Why 1500 for the verts on ebay

smilin

Michael, Allan Songer has a pair of '64's as well I don't know the S/N's though.

P.S. Your's are '63's so you are in the top four still. "B" = 1963

The reason that I am speculating that these are older than '63, maybe '64 and closer to '65 is the absence of the chrome throat K-77 with the grey krinkle paint on the magnet, I believe Allan's '64's have them. Do your's Michael? If so, my logic is they may be a year older than '64. This is purely speculation of course since they could have run out of those chrome throat screw terminal K-77 tweets mid year for all I know.

Either way you look at it though, they are going to sound fabulous, with a nice rewire job and fresh gold spade lugs, a couple of Auricap 4uf's & 2uf's they will be as clean and crisp as they ever were.

Those will clean up easy! You should see what Gilbert did to the tops of his '61's. There was an aquarium sitting on the top of the one! All the flaws on those Corns will sand out! Fresh MD4134 Cane Cloth from Wendell Fabrics and those babies will be as sweet as the day they were slid out off the manufacturing building floor.

Enjoy your investment in Klipsch Sfellini!

Allan---No doubt that PWK worked excellent sound out of some very average components. Which is why it seems goofy to me to get cultish about any of those components, on their own most are of little interest to dedicated hornies. An exception made of course for the REAL old WE and Stephens drivers PWK used.

You won't see fellas on the Altec and JBL boards wondering if they can improve their sound substituting Atlas bullhorn drivers and T-35 tweeters, know what I mean? Seems that it's the Klipsch guys that are often looking for better drivers, horns, networks and such. Hell, I played that game myself, putting EV mid horns on LaScalas and changing mid horns and drivers on Cornwalls.

How's the Dodge?

Smilin you know darn well you haven't been away that long. I've caught you post'n a few weeks back. And that price is definitley higher than typical. In the case of this auction, I believe this was the first pair of verticals to pop up on ebay this year....and obviously enough people were interested. The seller also knew darn well that verts. were the more desireable CW's. Not to mention the alnico internals.

I liked them, but the damage to the side veneer on one speaker (looks like a potted plant stain), and the condition of cane grill cloth spooked me off. Otherwise I would have bid too, but I wouldn't have won anyway.

Having re-finished several pairs of vintage cornwalls, I can deal with just about any veneer condition, but both grill cloths had better be clean or at least 90%. I go goo-goo for clean factory grill cloths, especially cane. Anyway, someone will be happy with those puppies. I had also guessed their date to be in the 63 to 65 range, and I believe Good2's assumtion is spot on. The cabinet construction is the final style that Klipsch stuck with, so probably 64's or 65's at the latest. Don't know how accurate component dating would be, but I would assume the speakers to be at least a year or 2 older than the component dates, because the components had to make their way from the manufacturer, to Klipsch's shelf, and finally to the speaker's.

I've gone absolutely bonkers for vintage vert's, most recently a pair of 62s that sold by a private owner. I bid just a little higher than the price that these auctioned for, but the 62's were in much better condition.

great, so have I just gone from the 3rd oldest pair we know of to like the 6th? In one year. No fairsies! Where are these speakers coming from?

This is corrected per Frzninvt's recent post. Oldest know Cornwalls in the hands of Forum Members. All are vertical with Jensen P15LL woofers, Big Bobbin B networks (except where modified), and the chrome horn alnico K77.

Gilbert 61

Frzninvt 62

Triceratops 62

Triceratops 63

Colter 64 4B49

This pair ???

Michael

Colter...or maybe Tom is right, CULT'er:

I have a single rear ported cornwall with completely different cabinet construction than any of my other cornwalls. Distinctly different. I am certain that it is older than my 61's. But personally, I have not called Klipsch for any date verification, because the actual age isn't important to me. I just like old heritage. I fell in love with cornwalls when I aquired my first pair. Some vintage 1989's, or is that semi-vintage.[;)]

Hey were all a cult! No different then the cult that actually think Altec's and JBL's are the end all! Best components on earth with mediocre sound[;)]

Craig

Craig, You took the words right out of my mouth![;)]

Michael,

no need to remove anything just unhook the can caps and put a set of fresh yellow ones in. If they get too fresh, slap them!

Rick

Zapper----My best friend would agree with you and Craig, we traded my modded tractrix Cornwalls for his Altec 605As.

But my point is that Klipsch speakers sound good despite the components used rather than because of them. Well that's putting it a little strongly perhaps but the stuff he used is hardly of cult status or the kind of stuff most would look for if doing a DIY horn system. That's not the same as saying that PWK's speakers themselves, as complete units, aren't worthy of cult status.

Kind Regards

The new caps is an indicator that this crossover has been modified, but I'm not sure that that crossover is right. The autoformer takes the place of resistors in 'stepping down' the power to certain drivers, right? I thought the Low pass for the woofer needed one choke at least, unless it's provided by that second autoformer.

Better wait for Dean or Bob

Michael

Zapper----My best friend would agree with you and Craig, we traded my modded tractrix Cornwalls for his Altec 605As.

But my point is that Klipsch speakers sound good despite the components used rather than because of them. Well that's putting it a little strongly perhaps but the stuff he used is hardly of cult status or the kind of stuff most would look for if doing a DIY horn system. That's not the same as saying that PWK's speakers themselves, as complete units, aren't worthy of cult status.

Kind Regards

Geezz Tom your no fun at all! I figured you come out fighting [;)]