Need a recommendation for a simple CAD program for cabinet design.

bhendrix

Most industrial CAD programs start at $15,000.00 and end at $100,000.00 +.

And some of them use the IBM OS. The end points are "computed" and you want to hope that they are correct as the machine will be a bit out of sorts if not. Turbocad probably has one of the better low priced programs. Well about 5 years ago, don't know about now.

JJK

If you can live with 2D drawings which most people who are looking for low-cost or free software usually can, I highly recommend that you find an older version of AutoCAD LT. I bought my version new back in 1997 for around $350 and it has paid for itself many times over in projects at my house. You can make your drawings as engineeringly perfect as you want and then make a materials list and go buy what you need.

It is a fully capable and very intuitive CAD program. Type "l" for line and "e" for erase and "c" for circle and so on. Use the "snaps" to make sure your lines meet EXACTLY at intersections or centers of circles (unlike trying to draw in Powerpoint where you guess at exact intersections). You can calibrate your printer so your prints are scaled to a true 1 to 1.

When I was in college, I did purchase a student version of ProE for $25 and it's excellent software IF, IF, IF, you use it all the time. Although it's incredibly powerful (usually more powerful than what you need at the house), it is not intuitive in the least. If you don't regularly use it (like I do at my job), you'll forget how to even start a drawing in a very short time!

If you can live with 2D drawings which most

people who are looking for low-cost or free software usually can, I

highly recommend that you find an older version of AutoCAD LT.

And given that AutoCAD has become somewhat the standard in

2D, it's drawings are easy to share with others.

What?! That's wierd. Never seen that problem.

Set your scale value to 1"=12" or something. Seems like it might be unset.

Well, I like it - I used it to do the patent drawings. Like I said, this was one that while it has a learning curve, is pretty intuitive, and I could use it right away. I'm still learning stuff, though.

Too bad it don't do hatching, I could have used that feature.

DM

Can anyone recommend a simple, inexpensive CAD program to use for cabinet (CornScala) design and layout? I use 3D Home Architect 4 for room and building layout, so something like that would be terrific.

Thanks, friends!

Popbumper can make the motorboards for you, he's got access to all the equipment.

BS

What?! That's wierd. Never seen that problem.

Set your scale value to 1"=12" or something. Seems like it might be unset.

Well,

I like it - I used it to do the patent drawings. Like I said, this was

one that while it has a learning curve, is pretty intuitive, and I

could use it right away. I'm still learning stuff, though.

DM

Could be the problem. They all work differently than drawing programs though. I just haven't had the time to get back to it.