Forte', best speaker!

Bonzo

I would like to give the Forte' my nomination for best overall speaker! I have had K-horns, LaScalas, Cornwalls, Chorus I's, Heresy's and Forte's. From my experience with these speakers, and several more from other makers, I have concluded that the Forte's are the best of the bunch for the following reasons.

1. Sound quality is at least 90% or more of the others listed, even my beloved Corns. Bass is incredible for this size of speaker! I'm considering selling my sub.

2. Size, they fit into most any room and decor'. They don't look like two washing machines in the living room!

3. Ease of placement. They sound great in whatever position I have placed them.

4. Amp/source friendly. They seem to sound great with whatever combination of components I use them with. Most equipment has been of good quality though.

5. Resonably priced. With some looking, you can usually find a nice pair for around $400 to $500.

6. Soundstage. I hate using "audiophile" terminiology but, with the right recording, you are front row center!

7. Upgrades. There are several great upgrades available to the crossovers which take the Forte' to the next level!

8. Last, and most important, my wife likes them!

I may have missed something but, it is my opinion that the Forte' is the best overall speaker you can buy!

I don't think you're just blowing smoke here. My only thought is that the Forte and Forte II perform better in small to medium sized rooms. I have heard that Mr. Paul kept a pair in his office and for that space at least, the Forte II was his speaker of choice.

I have used the Forte IIs in HT and doubt a sub would ever be necessary but again, room size and make- up is critical here.

I love my Cornwalls and Klipschorns may be in the picture but my Forte IIs will be the last Klipsch speakers to go.

The K-horn in the proper room with proper corners and the right components is hard to beat! I really loved my Cornwall II's in my old house which had a much bigger front room. I was single then also. I just think for most homes today, the Forte's fit better and are a real world compromise to it's bigger brothers. I lucked out with my pair. They have some of the nicest wood grain and finish I have ever seen in a speaker, walnut oil. As I said, my wife really likes the way they look and the way they fit into our living room. Oh, she thinks they sound OK too.

Fortes don't need a sub to rattle your bones, they are a good size,

clear, crisp and are great for full range sound. I don't think mine

will be leaving the family any time soon. I replaced them with Corns in

my 2 ch and they are serving front main duty in my HT. Hard to say if I

miss them in 2ch. The corns are great but so were the Fortes!

Personally, I agree with your sentiments. The Original Forte was my first "real " speaker. I owned lots of boom boxes and little systems w/ Magnavox speakers that I bought at Witmark in the 80's. Talk about an upgrade! One listen, and I've never gone back. Now my wife shakes her head everytime I put a movie in. She too can't believe the sound, and would rather watch a movie with me at home than travel to the theater. (I think it has more to do with her small bladder than her love of great sound though...

The perfect speaker is the one that you're listening to at the moment...

As for the question; How does the Forte' II compare with the Chorus II... dang, that is exactly what I'm going tonight...

I'm a Forte' fan from back when too. I've had K'horns and a tasle of other Heritage speakers.

Here are my (and my girlfriend's) observations:

With no question, the Chorus II sounds "bigger, fuller, sexier". Sitting on my couch, which one do I enjoy hearing more? I almost hate to say, but the Chorus II.

I do sort of think they sound the similar, except for a noticable sound level difference (as would be expected). When I adjust the volume up a bit when listening to the Forte'; I forget which speaker I'm listening too. Litterally. If you have to walk up to a speaker and feel the woofer move; then it must not sound to bad compared to the compition, eh?

The difference is more noticable below half volume. At louder volumes the diff between the two is way harder to tell which I'm hearing.

But, so far, given the choice, the Chorus II makes my nipples happier than the Forte' II. And I was skeptical too.

Don't need a sub with the Forte'??!! What have ya'll been smokin'?! I'm sitting here turning my SW12 sub on and off listening to both of these speakers, at all sound levels, and dang if that sub doesn't remind me of Bacon; It just makes everything better!!

Sure, if you don't have a sub you won't be sad. But, if you can afford the money, room, whatever, for a sub; Do IT!

In fact, I recommend two...

Oh, BIG, BIG, brownie point for the Forte' II; I carried the Forte's into the house MYSELF tonight... I needed help with the Chorus II (and my Chorus for that matter). That is a HUGE advantage for any one that isn't in the house they plan on dieing in.

OK, Bottom Line? The Chorus II with a sub (or two) sound really really good. Isn't it all about the sound?

However, phase 2 (and 3, 4, and 5 I'm afraid) of my evaluations will be to use these speakers with a center channel (or two) and surrounds )and, yes, subs!) and find the best (for me) combination of speakers to make a matching, seamless, livable HT setup.

Then, find homes for the leftovers.

Remember, this is just me talkin'.

D

You are right the forte is a great speaker,i had a new pair befor going to lascalas and found low end to be quite impressive but they could not keep up with the clarity of lascalas or khorns,The diifference is very noticable when hooking up both.