Tubes Didn't Thrill Me!

Frzninvt

One thing you can count on with "Tube Guy", he has no sense humor! I am a big tube fan when it comes to guitar amps, hell I have three of them! My pride and joy is my 1974 SUNN model T head. I also have a Fender Blues Jr., great practice amp, and a Fender Bassman head that needs some work. I just have had too many bad experiences with home tube amps. I am to the point in my life where I like remote control, I like things that last, and I like to have a home stereo that spends more time playing music than sitting in the shop! My days of soldering guns, tube rolling, cap matching, resistor fixing, fuse blowing, ground loops etc., etc., etc., are over! I want to turn it on from my easy chair, and enjoy the music! I think a lot of us enthusiests, me included, spend more time "loving" the equipment than enjoying the music! I am quite happy with, hold on to your valves, my Yamaha RX-777 receiver and my Forte's or my Heresy's. After adding a Synergy Sub-12, I have no complaints and I know it will work tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day, and the next day.............. My sincere apologies to those I may have offended!

ENJOY THE MUSIC!!!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like things that last, and I like to have a home stereo that spends more time playing music than sitting in the shop! ............. My sincere apologies to those I may have offended! ENJOY THE MUSIC!!!

Bonzo, I still hear ya, but on this one...I'll have to disagree with the portion of your statement about tube component longevity. Though I must confess, I have been having all of my tube components serviced, fully restored, one by one. And so far, the ones that have been serviced...are truely plug and play now. Just like they were 40+ years ago. Yes I roll tubes, and enjoy it. I may be to analytical in my listening, but I still enjoy it.

IMHO, comparing the longevity between tube systems and SS systems is like the ole analogy....comparing apples and oranges. My mac tube gear is older than me (43yrs)....how many 33yr old SS components can you think of today, that are highly sought after, and can be purchased as plug and play. No such animal exist, even transistors and IC's will go bad with time.

First off the NAD is a great preamp and was engineered with two channel operation in mind. So don't start to blame the preamp, that is BS! Let me also say the MC-30's did not sound bad in any way! They sound fabulous! They have been reworked/rebuilt and have alot of the better choice tubes in them.

Also keep in mind that I am comparing them to a hand built $5K DBX BX1 Reference amplifiers that was built with one goal to be the best by the Senior Engineering team at DBX in the late 80's and only 2000 were ever made if that.

Why in the world would I spend even more money on updates, tubes, etc when the sound I get out of my BX1's is already directly comparable to the MC-30, to me that means the MC-30 since it is over 40 years old and sounds just as good as a super engineered SS amp is a work of art. There is a point of dimishing returns here folks, no matter what the parts or what the tubes.

The difference in sound is so close, that it is hard to tell. I noticed more difference putting in a pair of DeanG's networks in my speakers.

My sole point is the difference in sound is not worth the investment and maintenance, I am going to offer them for sale for exactly what I have invested in them at this point. I even had my wife listen over and over and amp to amp since I did not want to trust my ears alone and she even said their was not much of a difference. Listened to a good variety of stuff from different sources all with the same results.

Sorry, they just didn't WOW me!

Between the preamp used and this picture the MC30's didn't have a prayer.

PostAttachment.aspx

Heck if you look closely the amps don't even electrically match each other. Look at the caps missing and different types on the rear amp in this picture. Cap type (quality) and having the amps electically match each other would make a huge difference. Another absolute is the power supply cans in both amps looks to be the original 45+ year old electrolytes another big ?

The entire problem with people trying vintage tube amps and making tried and true decisions on what they hear is the operating condition is unknown.

Craig

Frozen,

It is indeed a bummer to get a much anticipated shipment of gear and then be dissapointed with it's performance.

I have to say I sure would like to hear your DBX BX1. Conventional

wisdom, that a very high quality SS amp like that would present a

formidable challenge to find anything that bested it's sound.

As far as the poor performance of the Macs, it is pretty likely that

they are not tuned up to their best, and who knows what kind of

synergistic issues might be at work with the combination of preamp and

the Macs.

It is interesting to note that not everyone who listens to Klipsch

listens with tubes. When I had the opportunity to listen to Mr. Paul's

system with Miss Valerie, his system was all SS.

I admit that neither big ole horns or refurbished vintage integrated tube amplifiers are the last word in accuracy. You give up a lot if tightness in the bass, for example, in exchange for a lush and pleasing sound in the mid-range. But big ole horns love tubes, so I am surprised that anybody would not find them to be a significant difference on horns in the long run.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Ive heard a super, solid-state, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />NelsonPass X250 amplifier on horizontal horn, B2 crossover, walnut-oiled, Cornwalls though and know that they can be wonderful performers for the money. As the price rises, I believe the significant difference between solid-state and tube amplifiers, plus other types of loudspeakers designs, diminishes they all start sounding very good, with few bad anomalies.

Those McIntosh tubes look dirty and dark compared to mine after a few years [*-)]