Should Khorns be so bright?

JTA

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I believe you said you got an AK-4 kit for your decorators -- have you put that entire kit in your decorators and tried them in place of the mahogany's, and how did that sound?

I share most members' extreme puzzlement, especially if you swapped in your entire AK-4 kit and it still sounded the same. So, I am curious about the decorators/AK-4 sound.

There's gotta be a eureka moment in here somewhere. I'd sure hate to see those mahogany beauties get away. If you hadn't had the luxury of two K-horns and two AK-4 networks (a most unusual situation!), I'd wonder about the midrange drivers or voice coils being defective. Play something at moderate volume and put your ear to the mouth of the mid-range horn -- does the music sound more or less pure, or is it scratchy and distorted? Do the same at the tweeter mouth.

In addition to that, if I were there and since I'm familiar with how each individual drivers/horn sounds, I would disconnect the tweeters to see if the rest sounds OK, then disconnect the mid-range (and hook the tweet back up) and do the same. Wouldn't do much for you if you're not used to listening to them separately. Although you can't listen to the midrange alone without going through the crossover and disconnecting the woofer -- DO NOT put a full-range signal through the mid -- the above ear-in-the-horn mouth test might be good enough to tell just where the problem really lies.

Larry

Larry -- I know what you are thinking about regarding the mids that came with the AK-4's -- but the chances of that happening with four drivers isn't likely.

Not really a waste Edwin. He still has a set to play with, and I'm confident he'll get those dialed in once he pulls them out and starts working with them. However, I think he will probably end up selling the AK-4 kits he bought for them.

It's really not that difficult to figure out -- the squakwer is just too much for him. He will eventually find comfort with a network where he can adjust the squakwer to suit his taste.

Dean,

Give me a break!! I don't believe for a single minute that a properly working set of modern Khorns is going to be "unbearable to listen too" compared to a set of Cornwall's. If indeed a properly working set of stock Khorn's are un-listenable to a person's taste then no amount of crossover work or reasonable modification is going to make them all the sudden fall in love with them. Be realistic this person is saying he can't even stand to be in the room at moderate listening levels. Something is absolutely wrong or the guy would find his Cornwall's objectionable also.

Craig

Be realistic this person is saying he can't even stand to be in the room at moderate listening levels. Something is absolutely wrong or the guy would find his Cornwall's objectionable also.

I agree there's something wrong here. I feel as if I've walked into a clever troll. This guy can't really be serious. It has all the makings of a Neo type matrix movie. Who would buy late model Klipschorns then bag the hell out of them to all and asunder. Didn't he listen to them at the store?

And further this guy insults long time forum members who have owned Klipschorns for many years. If you ask a question, why get all hot under the collar when you're given the answer?

The only reason I said "What a waste", was that this guy has wasted my time with his inane comments about how unbearbale his new Klipschorns are. Further I reckon he's insulted the Klipsch name with his comments.

Ban me for my comments. I don't care.

P.S. In fact this idiot's comments have made me think about not buying a new pair of Klipschorns, since they 'sound so bright'. Maybe I'll buy some Wilsons, or B&W's or McIntosh... or.... Hang on. Haven't I read that somewhere before in this thread?

P.P.S. Hey my post is still here! Anyhow, I was kidding about not buying Klipschorns. Even if I do get banned - I'll still buy them. No sour grapes with me. They're the very best speaker you can buy for your money. Put that in your pipe TBrennan and others...

P.P.P.S. ...and JTA and JDF. You guys can't be serious. It sounds like the blind leading the blind here in your demolition of the Klipschorn.

yup something is wrong that they were not able to indentify. I have heard most Klipsch speakers, I have hereseys in addition to my klipschorns and the differences are not enormous in terms of the house sound.

unlistenable klipschorns, to a person who is familair with klipsch heritage speakers (as I understand these people are) are broken, nothing more or less.

however, to someone who had not heard heritage speakers before klipschorns could indeed be considered unlistenable, I have to accept that some people do not like the heritage and thus the klipschorn sound.

too bad, but at least ehy can reutnr them without problems and buy a pair of speakers they enjoy listening to (or that are not broken).

I agree with Craig on this one, no tweaking will fix an "unlistenable" speaker. it can make a decent speaker sound better or a good speaker sound great. but unlistenable...no

regards, tony

• Moderators

I'm going to go ahead and end this debate as it appears to be somewhat beaten to death.

Any Klipsch owner who feels they may have a problem with their speakers are certainly welcome to post here for ideas, but ultimately, if the problem still isn't solved, I encourage you to call our wonderful tech support for additional troubleshooting and recommendations.

There is no need to slam on any help you may receive or those who give it, nor is there a need to assume people are trolling or don't know how to set up a system, regardless of the truth.

Let's give people the benefit of the doubt and do what this forum was designed to do. Help.

800 Klipsch.

Thank you