sorry that you had some problems with the shipping, but it sounds like you are back on track.

Yes, they are a bit bigger once you get them inside your room. However, I would encourage you to experiment a bit with the speaker placement. Sometimes, even moving them only several inches relative to various walls can positively impact the sound.

Good Luck,

-Tom