Hey, Gurus and Nerds! What soldering iron do you use?

fini

Fini:

Please let us know how this comes along, ok? As I mentioned, if when you get the reformed cans back in the power supply you find they are not working properly, they can very easily be replaced. For now, I think this process is a great learning experience, and I think gave first-rate advice on keeping to a level of involvement you're comfortable with.

There are some specific things you can look and listen for regarding the performance and/or behavior of the capacitors, and you don't need specialized equipment in order to determine if it would be better to replace them. My feeling is that you can get some longer life out of them. If that turns out not to be the case, you yourself found how straightforward it is to desolder the connections and remove them.

Cheap Seats, himself!

Erik

Never mind it would be like pissing in the wind.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fini:

If I can pass this on: Be sure you observe correct polarity on those capacitors when you reinstall them -- it can be very dangerous if you don't. Usually the polarity is marked, which will make those connections obvious. If you're not sure, don't do the work until you know for sure.

"Never mind it would be like pissing in the wind."

Craig: That's not what you said when you asked me how to build a full-wave bridge out of solid state diodes, remember? I didn't make fun of you because you were not familiar with the process, and you seemed to appreciate the response I sent you. You also never mentioned urinating in a breeze when I told Cut-Throat I would mail him the instructions for converting the AC 6SN7 heater supply on his Moondogs to DC. I said I would just email him the instructions, and you asked me to please post the entire process on the forum so you could see what was going to be done. We actually exchanged many civilized responses back then. This is not a snide remark, Craig, it's the truth.

Diagnosing a bad filter capacitor involves fundamental troubleshooting, that does not absolutely require the use of a scope. Depending on the nature of the problem, some of the best test equipment we have is attached to the sides of our head -- they are called ears. However, when I filter cap begins to fail, there are also other tell-tale signs that can be easily measured using a volt meter. Sure, a scope can be used for all sorts of things, but I have correctly diagnosed many failing filter capacitors with my ears, a volt meter, and my brain.

I am hoping for increased education, and I think Fini will benefit in that respect by giving Shannon a chance with reforming. If the caps do not hold up, Fini will get the extra practice of carefully going through the step-by-step process that will eventually lead to a greater understanding of how some of this stuff works.

Erik

Sure did.

I replied via PM - check it and let me know!

Gee whiz! I never suspected soldering irons would be such a fascinating topic![:P]

Now, if I could just find a decent solder/desolder station with vacuum (without having to use the &%$# solderpult solder suckers) for around $60 -$100... now that would be exciting news! [:P]

Fini:

If I can pass this on: Be sure you observe correct polarity on those capacitors when you reinstall them -- it can be very dangerous if you don't. Usually the polarity is marked, which will make those connections obvious. If you're not sure, don't do the work until you know for sure.

"Never mind it would be like pissing in the wind."

Craig: That's not what you said when you asked me how to build a full-wave bridge out of solid state diodes, remember? I didn't make fun of you because you were not familiar with the process, and you seemed to appreciate the response I sent you. You also never mentioned urinating in a breeze when I told Cut-Throat I would mail him the instructions for converting the AC 6SN7 heater supply on his Moondogs to DC. I said I would just email him the instructions, and you asked me to please post the entire process on the forum so you could see what was going to be done. We actually exchanged many civilized responses back then. This is not a snide remark, Craig, it's the truth.

Diagnosing a bad filter capacitor involves fundamental troubleshooting, that does not absolutely require the use of a scope. Depending on the nature of the problem, some of the best test equipment we have is attached to the sides of our head -- they are called ears. However, when I filter cap begins to fail, there are also other tell-tale signs that can be easily measured using a volt meter. Sure, a scope can be used for all sorts of things, but I have correctly diagnosed many failing filter capacitors with my ears, a volt meter, and my brain.

I am hoping for increased education, and I think Fini will benefit in that respect by giving Shannon a chance with reforming. If the caps do not hold up, Fini will get the extra practice of carefully going through the step-by-step process that will eventually lead to a greater understanding of how some of this stuff works.

Erik

Your just looking for a fight Erik aren't you. Well you came to the right guy.

But first before I completely piss you off. I'm seriously thinking about trying something different in the way of profession. So my question to you is..... Could I have your teaching degree? Besides if you gave it away I'm sure your students would be relieved.

I have another question if your so great at tube audio how come you couldn't find the obnoxious noise in that preamp I was nice enough to let you check out for over 8 months? I guess all these tools I own that you don't must be good for something since I fixed in a few hours.

I know you think your ears are something special they must of failed you for that particular 8 months Heh !!

Fini,

If you need any more real advise and want your want your Dynaco amps to sound like sh!t just follow the amateur I'm sure he can make then sound like a anemic SET amp without a problem.

Like I said saying anything to the TEACHER is like pissing in the wind he knows it all

Craig

Craig:

I'm not trying to make you angry. I'm trying to make you understand that we all have areas of strength and weakness. The last thing I have energy or strength for is a fight, and I have no doubt that you could knock me around like a little cork if you wanted to. I just felt it to be as much my right to contribute to what Fini is doing as you; it's a public forum afterall. I'm not giving him incorrect or 'bad' advice, Craig. My dad, who taught me much of what I know (which is very little compared to some...) has always encouraged me to approach things in a way that, while maybe not providing the quick and easy fix for a problem, would ultimately lead to a deeper understanding. Shawn is also an extremely knowledgeable person with this, and also has aspects of vacuum tube technology with which he has less experienced -- like I do with push-pull compared to single-ended designs. He has helped me bunches of times with things that just didn't make any sense to me, and always did that in a way that did not discredit me for not knowing.

