from 1994, a harsh sounding hk430, and a dead teac a-l700p. The teac

alone sounds better than the hk430, but no...that died on me! When I

had the merlin and the teac my system was AWESOME! now I hate it and

right now I do not enjoy listening. I need a better cd player, an amp,

a preamp, but all that cost money, so it looks like I am stuck with

this MEDIOCRE system for MY MEDIOCRE LIFE!!! Sorry for the rant, I am

just kind of pissed off depressed because I love music so much, but I

do not have the facilites to have a system to enjoy music on. I Just

want a system to be proud of, IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK FOR?

Again Sorry, just had to tell someone

James

When you've got desires and ambitions and you can't do anything about them - It's horrible, isn't it?

All I can say is I've been there, and done that. Hang in there. Half the fun is choosing what you want. Audition some more gear. Draw up a shortlist. Then draw up an action plan. There's always a way to get what you want.

Let's put things in perspective. When I was your age I had a Radio Shack integrated amp (moving up from Electrophonic receiver with plastic face), Technics 1700 turntable, el cheapo plastic Fisher cassette deck (at least had dolby), and Altec model 7 speakers.

You're doing okay. Unfortunately you're coming of age when your toys need to be fixed. It gets worse, I 've got 2 cars, truck, and boat, when all that needs maintenance its $100's if not more. That's just the price we pay, you gotta keep stuff running. Stuff breaks. Your stuff doesn't hate you, stuff is just stuff.

Michael

James,

Hang in there Bro. Audio can be frustrating and what you describe is pretty tough.

Just a couple of things to remember. You have a choice about whether you grind your gears over it.

Grinding gears wears you down, and that's not a good thing.

Just one of those grey haired experience things I share with my own kids.

Another thought. The HK430, even with it's shortcomings is way better than most people listen to.

Just turn down the volume a little and take in the tunes. And take a deep breath. Breathing the air is good.

Dee sez: 'And take a deep breath. Breathing the air is good. '

Amen brother Dee. You said a lot right there. Whenever I see brides and grooms (or their folks) get overly anxious on a wedding day, I just do a simple breathing exercise with them. Calms em right down.

Bet yer one heck of a Father.

Michael

Hey- don't you know its getting better all the time?

I've been there, too. I remember having people over several years ago -- cranked up the Yamaha receiver I thought was so great, and everything just sounded caustic--even Frank Sinatra sounded thin. But I've slowly upgraded through eBay, etc, with different amps, preamps, DA converters, and CD players. My Klipsch's I got at a store closing for just a few hundred bucks--

If sound is the priority and money is the problem, you gotta scratch and claw to get the sound where you like it. Kids take away all the money for me--but I'm somewhat happy now with the eneveloping sound I've worked hard to achieve--

What's great is this Forum -- it always offers hope for better sound!

James,

Patience pays off , believe me on that one. I've been on the forum for about 2yrs now just reading around n learning. I heard a pair of KG4s at a friend's friend's place couple years back and I've been wanting a 2-channel system for awhile ( a few years rather). I'm a univ student and needless to mention funds are limited. One of my roomates fortunately lent me a Kenwood KA-4004 yesterday, and I'm hoping to pick up this entry level pioneer cd player at a nearby hock shop. My search for entry level klipsch speakers is still ongoing. I can totally understand your frustration, believe me I feel it everyday. One of these days hopefully you and I can join these klipsch veterans with our own half-decent 2 channel system. Until then, cheers

Ranjith