What is the "best" La Scala Crossover

BS Button

I would assume people would say the AA.

That said.. I have the AL 3's all around 7 La Scalas. And I am very, very, happy with them too.

The only way to know would be in your house... for a week or so going back n forth too.

That said.. I like the BEC way of doing things... (The short outsider version..) Let's just make sure they are at factory specs..Original parts.. rather than others tweeks and mods... And see how you like them now?

Most people may have after 20 or so years a loss in one area... Some say they sound broken in..after a good 20- 30 years..LOL I think if your happy, leave it. So unless you hear something really is off...?
Or if your unhappy... I think BEC is the way to go..

Probbaly the best x over by far for the La Scalas would be the new AK-4's... $$ I am sure... networks in the soon to be delivered updated scalas... We heard them at the Klipsch Weekend..and yes.. VERY VERY Smooth..

AL-3 and AA, both very good crossovers in Lascalas. Both if original likely need rebuilds by now. That suprised me about the AL-3 needing a rebuild. I did not think they were old enough to need it until I rebuilt a few of them.

On which is the best, I give a slight nod to the AA personally. The AL-3 runs the tweeter slightly forward compared to the AA. Some may like that better. I could get used to it myself. By the way, I have Lascalas with both types.

Worst crossover for Lascala? Most will say the AL is the worst.

Bob Crites

I own 2003 Klipschorns (BEC says they're Klaphorns now:) that came with AK-4's. I've built and/or listened to every good network available for the Klipschorn: Type A, Type AA, Type AL-3, DHAxover, ALKs, Super AA, and the ESN's. I've personally built the majority of them with both inexpensive parts and expensive parts. I've spent close to a $1000 in caps and other parts to build and make the comparisons over the course of several months. I think all of the stock filters fall short compared to the newer designs. Even Klipsch has abandoned the old design philosophy -- which sacrificed smoothness in response in exchange for the highest sensitivity possible. If we are interested in the best sound, then we have to be willing to give up some sensitivity in exchange for a smoother response. With that said, it's important to understand that the "best network" is the one that provides the best overall performance with your musical tastes and power levels -- it's not the same for everyone.

If we are interested in the best sound, then we have to be willing to give up some sensitivity in exchange for a smoother response. With that said, it's important to understand that the "best network" is the one that provides the best overall performance with your musical tastes and power levels -- it's not the same for everyone.

My take on that is that best sound is achieved by using better drivers and the simplest crossover.

I wish I had half my brain too.

Unlike the other Heritage speakers, the Heresy III (and Cornwall III) is a complete redesign. First they changed the woofer and raised the crossover point. Since you typically match the sensitivity of the top to what the bottom can do, it may mean they simply managed to squeeze a bit more out of the bottom. Another possibility is a peak in the response. For example: the RF-7 has a 102dB rating due to some peaks in horn's response. The rest of response is pretty much 99dB.

It's tough isn't it? Take the whole response of a speaker -- and you're dealing with the same thing. Do you rate it based on the "loudest" point, or some average? BTW, the new Klipschorn network "traps" those big peaks in the middle, which gives the impression it goes lower (because you now hear the low notes better).

Same deal with "nominal" impedance. It's almost a misnomer -- it doesn't tell you a thing about the real behavior of the drivers.

Like Who's signature says -- it's all about compromise. You trade one thing for another - you can't have it all.