Harsh Digital to Glorious Analog in 1 weekend!!!!

tgourlie

In 1 weekend I have added on, what I would say, is a pretty kick @#!

Analog system. Starting with a pair of Heresy II's, I have

resurected a turntable and a powerful 2 channel tube amp.

1st I picked up a Dual 1229Q that just needed a little TLC. A

quick clean and lube got it up and running. Then I added a Grado

Blue cartridge, And balance and adjusted and tweaked. Then off to

the record stores to pick up some needed vinyl.

I was blown away at how much a new cartridge, a new record, and some

TLC destroyed any digital media I had listened to in the past in sonic

quality.

2nd I added a 17 tube, push pull monster in the form of an Audio

Research D-76A(a pair of matched, original, GE 6550A's for each

channel, and one more to regulate). Right off the bat it had a

hum in the right channel and a lot of static. After some cleaning

and deoxit, it is now reduced to a low stereo hiss that is only audible

with my ear next to the horns. After speaking with AR service, we

narrowed it down to the filter caps causing the hiss/hum that is left

over. Now I must decide if the hiss, that I can not really hear

at the listening position, is worth the $500 filter cap replacement

surgery. And for some reason the 1st 12AX7 for the left channel

is not glowing at all, but the left channel is working, so it does pass

signal???

Sitting now listening to vinyl through a high power tube amp, and into my heritage........... speachless.....

Sounds like your having some fun!

If the 12AX7 that you think isn't glowing was for say the left channel only and the other that is glowing is for the right. The left channel would not pass a signal. I bet its glowing but you will have to turn the lights off and inspect it closely. Some heater elements stick up and glow more then others it can be hard to see them glow.

Don't pay $500 to have the power supply rebuilt. In my opinion there is most likely nothing wrong with the amp with Klipsch speakers being as effeceint as they are you will often have some hiss coming out of the tweeter/mid with your ear up to the horns. If its not audible from your seated posistion I would forget about it until it is. Usually filter cans will cause HUM out of the woofer not hiss out of the tweeter. Don;t believe with a out of warrantee piece of gear that the manufacturer is the only place to get it serviced I can go through that amp for you for a good measure less money and I bet I can tune it to sound better on your speakers to boot. But for now I suggest you just enjoy it as is.

Craig

Craig----I'm trying to be nicer but I will express myself. Besides, I do think Heresys are harsh, I'm not making it up. Evidently this fella fell on a synchronistic combination that ameliorated the harshness inherant in the speaker. EQ in other words.

That's OK, I'm not against EQ. Some audiophiles are but I'm not. But audiophiles should think about this a little, the same fella that raps the use of a dedicated equalizer will search out electronics, wires and phono cartridges that will tailor frequency response in a manner he finds pleasing.

EQ in other words.

Kind Regards

Tom,

I think your EQ theory is bullsh!t. I personally think Klipsch speakers using there less then stellar drivers/horns as the Altec JBL crowd would say are very pesky when it comes to distortion. If you get them horns a ringing with distortion they pronounce it in spades. Feed them a ultra clean signal and its Sonic joy.

I'm sure this will sound like I'm trumpeting my own horn but my VRD amps sound incredibly good with Heresy's and THEY HAVE NO EQ Built into them. Very flat clean low distortion frequency response with no tilt one way or the other. I personally think you prefer sh!t amps and blame everything on the speakers. Just expressing myself mind you.

Craig

Tom,

I think your EQ theory is bullsh!t. I personally think Klipsch speakers using there less then stellar drivers/horns as the Altec JBL crowd would say are very pesky when it comes to distortion. If you get them horns a ringing with distortion they pronounce it in spades. Feed them a ultra clean signal and its Sonic joy.

I'm sure this will sound like I'm trumpeting my own horn but my VRD amps sound incredibly good with Heresy's and THEY HAVE NO EQ Built into them. Very flat clean low distortion frequency response with no tilt one way or the other. I personally think you prefer sh!t amps and blame everything on the speakers. Just expressing myself mind you.

