I want to do a network "roadshow", anyone interested?

Deang

Guys,

It seems Dean has a good idea here. Maybe I should horn in on the party! Would anybody be interested in a set of Extreme-slope netwroks for Belle or LaScala to pass around? It would take some doing though. The things are heavy and shipping and packing would not be an easy thing.

Al K.

I cannot say yes loud or often enough to this!!!! Absolutely I am interested in this!!!!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dean/Jeff:

So what exactly makes it a Super B network for the Cornwalls? Does this mean that a P-trap is built into the network and that is what makes it super, or is there some other option over the standard 2.0 and 4.0 uF caps and 2.5 mHy inductor with the T2A autoformer? I will have the caps and extra inductor to make the P trap over the weekend. Inquiring minds want to know. [:)]

Put them both on the same board and have an AB switch handy.

Heck, put everyone's crossovers on the same board (it's only temporary

right? so looks won't be an issue for testing) and then have a switch

that goes between the different types...It would be even more

interesting to make it a blind listen, so you don't know which you are

listening to until after you send it on to the next person. This would

allow for some really unbiased opinions. Heck, make the board capable

of including the original crossover in the test as well.

If we get enough people interested we may be able to skip a lot of

shipping costs and just drive them around. Not like everyone would need

to listen in the span of a month.

Al/Dean:

"Eric,

I normally do make my stuff public, but the "Super AA" was designed as a joint ventre between Dean and I, so It's going to have to be a joint decision to post the schematic."

I absolutely understand and respect that -- as I would the decision at this point to just 'keep it dark.' Please disregard the request -- no problem at all. I'm sure it's a great sounding schematic (schematic, I mean crossover!!!), and I'm just always looking for ways to build things on the cheap -- which I admit isn't always the best way to do it. I really want to make your Univeral replacement, Al, but have not done so for the same reason -- my reason for which being equally weak. Where I will spend a bunch on an amp, and then skimp on the crossover, quite honestly doesn't make much sense, I guess...

So, good luck with this!

Erik

P

Heck, put everyone's crossovers on the same board (it's only temporary

right? so looks won't be an issue for testing) and then have a switch

that goes between the different types...It would be even more

interesting to make it a blind listen, so you don't know which you are

listening to until after you send it on to the next person. This would

allow for some really unbiased opinions. Heck, make the board capable

of including the original crossover in the test as well.

that would be quite a large and valuable board. don't his extreme slope networks go for around a grand? i don't think i'd trust the likes of ups and fedex shipping that thing around multiple times...

Fini,

Actually, The Khorn extreme-slope network will work in the La Scala but not in the Belle. The ES500/600/700 networks will work in the Belle and LaScala but not the Khorn! It's a real dilemma! What to do... What to do... !! ????

Al K.

Well Al since you asked!!! I'd say the ES400T/ES5800 combo you reach the most people who might be interested that way.

I think Al's crazy. Those things have almost $700 in parts between them. I wouldn't do anything like what he's considering unless everyone gave me their credit card number first!!

Erik -- I've actually posted that schematic serveral times in the past. In fact, I posted it once for you when you started contemplating the L-pads. The schematic is on my machine at work, and I won't be there again until Tuesday. I'll put it up after I go in.

Al -- if you see this post feel free to put it up.

Guys,

It seems Dean has a good idea here. Maybe I should horn in on the party! Would anybody be interested in a set of Extreme-slope netwroks for Belle or LaScala to pass around? It would take some doing though. The things are heavy and shipping and packing would not be an easy thing.

Al K.

Al,

Count me in! I'd love to get something here to tell Dean it sounds better LMAO!! I'm serious though.

Craig

Put them both on the same board and have an AB switch handy.

Heck, put everyone's crossovers on the same board (it's only temporary right? so looks won't be an issue for testing) and then have a switch that goes between the different types...It would be even more interesting to make it a blind listen, so you don't know which you are listening to until after you send it on to the next person. This would allow for some really unbiased opinions. Heck, make the board capable of including the original crossover in the test as well.

If we get enough people interested we may be able to skip a lot of shipping costs and just drive them around. Not like everyone would need to listen in the span of a month.

I think we should all jump over hoops and fly to moon LOL !!!

Guys,

I have been thinking about this a bit. The low frequency networks (ES400/500/600, and 700) are all real boat anchors. The you need to be shiped in a wooden crate to be sure that everybody could sucessfully repack them. The ES5800, on the other hand, is quite compact. I could combine the 1st order low crossover of the my "Universal" netwrok on a seperate board and pair it with the ES5800. That way one set would work for all three speakers. They would still give a good account of themselves. I believe the tweeter / squawker cross is more important then the low one with respect to driver interferance anyhow.

Al K.

Fini - have you been to Al's website and looked at those things? There's no question you could build up a quality packing crate, but I think it's more a question of practicality. These aren't simple one board networks that you can just pop in -- it takes a freaking while! Heck, it takes almost an hour or more just to unpack everything and read the manual (yea, a freaking manual). They're beautiful too, so you move like you're handling fine china. I like the simple low pass with the ES5800 idea much better.

As for mine - bubble wrapped and doubled boxed will work fine and keep shipping cost to about $15 to just about anywhere in the country. I appreciate the offer though - very kind of you to consider it. BTW, Mark has the first order version of this thing in his Belles. When you get a chance you might want to head over and check it out.

Kudret -- Yep, that's the one. Thanks!

Dr. Who -- they may sound fabulous, but I doubt they sound as good as my Klipschorns. They better NOT sound as good my Klipschorns!

" From DeanG " Sunburnwilly -- What I sent back to you is a pair of rebuilt "Type AA's", but it does have the tweeter filter from this network. It's really just a tweaked AA tweeter filter. The second cap is changed to 4uF and the inductor to .15mH. Your networks still have the stock squawker circuit. Never the less, I think you'll be very pleased with the sound, especially compared to what you had. Hey, the price was right, ya think? :) A pic would still be nice, because layout and asthetics will be the same as what I'm sending out. I should have taken some pictures myself -- I was really happy with the look of them. [H] Here They Are [H]

post-18289-13819273657052_thumb.jpg