Anyone build a DIY security sys for the home?

m00n

with all the very inexpensive motion detectors you could get very creative m00n. You could rig up another sound system to trip with a motion detector playing anything. If a burglar were in a house and heard a radio come on they would probly leave pretty quick.

another idea would be a motion detector rigged up to open a box full of Africanized Honey bees. Or better yet those big Japanese hornets that can kill you. I think this is considered Biological warfare though.

Fortunately, I was able to buy a 'kit' from an electronics wholesaler,

and you may have a friend in the 'biz' who could hook you up-w/a system

;)

What you may want to do is see if you know anyone locally that will

install your system 'off the clock'. Some are easy to install, others

require alot of experience as they need resistors of various values to

complete the circuits depending on the number of sensors, contacts,

etc. you have. Also, hard wired contacts are the best, but most

difficult to install-otoh, wireless contacts have come a long way.

Consider if several motion-detectors at key locations will do the job

(if they break a window, or force a door, the motion detector will pick

'em up once they are in, potentially negating the need for window/door

contacts). In Louisiana, you 'have' to be licenced to install a burglar

alarm system, or even buy one. Many systems also allow for heat, smoke,

and water detectors to be incorporated into the system. You must decide

if you want your system to be monitored by local police,send a page to

a pager, or just a 'noisemaker'.

My system actually 'speaks' the name of the entry point opened-"front door open" "master bedroom window open"...etc.

Personally, I beleive that a good CCTV camera system is an excellent

deterrent as no criminal wants to be on camera 'caught in the act'.

post-6249-13819273795452_thumb.jpg

well, i wanted it to be a Browning Hi-Power 9mm (Belgium made, of course) but SWMBO likes guns even less than stereo gear . . . .. . and with the kids and all, ended up with the exterior lights activated by motion detectors . . . . . which is fine for the area in which we live, as they don't allow bad people around here . . . . (yeah, i know i am here, but i snuck in).

got a buddy whose wife is a sufficient deterent to keep the bad guys away . . . . . . . seems she keeps the good guys away too . .. . . . he would probably trade you some stereo gear, even if is from Radio Shack! Heck, he would probably even provide delivery . . . .

Old horn pads, in a vehicle like the 95-current sunfire/cavalier, have a nice wafer-thin pressure contact in a flexible plastic covering. These make a very nice sensitive pressure sensor, needing only a bit of pressure to close the circuit.

If you have a scrapyard close by or a local pick-a-part, you could obtain one for next to nothing. ( at a pick-a-part, 2 seconds with a utility knife will open the cover and you can put it your pocket ) You could use the sensor to turn on lights, start a vcr tape, almost anything.

Yup ... there called " dogs" ... lol

Puppy chow does'nt seem to make them very aggressive so i feed them a more manly food .. kibbles and bits !!

That way they get it into there minds that if you come into my house uninvited then they are allowed to chomp on your kibbles and then chew up the little bits ...

The male ( pictured in my avatar on the left ) is 110 lbs of mouth ... Bring a gun ... :)

Every house is different. I put one in 20 years ago and added to it about a year ago. All my windows and doors are armed. Don't forget to do the garage door. The hardest part for me was crawling around in the attic. I have a keypad by the front door and some remote triggers around the house. It's powered by 120 volts with a battery backup. There is a horn siren on the roof. Maybe it's time to put one of my Altec 311-90 horns up there?

I bought most of the stuff in kit form from the Rat Shack. They don't sell any as good as the one that I have anymore, you will need to look elceware.

I thought youz guyz in Canada just left your doorz open .

Well i certainly do ...... can't speak for everyone though

I was just having fun with the dog comments ... my boxers are used to protect my kids when they are outside playing by themselves .

I live in the country where we have somewhat of a coyote problem .. so the dogs keep the off the properly and keep the kids safe

I have been looking into building my own security system as well. I am

going to use a 4 camera system with power over ethernet so I will only

have to run one cord to each network camera. The adapters for POE are

only about $20 a piece and from their they will connect to a small

linux based computer which has internet/network connectivity. I am

going to have it setup so that when a camera and motion sensor together

are tripped it sends me a text message and email. The text message will

send me my current IP address so I can login and view the cameras real

time and see what tripped the alarm. The software is going to be either

motion with custom scripts or zoneminder.

I have been looking into building my own security system as well. I am going to use a 4 camera system with power over ethernet so I will only have to run one cord to each network camera. The adapters for POE are only about $20 a piece and from their they will connect to a small linux based computer which has internet/network connectivity. I am going to have it setup so that when a camera and motion sensor together are tripped it sends me a text message and email. The text message will send me my current IP address so I can login and view the cameras real time and see what tripped the alarm. The software is going to be either motion with custom scripts or zoneminder.

seti, very interesting. I'm not as worried about sending emails, but I do want a sirine to go off. Where are you doing your research at?

seti, very interesting. I'm not as worried about sending emails, but I
do want a sirine to go off. Where are you doing your research at?

I already have a siren which is monitored but I want to know who is in
my house and I want proof that will stand up in a court of law. If they
try to break in and run off I still get their images and I get them on
the computer security system tucked away in the top of a closet and
sent off site to an email account. Hang em high!

I have also been conidering goats with laser beams strapped to their heads.