Craig

lol

Craig----I'm being civil to you, please reciprocate.

Why on earth would I prefer bad amps? Because I don't prefer yours? In your mind does that mean that by definition I prefer bad amps? I can see why you'd reason that way but that doean't make such reasoning valid or disinterested.

Heresys sounded bad to me on all the amps I used them with and the speakers I'm using now sound good on the same amps. Speakers have far more effect on the sound than amps do as they have far more deviation from flat response and far more distortion.

You may think your amps and Heresys sound good but I doubt I'd agree. In fact I'd venture to say that the less colored your amps are the worse the Heresys would sound to me.

There's no doubt that some audiophiles use amps, preamps and wires as EQ, just read what many say.

If you disagree please explain the mechanism that is at work. Just how does a horn get "ringing with distortion"? If it rings it rings regardless of the signal. If the speaker has response peaks they will not be effected by a flat amplifier and no amplifier will cure a too narrow dispersion pattern.

The heresy is a little hot in the midrange and treble compared to the bass, even more so at high volumes, when the woofer is run out of excursion. PWK meant the speaker for use in 1/8pi space, if you had it high up on your book shelf, why didn't you change the tap on the autoformer?

This would bring the overall balance back, as would be afforded by placement on the floor, in the corner.

Michael---- Had I thought the speakers were worth playing with I would have but I detected a resonance that was literally causing headaches, padding wouldn't do much for that. I also think the dispersion is too narrow for my needs. And I positioned them every which way; vertical, upside-down, horizontal mirrored both ways.

Before selling them I did try them on the floor, I still couldn't get past the speaker's problems. And sure, PWK said they'd work best on the floor and in the corner but he thought all speakers did. And he never said you had to use them so. Point being that for my needs the speakers didn't work at all and it's not like my needs were strange. Now I have small horns that do work with my needs.

Now some people find the speaker's strengths outweigh it's weaknesses and that's certainly reasonable, we all have our preferences.

Tom,

Some more bullsh!t you change like the wind. Like Paul mentioned not long ago when all you had were your Heresy's hooked up in some little room we all read your comments saying how great they sounded. Now there sh!t. I simply think your similar to a female and can't make up your mind.

Noitce that this particular poster isn't using my amps. I never said you had to use my amps for Hersesy's or any other Klipsch speaker for that matter. I'm just using my amps as a reference point. I wasn't using the term "ring" in the sense you are talking it. I guess I should of stated it better. Simply put I think Klipsch drivers and horns are more susceptable to the ill effects of distortion to the point that they amplfy it. Once its introduced into the speaker it has a mulitplying effect. In other words there plain picky speakers. They don't require EQ they require top quality from source, preamp and amplifier.

Craig

Tom likes the TEAC and I like it too. It's a damn fine sounding little amp. You can't drive it to clean live levels -- but it does pretty good. I think Tom is using 'EQ' in a loose kind of way -- basically anything done that shifts the sonic signature (regardless of how it's done) to being a form of EQ'ing. Really though, EQ'ing is shaping the FR -- where I think most other things impact Timbre (Harmonic content and the attack-decay envelope).

Actually, I think you're both half deaf. :~)

My speakers must all be unique because my Heresies are fantastic

sounding with enough bass where it counts and my Khorns are a much

larger version with some rather alien abilities to transform the

room. I don't use an eq, I don't concern myself with wire, power

cords, or tone controls. 95% of the time it sounds wonderful -

the other 10% of the time I can trace the problem to the source which

are crappy cd's.

I agree Dean. Tom is associating a variety of things people do to

affect the sound they hear with an eq. The humorous part being

most 'audiophiles' object to active equalization but purchase snake oil

in abundance.

I simply think your similiar to a female and can't make up your mind.

That one will get you banned for sure. [:#]

EQ'ing is a good thing, not a bad thing. With most horns it's almost a necessary evil.

Na just a metaphore no need for banning. I might get a slap on the hand from Amy though LOL !!

Craig