Yeah, that preamp was a mess, and after I redid the snarl of connections associated with the topoogy switch and level controls, I stopped. I told you I wasn't done with it when I sent it back to you, and you might be right about that pesky buzz -- I might not have been able to find it, and then again I might have. I hope you appreciated the extra tubes I had that I gave you with it when I sent it back. I had those 12 volt tubes on hand from my own preamp, but converted back to the 6 volt version. I'm sure you'll be able to find the problem with the aid of your scope. I don't have one of those, but would like one someday.

You bring up my life and chosen path as a teacher. Would you like me to send you references and letters from past college Deans, Presidents, Professors, fellow teachers, parents and most importantly my students? What other support information would you like? I have lists of the volunteer work, professional publications, etc., etc.

Fini: Please take anything I've written as assitance or not -- as you see fit, ok? What you're doing is of great interest to me, which is why I responded. If nothing I've mentioned is useful, than that's totally fine with me.

I'm exhausted.

Erik

Erik,

There is more then one way to fight or are you that slow minded? Trust me I didn't mean it in the physical sense. What do you think, I'm going to hop on a plane for you? Your really not that important Erik.

Are you sure your a teacher?

I didn't want your resume your not getting my point. I want you teaching degree. I'm sure this is another joke that went way over your head again. Just like the one where I asked you how too wire up 4 diodes into a bridge rectifier. I was making fun of you. Why would anyone in there right mind waist there time wiring up 4 diode when the perfect part is at your nearest Radio shack for $2. Another way for Erik to save 50 cents I'm sure. I mean maybe to test something but to actually leave it like that? Geezz that is cheesy. I guess I'm just more professional then you.

I learned real quick that your experience with tube audio is trying to get the last little vestige a hum out of some simple SET amp when we were discussing the problem with my own SET amp and I had to just quit asking you since you always seems 14 steps behind me telling me to use a meter to test this and that. I would reply Erik why I have a scope? Believe me there may have been a time when you had one up on me in the world of tube audio and you may still have an advantage at SET.... well maybe. But when it comes to PP or vintage or preamps or anything that gets complicated you just don't have a prayer.

Go get some sleep maybe tomorrow you'll wake up on the right side of the bed.

Craig

"Believe me there may have been a time when you had one up on me in the

world of tube audio and you may still have an advantage at SET....

well maybe. But when it comes to PP or vintage or preamps or anything

that gets complicated you just don't have a prayer."

This from the guy that had Mark explaining a basic voltage divider to him what... two weeks ago?

Shawn

I have worked on a LOT of equipment that used four diodes instead of a

single full wave bridge in one package. Now I'm getting amused. One

isn't any more correct than another.

Time for bed. 4:30 am comes far too early.

"When you say that Hakko is in court does this mean they have been uses such technology in there products breaking some patient laws? "

Metcal successfully defends patent position against American Hakko Products

Michael Gouldsmith, president of OK International Inc., reported that U.S. District Court Judge Robert M. Takasugi dismissed a lawsuit filed by American Hakko Products, Inc., against OK International's soldering instruments division, Metcal, Inc.

In a suit filed last October, American Hakko sought a declaratory judgment in support of the recent introduction of the FM 202 soldering system, in the hope that the court would forestall a potential claim by OK International and its Metcal division that the FM 202 product infringes U.S. Patent No. 4,839,501.

Metcal moved the court to dismiss the action for lack of jurisdiction. Judge Takasugi granted Metcal's motion, dismissing the case.

Mr. Gouldsmith stated that a great deal of American Hakko's statements, in its complaint to the court, appeared to be based on hearsay and speculation, and that it was not in OK International's interest to get involved in this kind of conduct.

Asked whether OK International would pursue litigation against people it thought were violating its intellectual property rights, Mr. Gouldsmith answered, "yes."

OK International is a subsidiary of the Dover Corporation.

Erik,

There is more then one way to fight or are you that slow minded? Trust me I didn't mean it in the physical sense. What do you think, I'm going to hop on a plane for you? Your really not that important Erik.

Are you sure your a teacher?

I didn't want your resume your not getting my point. I want you teaching degree. I'm sure this is another joke that went way over your head again. Just like the one where I asked you how too wire up 4 diodes into a bridge rectifier. I was making fun of you. Why would anyone in there right mind waist there time wiring up 4 diode when the perfect part is at your nearest Radio shack for $2. Another way for Erik to save 50 cents I'm sure. I mean maybe to test something but to actually leave it like that? Geezz that is cheesy. I guess I'm just more professional then you.

Craig

grenade.jpg

Grenade isn't actually a Warrior, per se, but it's an ordnance so widely employed that no Flame Warriors guide would be complete without mentioning it. When lobbed into a discussion forum Grenade instantly blasts civil discourse into smoking rubble. Grenade's explosive content can be adjusted to the forum's interests. Typical detonating materials can be Bill Clinton, George Bush, gun control, homosexuality, Reagan, SET, test equipment, loosing a poll, abortion, taxes, conspiracy theory, the NEA, welfare reform, etc. When facing certain defeat a Warrior can stall even the most determined attack with a diversionary explosion. Grenade can bea particularly destructive weapon in the hands of Evil Clown, Issues, Troglodyte or even Weenie, but almost any Warrior can use it to gain a temporary strategic advantage. Eagle Scout has been known to throw himself upon Grenade to save the forum.