Custom "Heritage" Center

jwc

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You are having WWAAAAYYYY too much fun. What do you do, cut up plywood all weekend?

Michael

Well. Kinda. Nice seductive Avatar. You can't seem to settle on one "look".

My wife is tellin me that after the center channel, that is it for awhile. She is tired of all the sawdust from sanding.

It's too bad. I had a complete custom project in mind that should be the bomb. I keep learning more and more all the time and I just keep wanting to do "better". Most of my projects so far have been to utilize the K55v for several applications. To me it is a great driver. I would like to build a "Bass Cannon" that BS Button and I had talked about some time ago. Where the heck is he by the way? He used to be all over this forum.

The "Heritage" products have a distinct sound that audio enthusiasts love. However, the bass IMO could use some improvements (don't freak out here). I wish I could have heard the CWIII. The CW 1 and 2 cabinets are "tuned" in the 40's Hz and rolls down in the 30's. That sounds great.....no doubt...I'm sure you would agree. Ever wondered why Klipsch and other Speaker makers don't use a 15" woofer anymore? Is this totally a WAF issue? I started that thread some time ago asking the opinions of other members which speaker they considered had the "best" bass (excluding Khorn). The CW carried the highest vote. Why is that? Is it that most of the "active" chatters here are Heritage fans? That cabinet was created before T/S parameters were used. Then after they were published, the CW stayed essentially the same. Yes, PWK was brilliant...I know.

I think what I may do for awhile is to do some network upgrades. Lots less messy. I will probably start with putting some "feet" on my CS-dbb's and then maybe upgrade their networks to a modified AK-3. There is no doubt that that speaker sounds better than anything I've ever heard (that I can remember).[:D] I have to give a thanks again to Terry Cruse (IB Slammin) again for giving me the inspiration to the dbb project. I hope he finds time to build a pair of his own.

jc

You are having WWAAAAYYYY too much fun. What do you do, cut up plywood all weekend?

Michael

Well. Kinda. Nice seductive Avatar. You can't seem to settle on one "look".

My wife is tellin me that after the center channel, that is it for awhile. She is tired of all the sawdust from sanding.

It's too bad. I had a complete custom project in mind that should be the bomb. I keep learning more and more all the time and I just keep wanting to do "better". Most of my projects so far have been to utilize the K55v for several applications. To me it is a great driver. I would like to build a "Bass Cannon" that BS Button and I had talked about some time ago. Where the heck is he by the way? He used to be all over this forum.

The "Heritage" products have a distinct sound that audio enthusiasts love. However, the bass IMO could use some improvements (don't freak out here). I wish I could have heard the CWIII. The CW 1 and 2 cabinets are "tuned" in the 40's Hz and rolls down in the 30's. That sounds great.....no doubt...I'm sure you would agree. Ever wondered why Klipsch and other Speaker makers don't use a 15" woofer anymore? Is this totally a WAF issue? I started that thread some time ago asking the opinions of other members which speaker they considered had the "best" bass (excluding Khorn). The CW carried the highest vote. Why is that? Is it that most of the "active" chatters here are Heritage fans? That cabinet was created before T/S parameters were used. Then after they were published, the CW stayed essentially the same. Yes, PWK was brilliant...I know.

I think what I may do for awhile is to do some network upgrades. Lots less messy. I will probably start with putting some "feet" on my CS-dbb's and then maybe upgrade their networks to a modified AK-3. There is no doubt that that speaker sounds better than anything I've ever heard (that I can remember).[:D] I have to give a thanks again to Terry Cruse (IB Slammin) again for giving me the inspiration to the dbb project. I hope he finds time to build a pair of his own.

jc

James, thanks for the honorable mention.

Having used four stacked CW's in two channel, I knew that clean explosive bass-reflex bottom slam was possible with two 15" drivers in one box that could extend back into the corner, thus keeping a large horn at ear level. (think of the WAF with a stack 1' from the ceiling) The dbb's was my dream, but you did the math and the work. (sanding[:D]) They are your design and you did well. I have owned Khorns, and LaS, and have no doubt that the dbb's will remain to "sound better than anything I've ever heard" for us both.

Best regards,

Terry

Well, the construction is done. As you know, for now, I chose a sealed cabinet. I made it to where the woofer motor board could be changed at any time.

This isn't my best work considerin I put the thing together so quick. It doesn't matter too much. It will be tucked away beside my TV. Just need to make some grills...do that later.

post-16499-13819273790852_thumb.jpg

Hey Bob. Man guess what. No sound coming through it! The MAC meter on the amp shows sound coming through but there is NO sound at all. I started to laugh a little.

I checked the XO wiring. Everything seems to be right. Could this be a grounding problem, I would at least expect the woofer to play since it is a simple circuit.

What do you think. Man...No sound?

jc

Hey Bob. Man guess what. No sound coming through it! The MAC meter on the amp shows sound coming through but there is NO sound at all. I started to laugh a little.

I checked the XO wiring. Everything seems to be right. Could this be a grounding problem, I would at least expect the woofer to play since it is a simple circuit.

What do you think. Man...No sound?

jc

OK.

YOU ALL GET TO LAUGH REALLY DAMN LOUD AT JC. I DISCOVERED THE DUMBEST THING.

WORKING. LET ME GIVE IT A TEST DRIVE.

OK. We will be happy to laugh at you, but first you have to tell us what you did. Bob

OK. Here goes. I got these fancy Monster speaker cables that are covered with a plastic coating and then another very thin plastic coating right on the copper. When I stripped the wire I didn't get that inner coating off and didn't get the connection.

So it wasn't really even hooked up. Yes. I'm a Dumass'.

Marvel. I was giving you a compliment about the K401 having to be on a baffle. However, I realized that compliment should have gone to Michael Hurd. I meant to change that post.

Well first impression of sound:

Again as the other projects, better than I thought. Really. That K401 center midhorn makes such a difference to match two K401's on the sides. I am listening to Diane Krall DVD-A in surround right now. Used to always listen in stereo. My MAC MX119 allows me to adjust the sound of the center with the fronts on the fly. Sounds great. Man I'm stoked.

Entertaining a bunch of guests tomorrow. Man, will I show off. Got the big head right now.

jc

post-16499-13819273792822_thumb.jpg

Bob, I think you are right. Right now I think It is perfect. I am in awe more now than I was with the other projects. This wasn't even that expensive.

The bass I am assuming is like the Heresy. It has been a long time since I have heard a Heresy though. I have it rolled off right now as a "small" in my HT setup. I will turn this off later to get a better opinion. It is "punchy" but not low. Reminds me a little of my late La Scalas. Seems to integrate well. By the end of the year, I will have a good RTA to analyze this stuff. May go with the way Dean is doing it with that EQ. I am kind of a computer geek..I probably should get the computer involved with this.

The thing that is gettin me the most is that midhorn right in the middle. Sounds fantastic. I haven't heard this kind of imaging in a long time. Too bad PWK didn't make something of his "runt". It would sell like hotcakes. Amy and Trey. You should market that thing.

jc