Poll: Is My Scott UPS Proof?

rplace

You are right Craig. Maybe you could forward an appropriately designed vault/box/crate as part of your service since you are strictly mail order. I would pay the extra shipping to receive a protective vault to ship my amps back and forth to you in. You could leave the "next guy's" address in there to forward it on when receiving our amps back.

Just a suggestion. I think it makes good sense for the type of business you are in. Sometimes I actually wait to ship things to you until the "right boxes and packaging" show up at my house from some other transaction. That just delays things on both ends.

I would pay for the protection. [;)]

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Since a lot of equipment is roughly the same size I was thinking not only will this make the back and forth trip between Craig and I, but it could be reused in the future. Anybody who wants to use it in is welcome. Just pay the shipping and it is yours. If I ever need it back, then the last guy stuck with the hot potato needs to send it back to me.

You are right Craig. Maybe you could forward an appropriately designed vault/box/crate as part of your service since you are strictly mail order. I would pay the extra shipping to receive a protective vault to ship my amps back and forth to you in. You could leave the "next guy's" address in there to forward it on when receiving our amps back.

Just a suggestion. I think it makes good sense for the type of business you are in. Sometimes I actually wait to ship things to you until the "right boxes and packaging" show up at my house from some other transaction. That just delays things on both ends.

I would pay for the protection. [;)]

That is a great idea no denying that. Now if the money tree out back would just start dropping $20 bills I'll get right on it[;)] Not trying to air a grevaince or sound like a whining but really guys at the rates I charge and the profits I don't make leaves little money for such things. I'm just a single guy here scratching out a meager living. For instance I have a very cool project I have been working on but no cash to put it into production. Its the fate of small business you have to do what you are able to financially support.

Craig

I do wonder a bit about holding the faceplate by only shallow grooves along even four edges. This pic shows how a foam block for the front of a CAT preamp is shaped to press against the front panel in several places while clearing knobs and switches (an identical block holds the bottom front/edge).

Larry

post-12148-13819274035734_thumb.jpg

I have shipped big computer systems around the world packaged much like

this. The main difference was that they were on a pallet, heavy

enough that they had to be handled by a fork lift, and went air

freight, not UPS. I'll bet the gorillas at UPS will consider this

a challenge... Good luck!

Be sure to put the Scott amp inside a plastic bag,maybe? I just got an LP from Germany and my mail carrier left it beside a planter on my front porch and must of bumped it spilling water onto my Lp box,the lp jacket dried up with no stains. Also I hope Craig doesn't get any splinters opening the crate :) :0 :0

Reminds me of the time I triple boxed my Cayin amp,cause I definitely didn't want that Chinese amp comming back to me after I was lucky to sell it.

Cheers,

Robert

Take the faceplate off. It's not hard and will save you in the end. I have a beautiful bent one to prove it.

That's what I'm afraid of. If the package takes a hard nose dive, the top, bottom and side grooves could bend those face plate edges back. Probably simpler to take the face plate it off than to make artistically carved foam blocks like the CAT's (see my pic above).

Larry

nice box, the new high density military grade polyethene

ATA road case. light an durable, are great with, key an

combination locks, i have a pilot that lives at the airport, an he

reports to me he, has seen packages an package bins take as much as a

15 foot drop, off a convery belt an then just tossed, right back up on

the belt to fall again, good luck

post-16352-13819274071824_thumb.jpg

hi,

That's a great job packing. I have bought and shipped astronomy stuff in the past, optics and mounts.

I pack the scope in a box and it's surrounded bubble wrap and

then by 1 " styrofoam cut to fit. This box goes inside

another box with 2" styrofoam lining all sides and then is completely

wrapped in plastic packing tape. So far I've had no problems.

Larry

Oh do tell...I am on the edge of my seat. I already have one person who wants to use it when we are done to send you more work. Hmmmm, maybe there is a future in this for me. I drum you up more business with my bullet proof anchor, er box. That is assuming it is not slivers of wood and chunks of foam.

So???????

4:30PM and UPS site says it is still out for delivery. Craig if it shows up today let me know how it survived.

No problem but I get $10 each to run my Dewault cordless screw gun to take out screws in the box[:)] I was thinking about charging 25 cents for every piece of foam peanut that hit my floor! Just received a EICO HF89 packaged by the wonderful UPS store with a light wrapping of bubblewrap and then through in a under stuffed box of peanuts. Needless to say this amp is seriously damaged now.

HEAR THIS EVERYONE

If you have a piece of gear that you don't like drop it off at your local UPS store and have it shipped across country insure it for as much as its worth or more because it will surely get damaged. Time and again they are the worst packaging company on earth. They even make the ebay sales crowd look good in comparison.

NOTICE #2

Foam peanuts are not appropriate packing material for audio gear!! Crumpled news paper or solid foam is much better. The peanuts get crushed and then allow your gear to float around in the box.

My rant is over.

Craig

$5 bucks per screw, but I get the Dewault gun on the return trip with the amp. That is my final offer.

So how does the Scott look? Sorry to hear about the other guys EICO.

EDIT, we must have been writing at the same time. I can wait...I have a sliding glass door to fix.